Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum

Display Modes Thread Tools
Tormaster
Level 24
Subtract from Tormaster's ReputationAdd to Tormaster's Reputation Tormaster is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Tormaster Send a message via MSN to Tormaster
09-12-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ibanez 24 View Post
No, I see a positive side to it, further scientific discovery, but big f.cking whoop if it's going to just lead to war. Look at botany for example, no one starts a f.cking war because of some newly discovered plant. No one uses a new newly discovered plant as a way to win war.

I don't see a point in possibly risking all life as we know it to prove something scientific just so later on down the road someone else can use that information to again but the world at stake.

In short, I'm a "negative nancy" when it comes to an ultimate inevitability of a situation. Especially if that situation involves me being told otherwise momentarily just to prove me right later.
Are we still talking about the LHC? Because absolutely nothing they are working on can be used in a war, unless you count the anti-protons they use, but those were discovered a long time ago and have been used for years....

Edit: Ever hear of biochemical weapons? Just curious...

GT: torwizzle

add for customs and all that crap.

Last edited by Tormaster; 09-12-2008 at 11:06 AM.
KalterTod
W...T...F
Subtract from KalterTod's ReputationAdd to KalterTod's Reputation KalterTod finally popped his Bubble Shield KalterTod finally popped his Bubble Shield KalterTod finally popped his Bubble Shield KalterTod finally popped his Bubble Shield
09-14-2008

Meh, I read the first and 4th(last) page of this thread, and I honestly can't conceivably understand why people are getting their panties into such a bunch about this.

Every, and I mean every, physical law that you have ever learned in science since 3rd fkn grade points towards this experiment being safe. These people who come in saying that "well, what if these laws aren't true?" Guess what, if the Laws of Gravity aren't true, then we might have some problems building houses, wouldn't we?

The Law of Conservation of Mass and Energy, more than likely the most fundamental law ever founded by science, completely defeats the possibility of tiny black holes that will swallow the earth. It, just like any other object(and this phenomenon has even been observed...if you don't believe me, go read up on Hawking Radiation), will emit energy at the same rate at which it absorbs energy. Just like why the sun shines, and why we feel its heat, it's the same principle here.

Also, every single day, millions of extremely massive objects burn up in the Earth's atmosphere. Energy is proportional to both the mass and speed of an object. So, a macroscopic object moving at half the speed of light is comparable to an electron moving at the speed of light, thus causing about an equal energy outpouring EVERY SECOND!

If we could capture the sky, and use it to do what we needed, we wouldn't need CERN.

Stop worrying about this pseudo-science crap about black holes that will swallow the universe. There is no threat; ask anyone who knows anything.

This is seriously worse than the Y2K shit. People actually went out and boarded up their houses, and bought years worth of canned goods, only to find out how completely retarded they are.

On the flip side, I can't wait for what this thing is going to discover. Being a Physics major myself, and having studied these things up close for a few years, only to be shot down by the fact that it is merely theory and mathematical evidence that can't be proven unless the LHC comes through as planned, I am so ready for this thing to get turned on...

"Damn! That ass must be made outta dark matter. 'Cuz it's accelerating my expansion!"
Cheehwawa
Level 14
Subtract from Cheehwawa's ReputationAdd to Cheehwawa's Reputation Cheehwawa is a novice
09-15-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ibanez 24 View Post
You want to write the final page to the book? Fine, do so, but don't leave a f.cking cliff hanger for future generations. -_-
Leaving a cliffhanger for the future generations would actually consist of us unlocking all this new great technology and discussing its potential, but not actually testing it.... Sooooo.
GAMERTAG: Cheehwawa
Add me for customs. I play all kinds, from MLG to Tremors to Infection.

Fileshare: Linkage
Check out and rate my files, please!

Substance
Level 28
Subtract from Substance's ReputationAdd to Substance's Reputation Substance is a novice
09-18-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Synergy View Post
This is a really interesting video that discusses the issues from both sides. The interview is with a world renown physicist who believes that the black holes could take years before they appear and he also believes that the strangelet theory is true as well. He believes, through years of research and experimentation, that we may accidentally destroy the world by creating new elements that have never been on Earth before.

He's NOT a "renown physicist". He's a botanist with a minor in physics who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Listen, if the LHC had the potential to destroy the earth, the earth would've already been destroyed. Supernovas launch super-accelerated particles beams traveling at 99.999...% of the speed of light at the earth every single day.
HALZRED
Level 42
Subtract from HALZRED's ReputationAdd to HALZRED's Reputation HALZRED still downloads from Mythica HALZRED still downloads from Mythica HALZRED still downloads from Mythica HALZRED still downloads from Mythica HALZRED still downloads from Mythica HALZRED still downloads from Mythica
09-22-2008

actually if it did in fact produce a black hole it will be so small and would take so long to consume Earth....we would probably have time to possibly do something about it....i don't know what to fuck to do about a black hole though ha.
Froggy618157725
Level 31
Subtract from Froggy618157725's ReputationAdd to Froggy618157725's Reputation Froggy618157725 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Froggy618157725 Send a message via MSN to Froggy618157725 Send a message via Yahoo to Froggy618157725
09-22-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALZRED View Post
actually if it did in fact produce a black hole it will be so small and would take so long to consume Earth....we would probably have time to possibly do something about it....i don't know what to f.ck to do about a black hole though ha.
Easy. You put it in a box. If it consumes the box, simply put it in a bigger box.
Every time, we just put it in a bigger box, thus solving the problem once and for all.

But what abou

ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!!
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Thanks to Shystie for avatar
bLiNdd
Level 28
Subtract from bLiNdd's ReputationAdd to bLiNdd's Reputation bLiNdd is a novice
Send a message via AIM to bLiNdd Send a message via Yahoo to bLiNdd
09-22-2008

2 weeks later.....apparently not.
Tormaster
Level 24
Subtract from Tormaster's ReputationAdd to Tormaster's Reputation Tormaster is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Tormaster Send a message via MSN to Tormaster
09-22-2008

Ahhh that is saddening...

GT: torwizzle

add for customs and all that crap.
Froggy618157725
Level 31
Subtract from Froggy618157725's ReputationAdd to Froggy618157725's Reputation Froggy618157725 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Froggy618157725 Send a message via MSN to Froggy618157725 Send a message via Yahoo to Froggy618157725
09-22-2008

Hehe... I heard one interesting idea. It involves the LHC having created a sort of instability which resolved itself by shutting down before the anomaly could occur. It sounds like Hitchhiker's Guide, which is a great series, so I'll go with that
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Thanks to Shystie for avatar