Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum
 
 
Display Modes Thread Tools
Afraid
Level 35
Afraid's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: la, la la la, la la laa
Posts: 3,189
Subtract from Afraid's ReputationAdd to Afraid's Reputation Afraid is legendary Afraid is legendary Afraid is legendary
Send a message via AIM to Afraid Send a message via MSN to Afraid
#1
07-31-2009
Default

It is highly unfair. Musicians get paid 90% of their money up front through the record deal and tours. When you download music, you are stealing from the corporations.

Prowl
Amazingly Randy
Prowl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bham
Posts: 17,168
Subtract from Prowl's ReputationAdd to Prowl's Reputation Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary
#2
07-31-2009
Default

It is unfair for the corporations, but it is also unfair that no talented musicians get paid the most.

Still unfair though, but I don't really care so much that I would stop downloading.
Prowl
Amazingly Randy
Prowl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bham
Posts: 17,168
Subtract from Prowl's ReputationAdd to Prowl's Reputation Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary
#3
07-31-2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by so,sdn zdeoei View Post
This has nothing to do with the issue presented.
I know, but neither does your post. My post ,however, could raise another sub topic.


edit: speaking of piracy, today my Rapidshare account was shut down due to illegal downloads.

Last edited by Prowl; 07-31-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Delay
Level 44
Delay's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 10,693
Subtract from Delay's ReputationAdd to Delay's Reputation Delay is legendary Delay is legendary Delay is legendary
#4
08-01-2009
Default

Piracy is wrong, no matter what you are pirating.
Delay
Level 44
Delay's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 10,693
Subtract from Delay's ReputationAdd to Delay's Reputation Delay is legendary Delay is legendary Delay is legendary
#5
08-01-2009
Default

Is this thread not titled 'another thread about piracy'? And did you not mention that you and your uncle had a debate on pirating music?

I think my opinionated statement is then, quite fitting actually.
Delay
Level 44
Delay's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 10,693
Subtract from Delay's ReputationAdd to Delay's Reputation Delay is legendary Delay is legendary Delay is legendary
#6
08-01-2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by so,sdn zdeoei View Post
Therefore the OP asked people their position on piracy?
Not technically no, but this isn't school is it? Can I not add my 2 cents to the thread?
Cursed Lemon
Darren Helm's Bitch
Cursed Lemon's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 14,766
Subtract from Cursed Lemon's ReputationAdd to Cursed Lemon's Reputation Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
#7
08-01-2009
Default

There is no difference between me a) downloading something and not buying it, and b) not downloading something and not buying it.

I buy albums that I really like, but if I want to support the artist, then I'll go watch them live. At least they actually GET something out of that.
sl1ck
Banned
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 8,668
Subtract from sl1ck's ReputationAdd to sl1ck's Reputation sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000
#8
08-01-2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by so,sdn zdeoei View Post
Recently I got in an argument with my uncle, and while I am not in any way competent enough to debate with him, did my best and got some interesting thoughts out of it.

He claims that if one does not believe that a musician must be compensated for every copy of music that is sold, they must also - if wanting to be logically consistent - believe that one shouldn't be expected to get compensated for, as an example, doing years of research in creating the microwave, as money is apparently the main motivation for such revolutionary inventions. This starts a downward spiral, as computers wouldn't be created, nor cell phones, nor flashlights, nor vehicles, nor exercise equipment.

Fellow pirates and intellectuals. bring forth your thoughts on this issue. I think the comparison is unfair, but I have a very high chance of being wrong, being an idiot and all.
His argument is based on a Slippery Slope line of reasoning. You can attain music without having to purchase a physical copy of it. I need a computer to download music to begin with. You don't have to take the same approach to consumption to be "logically consistent." The argument your Uncle made isn't even logically consistent- in fact it's based on a fallacious line of reasoning. He also makes the assumption that all items have the same value to consumers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
There is no difference between me a) downloading something and not buying it, and b) not downloading something and not buying it.
Exactly. At the very least, you are listening to the band's music in the first scenario. Most artists would prefer you at least check out their music as opposed to ignoring them altogether. I can see how musicians with enormous egos would be upset by downloading. However, even the most irrational, egotistical musician would admit that they would rather you listen to their music than not.

So some scenarios related to downloading music:
- I like [name of band], but I can't afford to purchase their music. I either like Lemon said download something and listen to the band or I don't download their music and I don't listen to them. No difference in the outcomes.

- I don't know anything about [name of band], and I can't afford to purchase their music/have little extra money and only want to spend it on music I like for sure. I download their music and listen to them, I don't download their music and listen to them. Option B presents no positive outcomes for the band. Let's say I download some of their albums, and I don't like them. Ok, band doesn't get anything out of it like in option B. But let's say I download their albums, and I really dig their stuff. I have ten bucks, and I decide to buy a physical copy of an album. I might even tell a few friends about them. I might even see them on tour if they play near me. I may do none of those things if I download their music, but at least there are several chances for positive outcomes if I download their music.
Prowl
Amazingly Randy
Prowl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bham
Posts: 17,168
Subtract from Prowl's ReputationAdd to Prowl's Reputation Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary
#9
08-01-2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by so,sdn zdeoei View Post
Therefore the OP asked people their position on piracy? You obviously didn't read the thread thoroughly enough.

But you're wrong.
Stop being an asshole. This thread is about piracy, not just your question.
Winning
cum on stehp it up!
Winning's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chi-town
Posts: 11,439
Subtract from Winning's ReputationAdd to Winning's Reputation Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided
Send a message via MSN to Winning Send a message via Yahoo to Winning Send a message via Skype™ to Winning
#10
08-01-2009
Default

Whatever happened to "Sharing is Caring"? It doesn't really apply but i'll be damned if I stand around and let my childhood die but something other then the great 34.

On topic: Piracy is bad.
Al's sweet ass


 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off