Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum

Display Modes Thread Tools
Prowl
Amazingly Randy
Subtract from Prowl's ReputationAdd to Prowl's Reputation Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary
05-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReD Sh0t
Just because we made something up doesnt mean it exist throughout the universe.
This is the part where I don't know what you are talking about. Are you saying that it's possible that maybe somewhere in the universe our known physics will not apply and we couldn't simply measure an object with...say a ruler or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReD Sh0t View Post
Theres things smaller than we can imagine
Possibly

Quote:
and there are things bigger than we can imagine.
We have a pretty decent understanding of how big our universe actually is. Whether there are separate universes and/or parallel universes....no one knows.

Quote:
Thats why i think the universe is infinite.
So are you saying that since you think it's possible for extrodiinarily big things to exist....then the universe would have to be infinite? I don't agree with that personally, and again, scientists have a pretty good understanding about how big our universe is right now and most believe that expansion will one day slow down and probably even collapse upon itself. A new big bang may start after that.

Quote:
Maybe we don't have nothing that is infinite because we are so small
Black holes are said to be infinite in curvature.

Quote:
Lets say the biggest star we know has some sort of life on it
Very unlikely life would be on a star because of the extreme heat.
Quote:
They would be EXTREMELY small measurements. Thats like us saying, nothing is smaller than a cell.
I understand what you are saying here, but I just want to point out that there are many things that we know of that are much smaller than a cell.
ReD Sh0t
Level 16
Subtract from ReD Sh0t's ReputationAdd to ReD Sh0t's Reputation ReD Sh0t is a novice
Send a message via AIM to ReD Sh0t
05-04-2009

I said imagine theres life on it, Not that there is, And once again, we cant grasp how big something that is infinite is, its like saying you know how big the distance of 14 light years is, its easy to draw it out on paper in scale, but no one in this earth can imagine it in their head, its too big to imagine. Im sure the universe doesn't just end. I still stand on the universe being infinite.

Will - Hi im will :)
Muffin Mouth
<3
Subtract from Muffin Mouth's ReputationAdd to Muffin Mouth's Reputation Muffin Mouth is on the rise to fame Muffin Mouth is on the rise to fame
05-04-2009

Quote:
I said imagine theres life on it, Not that there is, And once again, we cant grasp how big something that is infinite is, its like saying you know how big the distance of 14 light years is, its easy to draw it out on paper in scale, but no one on this earth can imagine it in their head, its too big to imagine. Im sure the universe doesn't just end. I still stand on the universe being infinite.

Fixed.

ReD Sh0t
Level 16
Subtract from ReD Sh0t's ReputationAdd to ReD Sh0t's Reputation ReD Sh0t is a novice
05-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
This is the part where I don't know what you are talking about. Are you saying that it's possible that maybe somewhere in the universe our known physics will not apply and we couldn't simply measure an object with...say a ruler or something?
No, I just think that nothing is the biggest, theres always something bigger or smaller than anything. It keeps going because the universe is infinite. We have only seen a small spec of the universe and we have already seen stars larger than our sun by billions of times.

Quote:
We have a pretty decent understanding of how big our universe actually is. Whether there are separate universes and/or parallel universes....no one knows.
Im just putting my opinion out there, If you say its not, then you are basicly saying we are in a huge ballon and once we reach the ballon wall theres no where to go?

Quote:
So are you saying that since you think it's possible for extrodiinarily big things to exist....then the universe would have to be infinite? I don't agree with that personally, and again, scientists have a pretty good understanding about how big our universe is right now and most believe that expansion will one day slow down and probably even collapse upon itself. A new big bang may start after that.
How can something slow down when there is no force/gravity that is making it slow down? Only thing it will do is possibly cluster together but it will remain in a steady speed.
Quote:
In distance, not curvature. The universe doesnt end.

Quote:
Very unlikely life would be on a star because of the extreme heat.
I said imagine, imagine if a "earth" the size of that sun existed.
Quote:
I understand what you are saying here, but I just want to point out that there are many things that we know of that are much smaller than a cell.
It was an example.

Last edited by ReD Sh0t; 05-04-2009 at 01:44 PM.
ReD Sh0t
Level 16
05-04-2009

Wow sorry, That was a faliure at quoting someone lol, Read the post above in your quotes, i answered them but it looks like you posted them xD, im new to this sorry.

Prowl
Amazingly Randy
Subtract from Prowl's ReputationAdd to Prowl's Reputation Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary
05-04-2009

Quote:
Wow sorry, That was a faliure at quoting someone lol, Read the post above in your quotes, i answered them but it looks like you posted them xD, im new to this sorry.
click on edit near the bottom right of your post frame (next to quick reply) and then click the delete button. To fix your post above, type [quote] and then paste what i said and then type [/quote] after what I said.

Quote:
its like saying you know how big the distance of 14 light years is, its easy to draw it out on paper in scale, but no one in this earth can imagine it in their head, its too big to imagine.
That's true.

And what I was saying about the star thing is that it's much more likely for aliens to live on a planet rather than a star, but that's not all that important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSh0t
Im just putting my opinion out there, If you say its not, then you are basicly saying we are in a huge ballon and once we reach the ballon wall theres no where to go?
Correct

The only difference is right now the balloon is expanding and eventually it will collapse onto itself.

Quote:
How can something slow down when there is no force/gravity that is making it slow down? Only thing it will do is possibly cluster together but it will remain in a steady speed.
If the mass density of the universe is greater than the "critical density", then the strength of the gravitational force will stop the universe from expanding and the universe will collapse back on itself. This is called the Big Crunch. If the mass density is less than the critical density then it will expand forever and everything in the universe will freeze. This is called the Big Chill (aren't these names fun? lol).

And we are 100% sure that the universe's expansion hasn't always been at a steady speed though. Ever since the big bang expansion has been slowing down up until recently which may be due to dark matter's involvement in the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowl
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSh0t
In distance, not curvature. The universe doesnt end.
Black holes are certainly not infinite in distance. There are all different sized black holes. Examples - Super Massive black holes (super massive), stellar black holes (big), primordial black holes (smallest with potential to be huge)
Black holes, however, are theoretically infinite in curvature since light cannot escape from them.

Last edited by Prowl; 05-04-2009 at 01:54 PM.
ReD Sh0t
Level 16
05-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post

And what I was saying about the star thing is that it's much more likely for aliens to live on a planet rather than a star, but that's not all that important.
It was an example bro lol, I meant to say imagine a planet the size of the sun a billion times bigger than ours.

Prowl
Amazingly Randy
05-04-2009

Quote:
It was an example bro lol, I meant to say imagine a planet the size of the sun a billion times bigger than ours.
I know, I was just being picky. That's why I said it wasn't all that important. I also added to my above post.
ReD Sh0t
Level 16
05-04-2009

We can go back and forth all day about this, hopefully before i die there will be many things answered about the mystery of life/space. I am really interested in these kinds of things and get easily pulled into a 1hour special in the history channel alot lol xD. You have good points and i think i do aswell, but hopefully these questions dont stay unanswered for ever.

Octavion
Level 28
Subtract from Octavion's ReputationAdd to Octavion's Reputation Octavion is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Octavion
05-04-2009

Nothing is impossible. Why wouldn't other beings be out there. I want a pet Grunt.

^Thanks Millionaire Hoy