Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate
View Poll Results: Do you believe in God?
Yes. 55 60.44%
No. 36 39.56%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Display Modes Thread Tools
Lazyana
Level 25
Subtract from Lazyana's ReputationAdd to Lazyana's Reputation Lazyana is a novice
12-23-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabiit View Post
The reason good people who dont believe in God will go to hell is because like you said they dont believe Jesus christ is there lord and saviour. Now that sounds pretty stupid when put like that, however our reason here on earth is not to help the old lady cross the street ect. But it is to worship God and get others to worship him.
I don't think what you said made much sense? Unless I'm reading it wrong, you're saying, NOT to help the old lady across the street? But rather just to worship God and get others to do so also? So you could let the old lady get ran over, but as long as you believe in God you're game?

Quote:
Now as for people being raised a certain religion. You will find God gave us free will. Now being able to choose what religion you are is part of the "free will" package
God gave us free will to choose our religion? So if you're religionless you cannot have free will? You have to choose one or suffer?

Quote:
dont tell me no one changes thier religion becuase I myself have converted people from thier religion to christianity.

Yes, I changed my religion, I was Christian, ( old friends got me to go ), it's not like I just woke up one day and said God wasn't real, or any God for that matter... I've been to Church, so it's not like I'm just saying things. I don't believe in God because he's not all that "out there", now every Christian in the world would throw "z003mmggg iz culled faith!1!"

Faith doesn't always solve everything for something that's not explainable. Do you see me answering with "The Big Bang was real! So is evolution! It's called faith!"

Now I'm not saying either are right, but I would rather sort of stay in the safe-zone, and just live my life happily, not saying Christians (or other) don't, but if I go to Hell, then so be it, wouldn't be like I was the first or the only anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesegrady87 View Post

The Catholic Church would say that whether or not a person has even heard of Jesus, they have, their entire life, heard the voice of the Holy Spirit. Some might use the word conscience or spirit guide, moral voice, or just the intrinsic knowledge of good and evil built into all human beings. A person can achieve salvation by either choosing to follow or reject the Holy Spirit acting through the many different facets of their life. For those of us raised with the knowledge of Christ, our salvation is more dependant upon not only the workings of the Holy Spirit within us, but also our following of the teachings of Christ.

That's funny, I don't ever once remember any spirits or Gods talking to me in my life ever, I'm totally open for him talking to me, lol, I've never heard God(s) or Jesus, so does that mean I've never heard of Christianity? Yeah, of course I've seen it where I live, but have I HEARD of it? So what if Jesus died on the Cross for me, I didn't ask him to, why should I even go to Hell just for that? What gives the diseased HIV Infected African's who haven't heard of Jesus able to go, but not a completely good citizen with morals that actually fill in with rules from the bible not able?

Quote:
Catholics believe in a God of mercy. No God would ever send a man who has lived a good life but has never even heard of Christianity to hell.
So, aslong as you haven't heard of Christianity you don't have to "work" as "hard" as others to get there? I find that funny, because this same God wouldn't send them for Hell for not knowing, when he is God, why wouldn't he do something about telling them somehow? He simply leaves it, and sends them up anyways?

He can allow them to Heaven for something as small as not knowing, but he won't send somebody who doesn't believe in him to Heaven, just because they have no true facts to believe? I find that extremely unfair and truthfully retarded. He lets them slide, but not me, I don't believe in God, remember?

Quote:
Here's another common misconception. You're an atheist. (theon in greek means God, theist is one who believes in God... you said you don't believe in God, so you are, by definition, an atheist.)
Yes, that is true, if I didn't choose what it would be labeled as though. I see myself as more of just not believing, appose to actually having a definition for it, but whatever.

Quote:
You look at the myriad of Gods out there and choose not to accept any of them, saying that none of them exist. Don't you realize that saying "I don't believe in God" is a belief system in and of itself? Denying God's existance is one of those pieces of the pie. Granted, it is probably the piece of the pie least similar to all the others, but atheism, in and of itself is a choice.

I don't see how saying "I don't believe in God" is a belief system, considering I don't wake up every day, go to a building and worship it. It was more of a statement then a belief. I don't believe in God, there, I said it... how would that in anyway be me believing in something? It's me throwing out a statement... in a small way it is a belief, but I do not see that in anyway being a religion itself, it's sort of the default, then the religions come in. As you some-what said, Atheism isn't a religion, it's a choice. Saying I am Atheist is not a religion.

Quote:
It is incredibly wrong to base a choice on the fact that you don't like choosing. Where is the logic in that?

Did you not read my debate? How would that be choosing, I left out totally credible questions and answers for why I don't believe in God, who said I didn't like choosing anyways? I don't once remember stating that, I remember saying I don't believe in God, I never once said I JUST didn't like believing in anything for the sake of not believing in anything.

*EDIT*

BigboyIdiot for Atheist President.

Last edited by Lazyana; 12-23-2006 at 05:12 PM.
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
12-23-2006

Quote:
Its awfuly coincedental that people go into siezures during prayer and such.
Not really. Considering that many people have seizures frequently (until they are treated by a medical professional), probability dictates that they'll have one during prayer sooner or later.

Quote:
Would you be able to tell me who long people often go into seizures for because these "seizures" are pretty quick and they are pretty fine after it them.
It completely depends. Some people are fine seconds after it happens, and for others, they might take hours to get back to normal. Seizures are the direct result of a serious chemical imbalance within the brain, that can, if it goes untreated, cause people's perception of reality to become distorted. Ever wonder why people who have seizures and claim to have abnormal experiences reject the notion that they've had a seizure, and claim it was something else? It's a direct result of their ability to reason being compromised.

You would claim that people who've had seizures, and hullucinated seeing god, are divinly inspired, but I'd bet you'd say that other people who've had identical seizures, and claimed to be abducted by aliens, are complete whack-jobs. Am I right? What someone sees during their seizure, and why, is a bit harder to explain without you having intimate knowledge of neurobiology...

Quote:
And I dont think any of the people I told you about are epilepitic but of course I dont know for sure.
You don't have to be epileptic to have a seizure - the fact you insinuated so means you have no idea what a seizure is.

Quote:
Also I know that people have it way worse than I do but that doesnt change all the hardships and hurt that I have had to go through and I guess the fact that I was unable to pull my self out of the "hole" I was in without God while you were able to pull your self out of much bigger holes without God means that I am weaker than you. But once again, what does that change?
That doesn't mean you're weaker than me at all - it only means I believed I could get myself out of a hole without any help, and you didn't. You could have brought yourself up without god if you really wanted to.
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
PhilliesPhan
Auld Lang Syne
Subtract from PhilliesPhan's ReputationAdd to PhilliesPhan's Reputation PhilliesPhan is a novice
Send a message via AIM to PhilliesPhan
12-23-2006

All of you should read this:

http://www.unm.edu/~humanism/socvsjes.htm
Mobb was here.
G0tRuNks
Level 22
Subtract from G0tRuNks's ReputationAdd to G0tRuNks's Reputation G0tRuNks is a novice
Send a message via AIM to G0tRuNks Send a message via MSN to G0tRuNks
12-23-2006

heres the way i see u can belive in god and find out when u die,
i changed my gamer tag
Old gamer tag : I G0tRuNks I
New gamer tag : I JaY Are I
so add me for MLG or Customs
White Rabiit
Level 12
Subtract from White Rabiit's ReputationAdd to White Rabiit's Reputation White Rabiit is a novice
12-24-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyÞanða™ View Post
I don't think what you said made much sense? Unless I'm reading it wrong, you're saying, NOT to help the old lady across the street? But rather just to worship God and get others to do so also? So you could let the old lady get ran over, but as long as you believe in God you're game?
No no no not at all by all means help the old lady cross the street. What I was saying is our purpose here on earth (according to my Christian believes) is to worship and praise God. Do not try to twist what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyÞanða™ View Post
god gave us free will to choose our religion? So if you're religion less you cannot have free will? You have to choose one or suffer?
This time you failed to twist what I said. I said "choosing what religion you are is PART of the freewill package". Did you notice the emphasis on PART?

Phillie I read some of the things in your link. That was they most bias and uneducated thing I have ever read. Seriously the amount of things in that link that were NOT correct with standard Christian views is unbelievable. Satan is not locked up in hell WTF gave you that idea? Satan is rooming this world telling idiots such as your self and the person that wrote that thing lies. Because he is the father of lies Jesus called him that himself yet he failed to mention that in that link. Seriously its atheist such as your self and the author of that thing that piss me off sooo much. You have no fucking clue what you are talking about yet after reading things like these you think you caught Christians in a little corner. Man if you EVER read a fucking bible even the new testament you would know that Jesus is wise and that many times idiots such as the pharisees and your self tried many, many times to do what that retarded author thought he just did.

Last edited by White Rabiit; 12-24-2006 at 11:21 AM.
cheesegrady87
Level 11
Subtract from cheesegrady87's ReputationAdd to cheesegrady87's Reputation cheesegrady87 is a novice
12-24-2006

Quote:
That's funny, I don't ever once remember any spirits or Gods talking to me
That's entirely not what I meant. I'm not talking about literal voices in your head like a schizophrenic person. Rather I was speaking of the "moral voice" that is built into all of us. Y'know that part of you that says, "maybe you shouldn't slap the old lady."

All of us have that moral compass within us, a conscience if you will.

Quote:
Yeah, of course I've seen it where I live, but have I HEARD of it? So what if Jesus died on the Cross for me, I didn't ask him to, why should I even go to Hell just for that?
According to what Christians say the sacrifice of the cross was offered so that you wouldn't go to hell. And if you don't even believe in God, why are you upset about Christ dying for you even though he didn't ask beforehand?

Quote:
What gives the diseased HIV Infected African's who haven't heard of Jesus able to go, but not a completely good citizen with morals that actually fill in with rules from the bible not able?
When did I say that?

Quote:
So, aslong as you haven't heard of Christianity you don't have to "work" as "hard" as others to get there?
I would say the opposite. I really don't know, since I'm not God, but I would saying having of a knowledge Christ and what is expected of us would make it much easier for the Grace of God and the Holy Spirit to work within us.

Quote:
why wouldn't he do something about telling them somehow? He simply leaves it, and sends them up anyways?
Well... he is doing something about. In fact, you're experiencing it right now.

Quote:
He can allow them to Heaven for something as small as not knowing, but he won't send somebody who doesn't believe in him to Heaven, just because they have no true facts to believe? I find that extremely unfair and truthfully retarded. He lets them slide, but not me, I don't believe in God, remember?
God gives everyone the Grace necessary for salvation. Just because you've heard of Christianity doesn't mean you really know much of anything about it. I really don't know you personally, so I couldn't say much, but from what I know of a vast number of American Youth, is that so many are completely ignorant of Christian Doctine.

What do you mean by "true facts?"

Quote:
I don't see how saying "I don't believe in God" is a belief system
I never said anything about a "system." I just was talking about beliefs. Whether you like it or not, you just made a statement of belief.

Quote:
considering I don't wake up every day, go to a building and worship it.
I've never worshipped a building either.

Quote:
It was more of a statement then a belief. I don't believe in God, there, I said it... how would that in anyway be me believing in something?
You could just as easily restate what you just said as: I believe there is no God.

Quote:
It's me throwing out a statement... in a small way it is a belief, but I do not see that in anyway being a religion itself
I'm not talking about religion. A religion is an organized system of beliefs. A belief could be classified more of as just that: a belief or a faith, you might even call it a spirituality.

And as an aside: many of your sentences make absolutley no sense grammatically. You have a tendency to just leave a few words out here and there and I have to just assume what you meant. A little proofreading on your part would make my life a whole lot easier.
"Science can purify religion from error and superstition. Religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes."
-Pope John Paul II
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
Subtract from The Colostomizer's ReputationAdd to The Colostomizer's Reputation The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000
12-24-2006

Quote:
You could just as easily restate what you just said as: I believe there is no God.
Those are two very different things. If you bet on a horse race, do you necessarily choose one horse over all of the others because you deny the possibility that any of the other horses will win? <That's a rhetorical question.>
Lammie
Level 100 Jolteon
Subtract from Lammie's ReputationAdd to Lammie's Reputation Lammie is on the rise to fame Lammie is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to Lammie
12-24-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colostomizer View Post
Those are two very different things. If you bet on a horse race, do you necessarily choose one horse over all of the others because you deny the possibility that any of the other horses will win? <That's a rhetorical question.>
Yes.But not really.
Thank you.

Not mentioned in signature: Rebal <3
Lammiespace.

*Hip Thrust*
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
Subtract from The Colostomizer's ReputationAdd to The Colostomizer's Reputation The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000
12-24-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammie View Post
Yes.But not really.
I'll cut you. Srsly, I will.