Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate
View Poll Results: Do you believe in God?
Yes. 55 60.44%
No. 36 39.56%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Display Modes Thread Tools
Froggy618157725
Level 31
Subtract from Froggy618157725's ReputationAdd to Froggy618157725's Reputation Froggy618157725 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Froggy618157725 Send a message via MSN to Froggy618157725 Send a message via Yahoo to Froggy618157725
12-21-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLi View Post
That's basically the same crap I hear all the time. You got better. whoop-de fcking do.
Hey...if you can help it...you should be a little less...umm...harsh?

No one totally belittles your post with a "whoop-de f*cking doo"...and really, you're not adding any more intelligence to the conversation...what's the point of being demeaning?

Other than the thrill of offending someone...I can't see any point to it.

Would you mind being a little more open to discussion? How about instead of biting his head off for telling a very personal story...you might try and converse with him about the situation around him?

Why ya gotta be a prick about it?

And if you're going to be harsh on him, go after me, too. I have many similar stories, though less serious. Is there anything making my stories any more valid? Ignoring it helps no one.

As far as speaking in tongues go, I don't think that's any form of epilepsy or seizure. I think it's more of a controlled craziness, where you release all of the control you generally hold over your impulses and just make the sounds, noises, and actions you want to. I suppose it could actually be quite healthy, so long as you don't convince everyone that you're crazy. You express your emotions in a more pure form, and it's never good to hide your emotions for too long. Now, if it's a language of some sort, then don't you think scientifically minded people would've recorded and studied it? Not many languages work without any set patterns or meanings...
[/tag team]
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Thanks to Shystie for avatar
SPDRMaYnE !
Level 28
Subtract from SPDRMaYnE !'s ReputationAdd to SPDRMaYnE !'s Reputation SPDRMaYnE ! is a novice
12-21-2006

I believe. Not out of fear, though.

The Space of Mine That I Own Personally
DIGIMON IS COOL

Somebody Set Us Up The Bomb
Froggy618157725
Level 31
Subtract from Froggy618157725's ReputationAdd to Froggy618157725's Reputation Froggy618157725 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Froggy618157725 Send a message via MSN to Froggy618157725 Send a message via Yahoo to Froggy618157725
12-21-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
I believe. Not out of fear, though.
Could you go into a little more detail?

1mEsSD^KiD
It's Da Secksy Time!
Subtract from 1mEsSD^KiD's ReputationAdd to 1mEsSD^KiD's Reputation 1mEsSD^KiD is a novice
Send a message via AIM to 1mEsSD^KiD
12-21-2006

I do not believe in God.

I just cant put myself across to believe it, I mean how do you know some random guy didnt write the bible. Or that it is a whole made up story.

If God was real, than why do good people die in war everyday. Why are so many lives lost, so many things go bad.

Has god every really talked back to you, I know they say you cant physically hear him, but Ive tryed it before and I could not get any response in any shape or form.

It hit me one day that, what is the harm in believing in god. I just dont think it would be right to believe in him for a reason not out of pure faith and heart.
White Rabiit
Level 12
Subtract from White Rabiit's ReputationAdd to White Rabiit's Reputation White Rabiit is a novice
12-22-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy618157725 View Post
As far as speaking in tongues go, I don't think that's any form of epilepsy or seizure. I think it's more of a controlled craziness, where you release all of the control you generally hold over your impulses and just make the sounds, noises, and actions you want to. I suppose it could actually be quite healthy, so long as you don't convince everyone that you're crazy. You express your emotions in a more pure form, and it's never good to hide your emotions for too long. Now, if it's a language of some sort, then don't you think scientifically minded people would've recorded and studied it? Not many languages work without any set patterns or meanings...
[/tag team]
For my mother it is definatly not releasing controlled impulses because sometimes she will be in public and she will try so hard to keep it in but it comes out anyways. Also I am guessing its like the languge angels speak and yes it does follow a pattern as she will sometimes say the same thing again. As for the meaning I believe that you can speak things propheticaly (more-so speak things into existance) so the meaning of them may be something like that. Sorry for wasting your time if when you said "meanings" you meant that the tounges dont stand for any words.
Froggy618157725
Level 31
12-22-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabiit View Post
For my mother it is definatly not releasing controlled impulses because sometimes she will be in public and she will try so hard to keep it in but it comes out anyways. Also I am guessing its like the languge angels speak and yes it does follow a pattern as she will sometimes say the same thing again. As for the meaning I believe that you can speak things propheticaly (more-so speak things into existance) so the meaning of them may be something like that. Sorry for wasting your time if when you said "meanings" you meant that the tounges dont stand for any words.
It sounds interesting... The hard part is studying it without interfering. I wonder if anyones done any research on it. Even if it's simply recording it and analyzing the patterns. Considering some stuff I've experienced, I can't flat out reject that without being hypocritical.

I just searched for any scientific research for it. It seems that while speaking in tongues, the areas of the brain dealing with language are less active, and it appears to lack set syntax. Regardless of its source, I wouldn't expect it to be the same from person to person.

Lazyana
Level 25
Subtract from Lazyana's ReputationAdd to Lazyana's Reputation Lazyana is a novice
12-22-2006

Are you kidding me? You guys went over my post twice, tell me what you think, if my post is missed again... then wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyana View Post

No, I do not believe in God. It's one of the things I really don't think about in my daily life, I get by well though. As The Colostimizer had pointed out, I believe Religion is just a "free shortcut" for a way out of not knowing the answers to things, of course I can't explain weither or not God is real, but I can state my opinion and reasonings towards why I do not.

One thing I've always stood by and I don't think anyone has ever been able to answer, is... why would God send an innocent person, no matter what their life or morals may be centered by, to hell, simply for lose of facts and faith towards weither or not he is real? It's interesting if you think about it..

..God sees somebody who lives their life perfectly free of sin, no curses, no crimes, no racism, and no harm or disrespect to anything on Earth.. but this person finds no real facts or reasons for believing that Jesus died on the cross for him, this man then passes away at 80 years old, and you tell me he is eligible for a free ticket to Hell? Now I know not everybody can live free of sin, it's human nature to sin, but if you sort of think of the whole idea around it, why should he go to Hell and suffer?

Another reason I don't believe in God is simply because there's so many religions out there, who's to be right, and who's to be wrong? They cannot help that they were brought up to believe what they were, so now they're also obligated for a one way ticket to Hell like the man mentioned before? And if they aren't, then what makes somebody who doesn't believe in a supreme being able to go to Hell?

Honestly, if I don't believe in Hell/Heaven, and I'm down to the last core, WITHOUT a doubt not going to believe in God, then won't I die the way I want? I think whatever you believe in, that's up to you, who's God to tell me what to live by? I have nicely set Morals, and I shouldn't have to be told that if I don't believe that Jesus died for me on the cross, that I'll go to Hell. That's bullshit.

White Rabiit
Level 12
Subtract from White Rabiit's ReputationAdd to White Rabiit's Reputation White Rabiit is a novice
12-23-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyana View Post
No, I do not believe in God. It's one of the things I really don't think about in my daily life, I get by well though. As The Colostimizer had pointed out, I believe Religion is just a "free shortcut" for a way out of not knowing the answers to things, of course I can't explain weither or not God is real, but I can state my opinion and reasonings towards why I do not.

One thing I've always stood by and I don't think anyone has ever been able to answer, is... why would God send an innocent person, no matter what their life or morals may be centered by, to hell, simply for lose of facts and faith towards weither or not he is real? It's interesting if you think about it..

..God sees somebody who lives their life perfectly free of sin, no curses, no crimes, no racism, and no harm or disrespect to anything on Earth.. but this person finds no real facts or reasons for believing that Jesus died on the cross for him, this man then passes away at 80 years old, and you tell me he is eligible for a free ticket to Hell? Now I know not everybody can live free of sin, it's human nature to sin, but if you sort of think of the whole idea around it, why should he go to Hell and suffer?

Another reason I don't believe in God is simply because there's so many religions out there, who's to be right, and who's to be wrong? They cannot help that they were brought up to believe what they were, so now they're also obligated for a one way ticket to Hell like the man mentioned before? And if they aren't, then what makes somebody who doesn't believe in a supreme being able to go to Hell?

Honestly, if I don't believe in Hell/Heaven, and I'm down to the last core, WITHOUT a doubt not going to believe in God, then won't I die the way I want? I think whatever you believe in, that's up to you, who's God to tell me what to live by? I have nicely set Morals, and I shouldn't have to be told that if I don't believe that Jesus died for me on the cross, that I'll go to Hell. That's bullshit.
The reason good people who dont believe in God will go to hell is because like you said they dont believe Jesus christ is there lord and saviour. Now that sounds pretty stupid when put like that, however our reason here on earth is not to help the old lady cross the street ect. But it is to worship God and get others to worship him.

Now as for people being raised a certain religion. You will find God gave us free will. Now being able to choose what religion you are is part of the "free will" package and dont tell me no one changes thier religion becuase I myself have converted people from thier religion to christianity.
cheesegrady87
Level 11
Subtract from cheesegrady87's ReputationAdd to cheesegrady87's Reputation cheesegrady87 is a novice
12-23-2006

Quote:

Well... you're right. God does not send people to hell simply because they don't believe in him. A protestant would probably disagree with what I just said.

One of the huge differences between Protestants and Catholics is the idea of Salvation. A Protestant would say that all you have to do is at one point in your life "profess Jesus as your own personal Lord and Savior" and then BAM! you've got a free irrevocable ticket to heaven. (and supposedly that's all based on scripture) A Catholic's idea of salvation is not a one time event in someone's life and is not based purely on a person's belief. The Catholic Church says that salvation is a process. We are not "saved" in the preterite, rather it is a continuous process that involves all of the following tenses: saved, have been saved, am being saved, will be saved, etc. Salvation is not based solely on what a person believes but also upon how a person lives out those convictions.

The Catholic Church would say that whether or not a person has even heard of Jesus, they have, their entire life, heard the voice of the Holy Spirit. Some might use the word conscience or spirit guide, moral voice, or just the intrinsic knowledge of good and evil built into all human beings. A person can achieve salvation by either choosing to follow or reject the Holy Spirit acting through the many different facets of their life. For those of us raised with the knowledge of Christ, our salvation is more dependant upon not only the workings of the Holy Spirit within us, but also our following of the teachings of Christ.

Catholics believe in a God of mercy. No God would ever send a man who has lived a good life but has never even heard of Christianity to hell.

Quote:
Another reason I don't believe in God is simply because there's so many religions out there, who's to be right, and who's to be wrong?
Here's another common misconception. You're an atheist. (theon in greek means God, theist is one who believes in God... you said you don't believe in God, so you are, by definition, an atheist.)

You look at the myriad of Gods out there and choose not to accept any of them, saying that none of them exist. Don't you realize that saying "I don't believe in God" is a belief system in and of itself? Denying God's existance is one of those pieces of the pie. Granted, it is probably the piece of the pie least similar to all the others, but atheism, in and of itself is a choice.

It is incredibly wrong to base a choice on the fact that you don't like choosing. Where is the logic in that?
"Science can purify religion from error and superstition. Religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes."
-Pope John Paul II
General AI
Eats Small Children
Subtract from General AI's ReputationAdd to General AI's Reputation General AI is a novice
12-23-2006

People here are automaticly thinking of God as the one described in the bible, does anyone believe in a higher being?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuff
...you're a terrorist sympathizer. I'd rather be an idiot if that's the choice. At least I'd be a person, though stupid, who is at least on the right side of morality. God doesn't care if you're stupid or not, he does care if you are evil or not.