Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate
View Poll Results: Do you believe in God?
Yes. 55 60.44%
No. 36 39.56%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Display Modes Thread Tools
Captain Obvious
Physicist
Subtract from Captain Obvious's ReputationAdd to Captain Obvious's Reputation Captain Obvious is a novice
Send a message via MSN to Captain Obvious
12-16-2006

Have you existed forever? No. Things age. Let's see...The sun still has 98% of it's hydrogen. How could it be if the universe has existed forever? It would've ran out long ago. Guess what though? It's still very abundant in the universe.

"What I cannot create, I do not understand." - Richard Feynman
Run At Me
Level 24
Subtract from Run At Me's ReputationAdd to Run At Me's Reputation Run At Me is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Run At Me
12-16-2006

I believe there is something greater than you and me out there not necassarily the christian version of god.

Momento Mori
Froggy618157725
Level 31
Subtract from Froggy618157725's ReputationAdd to Froggy618157725's Reputation Froggy618157725 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Froggy618157725 Send a message via MSN to Froggy618157725 Send a message via Yahoo to Froggy618157725
12-16-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
The universe had to have a beginning or else we wouldn't be here. Something that pre-existed had to have been created.
Start------------------------------------------------------>

Also, I don't think anyone has ever recorded every single detail to answer our questions about anything. So it leads to further questions.
If the universe is 100% deterministic, then in a sense, every detail has been recorded and could be reverse engineered through observing the whole picture. But with indeterminacy and whatnot, that can't happen. But yeah, that's the beauty of science. Every answer leads to more questions.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Thanks to Shystie for avatar
Froggy618157725
Level 31
Subtract from Froggy618157725's ReputationAdd to Froggy618157725's Reputation Froggy618157725 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Froggy618157725 Send a message via MSN to Froggy618157725 Send a message via Yahoo to Froggy618157725
12-16-2006

Quote:
Have you existed forever? No. Things age. Let's see...The sun still has 98% of it's hydrogen. How could it be if the universe has existed forever? It would've ran out long ago. Guess what though? It's still very abundant in the universe.
How do you know you haven't existed forever? Without experience or time to judge your own existence by, would you be aware of it? Whose to say you haven't always existed, but had no resources to do anything about it till you gained a connection to your body. That is, if the two are separable...

Anyways, our solar system hasn't always existed. The Milky Way hasn't always existed. Our galactic cluster hasn't always existed. The atoms we've all grown so fond of haven't always existed. The universe as we know it hasn't always existed, but that doesn't tell you that it didn't exist prior to that, just that we aren't sure what it was. It could be cyclic, with alternating big bangs and crunches, or part of a much larger multiverse, or any number of other things.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Thanks to Shystie for avatar
Keaver
Level 50
Subtract from Keaver's ReputationAdd to Keaver's Reputation Keaver is on the rise to fame Keaver is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to Keaver
12-16-2006

Quote:
The Sun doesn't make the universe. The sun was created after a supernova occurred.
Keaver
Level 50
Subtract from Keaver's ReputationAdd to Keaver's Reputation Keaver is on the rise to fame Keaver is on the rise to fame
12-16-2006

Quote:
So, if you're saying most then they are infact real since it would clarify that God sent his only son to take away our sins. Just because people can fake it, doesn't mean that the actual existence of such a thing is invalidated.
I meant most were proven to be fake, and the others the person covered it up well.
Keaver
Level 50
12-16-2006

Quote:
Gah. I'm going to stick firmly to my beleifs that the biblical assertation of the earth/us being created was right. Since most atheists who try to prove it scientifically say that it was matter/energy, how have they not realized that in order for matter to come out of nothing, all of the scientific laws dealing with conservation of energy would be wrong. Something would have to have come out of existenece out of nothing. In the Bible it not only does it state that there was a cause for the creation, but it tells what the cause was.
Who are you to say that the universe has not always been there.
Captain Obvious
Physicist
Subtract from Captain Obvious's ReputationAdd to Captain Obvious's Reputation Captain Obvious is a novice
Send a message via MSN to Captain Obvious
12-16-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaver View Post
Who are you to say that the universe has not always been there.
Prove me wrong.

"What I cannot create, I do not understand." - Richard Feynman
RasputiN
Level 20
Subtract from RasputiN's ReputationAdd to RasputiN's Reputation RasputiN is a novice
Send a message via AIM to RasputiN
12-16-2006

Quote:
Prove me wrong.
Ooh, not good. This will lead to you being asked to prove that the universe is ageless, that it's been around forever. Then it leads to prove that god exist, prove that he doesn't, all that jazz.

But while you guys are talking about the universe, do you believe it is infinite?
FR to ll RasputiN ll (those are L's) For MLG
Lazyana
Level 25
Subtract from Lazyana's ReputationAdd to Lazyana's Reputation Lazyana is a novice
12-16-2006

These are off-topic but, nice triple post Keaver.

Captain, whenever I see your Avatar I think you're blind or something. Meh, must be me.

Anyway, it seems like everybody just went right passed my post... I'll repost and see what everyone has to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyÞanða™ View Post

I do not believe in God. It's one of the things I really don't think about in my daily life, I get by well though. As The Colostimizer had pointed out, I believe Religion is just a "free shortcut" for a way out of not knowing the answers to things, of course I can't explain weither or not God is real, but I can state my opinion and reasonings towards why I do not.

One thing I've always stood by and I don't think anyone has ever been able to answer, is... why would God send an innocent person, no matter what their life or morals may be centered by, to hell, simply for lose of facts and faith towards weither or not he is real? It's interesting if you think about it..

..God sees somebody who lives their life perfectly free of sin, no curses, no crimes, no racism, and no harm or disrespect to anything on Earth.. but this person finds no real facts or reasons for believing that Jesus died on the cross for him, this man then passes away at 80 years old, and you tell me he is eligible for a free ticket to Hell? Now I know not everybody can live free of sin, it's human nature to sin, but if you sort of think of the whole idea around it, why should he go to Hell and suffer?

Another reason I don't believe in God is simply because there's so many religions out there, who's to be right, and who's to be wrong? They cannot help that they were brought up to believe what they were, so now they're also obligated for a one way ticket to Hell like the man mentioned before? And if they aren't, then what makes somebody who doesn't believe in a supreme being able to go to Hell?

Honestly, if I don't believe in Hell/Heaven, and I'm down to the last core, WITHOUT a doubt not going to believe in God, then won't I die the way I want? I think whatever you believe in, that's up to you, who's God to tell me what to live by? I have nicely set Morals, and I shouldn't have to be told that if I don't believe that Jesus died for me on the cross, that I'll go to Hell. That's bullshit.

What are your thoughts? I sort of went through it really fast, I'm not that great of a debater, but give me a try.