Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate
View Poll Results: Do you believe in God?
Yes. 55 60.44%
No. 36 39.56%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Display Modes Thread Tools
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
Subtract from The Colostomizer's ReputationAdd to The Colostomizer's Reputation The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000
12-14-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I don't believe in coincidences. Since there's dejavu. In my brain if I feel that I've been here/done that before, then it was meant to happen and simply not cognitive processes out of sync.
Actually, if you feel like you've been to a place or done something before but really haven't, it is a result of a temporary lag between different parts of your brain. It's a person with a weak mind who doesn't believe in coincidences.

Quote:
What about a dream? Has anyone ever had a dream that you could remember and what was in your dream actually happended? That's fate to me.
Psychology and coincidence. Ever heard of people (children especially) witnessing some kind of trauma and later coming to believe that they dreamed about it beforehand and felt guilty for not telling anybody about it? It's the brain tricking itself to cope, not fate or precognition.

Just because there are certain things that we do not fully understand doesn't mean there's a supernatural explanation. Look at Greek mythology. Way back in the day, when people didn't understand the natural processes behind things like the weather, they invented a belief system to account for it. They felt the need to explain their surroundings, and since they didn't know the real reason behind lightning, they made it up. It baffles me that you can't see the same thing happening with modern religion. The Bible and the Quran are the results of backwards desert dwellers making up explanations for things that were beyond understanding back then. It's a cruel joke that these belief systems have persisted into today's world.
Keaver
Level 50
Subtract from Keaver's ReputationAdd to Keaver's Reputation Keaver is on the rise to fame Keaver is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to Keaver
12-14-2006

Quote:
I don't believe in coincidences. Since there's dejavu. In my brain if I feel that I've been here/done that before, then it was meant to happen and simply not cognitive processes out of sync. What about a dream? Has anyone ever had a dream that you could remember and what was in your dream actually happended? That's fate to me.
dejavu is where your mind sends what is happening to the wrong section of your brain and sends it to the section where you think it's happened in the past. So that rules out that part of your theory.

(of course me and Colost are genius's and know what dejavu really is)

Last edited by Keaver; 12-14-2006 at 08:22 PM.
Froggy618157725
Level 31
Subtract from Froggy618157725's ReputationAdd to Froggy618157725's Reputation Froggy618157725 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Froggy618157725 Send a message via MSN to Froggy618157725 Send a message via Yahoo to Froggy618157725
12-14-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaver View Post
dejavu is where your mind sends what is happening to the wrong section of your brain and sends it to the section where you think it's happened in the past. So that rules out that part of your theory.

(of course me and Colost are genius's and know what dejavu really is)
That doesn't, however, explain the dream variant. I noticed a distinctive style for dreams of mine that contained bits that happened later. They were generally rather random dreams with a single very clear and detailed thing in them, which later happened or existed, depending on whether it was an event or object. The similarity in style makes it more interesting, because it's more likely to have a definite explanation. I reviewed them in my mind after having them, so I know I haven't fooled myself into thinking I dreamed it afterwards. There's always the coincidence factor, but it seems way too small.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Thanks to Shystie for avatar
II Pryme II
TbO.
Subtract from II Pryme II's ReputationAdd to II Pryme II's Reputation II Pryme II is a novice
Send a message via AIM to II Pryme II
12-14-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colostomizer View Post

Psychology and coincidence. Ever heard of people (children especially) witnessing some kind of trauma and later coming to believe that they dreamed about it beforehand and felt guilty for not telling anybody about it? It's the brain tricking itself to cope, not fate or precognition.

Just because there are certain things that we do not fully understand doesn't mean there's a supernatural explanation. Look at Greek mythology. Way back in the day, when people didn't understand the natural processes behind things like the weather, they invented a belief system to account for it. They felt the need to explain their surroundings, and since they didn't know the real reason behind lightning, they made it up. It baffles me that you can't see the same thing happening with modern religion. The Bible and the Quran are the results of backwards desert dwellers making up explanations for things that were beyond understanding back then. It's a cruel joke that these belief systems have persisted into today's world.

you are my hero for that post. That is everything i was thinking, but i didnt know how to put it into words. Thanks for that post.
TbO.
SyNiKaL
Level 30
Subtract from SyNiKaL's ReputationAdd to SyNiKaL's Reputation SyNiKaL is a novice
Send a message via AIM to SyNiKaL
12-14-2006

I believe in god 100%

-----
Not Legend
Level 24
Subtract from Not Legend's ReputationAdd to Not Legend's Reputation Not Legend is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Not Legend Send a message via MSN to Not Legend Send a message via Skype™ to Not Legend
12-14-2006

I'm muslim and I Believe in god 100%.
GT : II Legend LL

Nothing but FFAs.
Froggy618157725
Level 31
Subtract from Froggy618157725's ReputationAdd to Froggy618157725's Reputation Froggy618157725 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Froggy618157725 Send a message via MSN to Froggy618157725 Send a message via Yahoo to Froggy618157725
12-14-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Legend View Post
Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyNiKaL View Post
I believe in god 100%
Why?

I'm detecting a trend. This is a debate section, so it'd really make sense for you to post your reasons. Only good things can come from it. It allows you to examine yourself to see where your influences came from. It also gives you an opportunity to have others question you, which will either strengthen your belief, or show you the silliness of your ways. Personal improvement all around

Personally, my belief in G_d is a periodic function with an amplitude of about 10 centered at 85 with a weighting to the upper value. I require fresh evidence often.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Thanks to Shystie for avatar
Keaver
Level 50
Subtract from Keaver's ReputationAdd to Keaver's Reputation Keaver is on the rise to fame Keaver is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to Keaver
12-14-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Legend View Post
So you just believe in a higher power because a religion told you that, that is what happened, you can't think for yourself instead you let something else tell you. Are you really muslin or were you brought up Muslim and believe in god to clean your conscious and to have and escape to the fact that when you die nothing happens.

You never explained why you believe in god you just said that you do because your a certain religion that's not a reason thats a cop out.
RasputiN
Level 20
Subtract from RasputiN's ReputationAdd to RasputiN's Reputation RasputiN is a novice
Send a message via AIM to RasputiN
12-14-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaver View Post
So you just believe in a higher power because a religion told you that, that is what happened, you can't think for yourself instead you let something else tell you. Are you really muslin or were you brought up Muslim and believe in god to clean your conscious and to have and escape to the fact that when you die nothing happens.

You never explained why you believe in god you just said that you do because your a certain religion that's not a reason thats a cop out.
I assuming that you then don't believe in god, but instead of saying why you don't, you just commment on why this guy is dumb. I've already stated why I believe in God. And just because you believe in God doesn't mean you can't think for yourself. I'm thinking for myself when I say "I believe in God." It's not cuz of my religion, or that I'm afaid of death or something, it's because of my own personal experiences and my own ideas.
FR to ll RasputiN ll (those are L's) For MLG
KillinzEZ
Level 16
Subtract from KillinzEZ's ReputationAdd to KillinzEZ's Reputation KillinzEZ is a novice
12-14-2006
Red face

People have no faith in anything these days, it's sad. I hope you guys have or at least find something to believe in. Just my personal opinion though guys.
Customs -> Killinz <-Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward - Place tip of gun in mouth. Pull trigger. If you're still alive. Repeat.