Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
Ward sexin H3F
Level 30
Subtract from Ward sexin H3F's ReputationAdd to Ward sexin H3F's Reputation Ward sexin H3F is a novice
02-19-2007

Is it wrong to worship the values that can be instilled in one by a book like the bible, rather than the omnipotent being who will simply grant you access to an everlasting kingdom?

Froggy618157725
Level 31
Subtract from Froggy618157725's ReputationAdd to Froggy618157725's Reputation Froggy618157725 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Froggy618157725 Send a message via MSN to Froggy618157725 Send a message via Yahoo to Froggy618157725
02-19-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
Is it wrong to worship the values that can be instilled in one by a book like the bible, rather than the omnipotent being who will simply grant you access to an everlasting kingdom?
Values are not worshiped. They are followed.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Thanks to Shystie for avatar
Sociable
Underage
Subtract from Sociable's ReputationAdd to Sociable's Reputation Sociable is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Sociable
02-19-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkedAchilles View Post
Well. . .

Religions create gods. Why differs with the religion.

But for Mother Nature, that is just the Environment. But I think we are pretty done on that point as you say you understand the part about definitions based on a lack of evidence.
Yes I see what you mean.
I guess I need to find a good definition for the right kind of "God" I might believe in, otherwise I can just skip the middle man, and say I don't believe in God :P

I don't know much about all this, but just for kicks, we could say that people used religion just to explain things to the undecated folk for whatever reasons, and then created a mighty "Overlord" or as we call it "God" to finish it all off.

Sorry I thought a little to far on the "God" part I suppose, but yes I could say that man created God. (The God that people believe in today anyway)

@Froggy618157725, Thanks, most of what I have posted here is based on my own observations so its probably a little skewed as I have much to learn, and am still pretty young...

@Ward, I don't know if I really understand your whole post correctly, I believe that the lessons that the bible has to teach is good. Theres nothing wrong with parts of the concept of religion. Many parts of it are good, but then some just seem to be added on by someone who was in power and decided to change a sentence or few. I see religion almost as a failed "Final Solution" so to speak for mankind. Because it was corrupted by humans, and the side of our bad nature. Damn I have so much to say, and I should have gone to bed 1 hour and 30 minute ago.
Superjonboy
Level 17
Subtract from Superjonboy's ReputationAdd to Superjonboy's Reputation Superjonboy is a novice
02-19-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colostomizer View Post
You should not be allowed to have children.
Oh come on Colostomizer, you know why I said what i said, if you have any intelligence.
I have my beliefs, but I dont believe in anything just to be silly or out of spite for any other
Religion. His whole point about the IPU thingy is that There is no proof of God.
I am sure you knew that already, but I am just clarifying for you just in case.
Personally I dont care if you have children, regardless of weather or not you believe what I do lol.
Only Intolerant people would truly mean something like that.

GOP= Gods Own Party

Towards a more Savage Nation
Froggy618157725
Level 31
Subtract from Froggy618157725's ReputationAdd to Froggy618157725's Reputation Froggy618157725 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Froggy618157725 Send a message via MSN to Froggy618157725 Send a message via Yahoo to Froggy618157725
02-19-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociable View Post
@Froggy618157725, Thanks, most of what I have posted here is based on my own observations so its probably a little skewed as I have much to learn, and am still pretty young...
Without observations, there can be no learning

http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=110101
That topic was meant for exploring the concept of G_d. It's too bad it didn't get much attention. I think it's still worth a read.

And for the sake of irony, 110101 happened to be octal for 'HA'
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Thanks to Shystie for avatar

Last edited by Froggy618157725; 02-19-2007 at 09:49 PM.
Sociable
Underage
Subtract from Sociable's ReputationAdd to Sociable's Reputation Sociable is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Sociable
02-19-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy618157725 View Post
Without observations, there can be no learning

http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=110101
That topic was meant for exploring the concept of G_d. It's too bad it didn't get much attention. I think it's still worth a read.

And for the sake of irony, 110101 happened to be octal for 'HA'
Lmfao@ the last part of your post. Anyway, thanks for the link. Very interesting. :] I'm done here for tonight. ( I think)