Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
03-22-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop
Faith is an essential part of any person's life. All people live by some measure of faith, whether you believe it or not. Whether it be faith in science or faith in religion, you are still living by some measure of faith.

MarkedAchilles, I know you have had this debate before with Colostomizer, however, let me add my input. From what I gathered, you stated that scientific factual information is not living by faith, but rather statistics and data, am I correct?

The problem with this is the advancements in science and technology you see before you today. What would happen if you chose to believe in a certain scientific certainty, which, in a matter of say 10 years was cast aside without a shadow of a doubt and founded to be absolutely false, with new scientific data replacing it? Your faith in the system has been shattered, so therefore you place your faith in the new data. Am I correct in my assumptions?
Yes you are correct at some point. It is not living according to faith but according to the best information at that time. Science changes all the time. I guaruntee that in 100 years something that we know to be correct now will be laughed at by peole then. Not because we are crazy but that this is the best information we have. Especially in my field there is so much crap that we don't know it boggles my mind right now. Just 2 years ago as an undergrad I thought we had the world figured out genetically but now I am realizing we are barely even scratching the surface.

The difference is that science does not assume it is right for no reason based on nothing. It leaves itself open to be corrected and rearranged (sometimes for no good reason i.e. species designations that piss me off) whenever they feel it is for the betterment of all.

It doesn't take stuff on faith or make up a conclusion without looking at evidence. It takes the best evidence, ideas that are based on the most evidence and works with them to figure out others.

Not working with an awnser based on nothing and looking for evidence that supports it and finding none.

If we worked like that we would be a tax free organization and have a church.

EDIT: I don't want you guys to think that I am totally anti-religous or anti-religion, I am for it in most cases but not for its logistics and the awnsers it says it has. I am for it because to the good it does in areas of the world that still need it to get through the day. Like Africa and 3rd world countries.

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621

Last edited by MarkedAchilles; 03-22-2006 at 11:17 AM.
mat62
Level 25
Subtract from mat62's ReputationAdd to mat62's Reputation mat62 is a novice
03-22-2006

I just discovered this thread, and it has been awesome.

The points made by coly, fershetta, cursed lemon and Achilles in particular have summed up my views on religion to a tee. Very insightful!

I think with pretty much all religions, they have become so ingrained with various groups/societies, that even if their legitimacy is questioned, the argument is just shrugged off by the vast majority.
To truly seek god/Allah/{whoever or whatever you want to call it}, I believe we must question everything and be completely open minded to new discoveries and advancements. Knowledge should be an endless pursuit and should not be shyed away from for fear of contradicting religious teachings.

And as for the faith = energy argument by fershetta, this is a very good analogy. This energy can be felt through relationships you have with friends, family, yourself (that sentence sounds a bit suss ), as well as a higher (spiritual) being that is not necessarily dictated by any religion.

It would be nice to have a society where religions do not command such a stranglehold over society but i doubt that this will ever happen. And if there's no religion there'd still be politics.
I'm back in Aus! (Miss Whistler though)

gt = The dumdum
BiShoP
Killing Kittens for Fun
Subtract from BiShoP's ReputationAdd to BiShoP's Reputation BiShoP is a novice
Send a message via AIM to BiShoP
03-22-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkedAchilles
Yes you are correct at some point. It is not living according to faith but according to the best information at that time. Science changes all the time. I guaruntee that in 100 years something that we know to be correct now will be laughed at by peole then. Not because we are crazy but that this is the best information we have. Especially in my field there is so much crap that we don't know it boggles my mind right now. Just 2 years ago as an undergrad I thought we had the world figured out genetically but now I am realizing we are barely even scratching the surface.

The difference is that science does not assume it is right for no reason based on nothing. It leaves itself open to be corrected and rearranged (sometimes for no good reason i.e. species designations that piss me off) whenever they feel it is for the betterment of all.

It doesn't take stuff on faith or make up a conclusion without looking at evidence. It takes the best evidence, ideas that are based on the most evidence and works with them to figure out others.

Not working with an awnser based on nothing and looking for evidence that supports it and finding none.

If we worked like that we would be a tax free organization and have a church.

EDIT: I don't want you guys to think that I am totally anti-religous or anti-religion, I am for it in most cases but not for its logistics and the awnsers it says it has. I am for it because to the good it does in areas of the world that still need it to get through the day. Like Africa and 3rd world countries.

Now, that is a completely different subject to talk about!! Yes!!
Global Christianity. Is it necessarily a right choice to extend Christianity and democracy into nations where the governing authorities have outlawed both?
H 2 F R e G s
MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
03-22-2006

Quote:
Now, that is a completely different subject to talk about!! Yes!!
Global Christianity. Is it necessarily a right choice to extend Christianity and democracy into nations where the governing authorities have outlawed both?
Of course I think a governmental program could do just as well but less "advanced" societies put more emphasis on religous ideals and a religious organization may have more success in such an area. Of course they could infuriate them as well.

Like the peace corp. I think they need to get more money. Eliminate a few religious organizations and put all that time, money and people into the peace corp. The world would be a better place.

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621
Rebal771
1 of the original 10,656
Subtract from Rebal771's ReputationAdd to Rebal771's Reputation Rebal771 is a n00b
03-22-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkedAchilles
This isn't the case in every scenario, the absense of proof does not deny the existence of something. But considering the time, money, amount of people working on the "god project" I would consider we should have at least one piece of evidence for it. Otherwise most people would scrap a project such as that.
Wow...I can't believe I agree with such an athiestic statement. And while I don't agree with how you word it...I DEFINATELY agree with the overall point.

I think there is waaaaaaay too much money put into churches and making them "comfortable". Church, according to the bible, is not about comfort...it's about gathering with other believers to worship. The tithe that goes to the church is supposed to go back into the community with God's blessing...

Churches now-a-days would rather spend that tythe money on getting new buildings, nicer chairs, newer hymnals...etc. All of that is Bullshit...and if Jesus were to walk the streets today...I think he'd be very pissed off at a lot of us for ignoring our bretheren.

This is only partially on topic...so I don't want to get into a big shpiel about this part...but it's my 2 cents.

THANKS SOLID................................& STORMS!!!

Not mentioned in sig: <3 Lammie
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
Subtract from The Colostomizer's ReputationAdd to The Colostomizer's Reputation The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000
03-26-2006

Quote:
Faith is an essential part of any person's life. All people live by some measure of faith, whether you believe it or not. Whether it be faith in science or faith in religion, you are still living by some measure of faith.
I would agree with you, and I never said that people should completely reject faith. The problem is when faith is used to back up a belief by itself. It's not enough.
Jambi
Level 29
Subtract from Jambi's ReputationAdd to Jambi's Reputation Jambi is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Jambi Send a message via MSN to Jambi
03-26-2006

Although i'm not necessarily saying that this is true for any of the christian people posting here, I believe that it is so easy for people to blindly believe in God simply because it gives them comfort. Knowing that you will be more than a dead body and a memory when you die obviously seems more appealing. Faith is only a mask to hide the fact that these people are afraid to face the truth.

DR FIZZI
Fizzin
Subtract from DR FIZZI's ReputationAdd to DR FIZZI's Reputation DR FIZZI is a novice
Send a message via AIM to DR FIZZI
01-20-2007

wow i never thought about religion this way i dont believe in a chiritian god or a muslim god just a god