Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum

Display Modes Thread Tools
sl1ck
Banned
Subtract from sl1ck's ReputationAdd to sl1ck's Reputation sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000
10-11-2010

Really shoddy "journalism." Not really incitement or informative as much as it is a hit piece. This reviewer gets it right:
Quote:
The modern American political documentary, which can serve as a delicious magnifying glass on human behavior and attitudes, has two basic approaches. The first has value. In the hands of a documentarian committed to bringing a fresh understanding of the lives of a feverish group on the political right or left, to probing the reasons behind their activism or seething frustrations, the magnifying glass can reveal things we've never before understood. It can provide not only a window on a cultural divide but also clues to what might help bridge that divide.

Then there is the other approach. It reminds me of hot summer days in my childhood when this neighborhood kid would ask if I wanted to come and study ants and other insects under his magnifying glass, promising me and other buddies that we'd learn something. We would amble outside to the scorching sidewalk, where he would train his magnifying glass on the insects and begin happily frying them. And, dumb as it was, the rest of us would stare, transfixed. Dumb always has a market -- so long as something or somebody fries.

Within the first few minutes of Alexandra Pelosi's "Right America: Feeling Wronged -- Some Voices From the Campaign Trail," an HBO documentary debuting tonight that purports to provide "a forum" for conservative supporters of John McCain and Sarah Palin "who saw their hopes and dreams evaporate in the wake of the Democratic victory" -- well, we know what kind of magnifying glass we're getting.
ad_icon

It's drive-by journalism, to put it charitably, a string of stupefyingly brief hit-and-run interviews with a bunch of unidentified people who we know are going to say nothing that will surprise us. By then, we've already figured out they're going to be fried by Pelosi's camera. We know they're going to sound like yahoos, often goaded, always reduced to sound bites and caricatures.
CitizenZenSin
Level 28
Subtract from CitizenZenSin's ReputationAdd to CitizenZenSin's Reputation CitizenZenSin is a novice
10-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblocker View Post
The radical right interests the f.ck out of me..
Long read but interesting.

http://mediamatters.org/research/201010110002

I got featured on Insider Moves on Inside Xbox this week
Smuttny
The People's Champion
Subtract from Smuttny's ReputationAdd to Smuttny's Reputation Smuttny IS OVER 9000 Smuttny IS OVER 9000 Smuttny IS OVER 9000 Smuttny IS OVER 9000 Smuttny IS OVER 9000 Smuttny IS OVER 9000 Smuttny IS OVER 9000 Smuttny IS OVER 9000 Smuttny IS OVER 9000 Smuttny IS OVER 9000 Smuttny IS OVER 9000
10-19-2010

I watched 30 minutes of it.

It's like mud for the eyes. These people are doomed.
slater ohm
MovieCompMovieCompMovieCo
Subtract from slater ohm's ReputationAdd to slater ohm's Reputation slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to slater ohm
10-19-2010

I'm getting tired of this sh.t.

I saw this dude

and I was all like: finally someone talking sense!
and then he starts talking stupid 9/11 shit again.

it's getting lame.
a good size group on this forum isnt retarded, why does 50% (lets be nice) of the americans on tv have to be? I'm not talking demo - rep or christian - atheist. just not coming up with retarded shit, or even when you do.. understanding that to others it sounds like retarded shit.

THF

Halo 2 videos
Ohmage | Ohmega | Blue sky | Dual | Post Fin | Fash Late
xCiV
Level 30
Subtract from xCiV's ReputationAdd to xCiV's Reputation xCiV is a novice
10-20-2010

"hey can you guys not make political party's when i leave, shit will be fucked." George Washington

we followed everything else that washington did or said to do; but not this because we're all opinionated, hateful, ungrateful, selfish dickwads.

America, yay!

TGOD
HMU for Fifa 11
Smuttny
The People's Champion
Subtract from Smuttny's ReputationAdd to Smuttny's Reputation Smuttny IS OVER 9000 Smuttny IS OVER 9000 Smuttny IS OVER 9000 Smuttny IS OVER 9000 Smuttny IS OVER 9000 Smuttny IS OVER 9000 Smuttny IS OVER 9000 Smuttny IS OVER 9000 Smuttny IS OVER 9000 Smuttny IS OVER 9000 Smuttny IS OVER 9000
10-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by slater ohm View Post
I'm getting tired of this sh.t.

I saw this dude

and I was all like: finally someone talking sense!
and then he starts talking stupid 9/11 sh.t again.

it's getting lame.
a good size group on this forum isnt retarded, why does 50% (lets be nice) of the americans on tv have to be? I'm not talking demo - rep or christian - atheist. just not coming up with retarded sh.t, or even when you do.. understanding that to others it sounds like retarded sh.t.
It's getting lame?

He's right.
slater ohm
MovieCompMovieCompMovieCo
Subtract from slater ohm's ReputationAdd to slater ohm's Reputation slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to slater ohm
10-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smuttny View Post
It's getting lame?

He's right.
lame part was mostly pointed at the vid in OP.

on the example, yes he's right, I know, but the 9/11 sh.t is getting dead on viewers, they've made up their minds.
saying something about the 9/11 events is just gonna weaken your argument because everyone has such strong feelings about it. the question didnt ask for an opinion on the events as such, it was exactly the trap they laid out for him. throw in the 9/11 bomb and there's your viewers climbing back into their shell. he could have easily kept his strong arguments going.

Even when you're a hard liner and know your sh.t, you've got to play it smart once you've made the point you came on for and there's a d.ck in front of you wanting you to look an ass.

like I said, I agree with almost everything he said.
we just get such different political tv here, it's odd to see how they tackle themselves.

THF

Halo 2 videos
Ohmage | Ohmega | Blue sky | Dual | Post Fin | Fash Late

Last edited by slater ohm; 10-21-2010 at 01:51 AM.
Red Bull Sniper
Level 28
Subtract from Red Bull Sniper's ReputationAdd to Red Bull Sniper's Reputation Red Bull Sniper is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Red Bull Sniper
10-21-2010

The republican party is the very definition of hypocrisy.

briansoupy
Level 31
Subtract from briansoupy's ReputationAdd to briansoupy's Reputation briansoupy is a novice
Send a message via AIM to briansoupy Send a message via Skype™ to briansoupy
10-21-2010

Why u mad tho?
Seriously though I'm sure you'd agree that Muslims should not be demneaned because of the idiotic extremist few that carry out suicide bombings. And yet here you guys happily demean conservatives based on an idiotic extremist few. You think that the editors of this film would include footage from intelligible, eloquent people? If you get really worked up or if you scoff at this then you are, to an extent, being led like sheep by the filmmakers into this conclusion that republicans and conservatives are unintelligent, misinformed, and xenophobic.

"By the way that's Nancy Pelosi's daughter"
"You can't say that"
"I can't say that?"
"You're gonna get me lynched!"
This passes as journalism? This is impartial? Christ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xCiV View Post
"hey can you guys not make political party's when i leave, sh.t will be f..ked." George Washington

we followed everything else that washington did or said to do; but not this because we're all opinionated, hateful, ungrateful, selfish d.ckwads.

America, yay!
Yeah he also said not to get involved in foreign affairs, but that stopped around the start of the 20th century.
Oh! Sweet Nuthin'
Quote:
to say god, is to sing god
to sing to god, is to draw near to god
to the nearness that is god

Last edited by briansoupy; 10-21-2010 at 03:04 PM.
freak
#1 butt eater™
Subtract from freak's ReputationAdd to freak's Reputation freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000
10-22-2010

maybe that's because republicans and conservatives are unintelligent, misinformed, and xenophobic. kinda just a fact. the republicans who aren't as extreme as the others are shunned by the majority.