Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum

Display Modes Thread Tools
muRda
Godzilla vs. MLK
Subtract from muRda's ReputationAdd to muRda's Reputation muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000
07-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzeus View Post
Nah, Ron Paul......2012...You know...if you support this congressman you are literally a Domestic Terrorist...because of that, gives me a good reason to support Ron Paul...

Besides...Palin is resigning from being governor....so...why would she run for presidency????..Being that she wants more time with the fam...
You'd probably vote for him seeing as how you're Exhibit B in the case against abortion.
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
07-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sl1cK_ View Post
I think your appraisal of Obama is fairly accurate, except your statement about how he is doing a reasonable job. He has broken nearly every promise regarding transparency. He has been a fiscal disaster. What has he handled well?
Foreign relations have been reasonable. Not great, but reasonable.

Quote:
We have been debating health care for quite some time in the last few weeks, check some of the posts there. I agree with your comments concerning the stifling of competition/monopolization of the health care industry. One of the points I raised in the health care thread was that the health care industry has been monopolized as well as how the health care industry got to be monopolized. Our health care industry right now is a byproduct of a number of collectivist programs, policies and a lot of government intrusion. Lobbyists and special interests are embedded in the health care industry because of the corporatist system the government has created.
The problems that plague the health care industry are not new to me. Trust me on that one. I have no critique of this quote, because it's totally accurate.
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
sl1ck
Banned
Subtract from sl1ck's ReputationAdd to sl1ck's Reputation sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000
07-05-2009

What profession are you going into? I've seen you mention going into the health care field, but what specifically are you planning on doing?
josh1337
Level 39
Subtract from josh1337's ReputationAdd to josh1337's Reputation josh1337 is on the rise to fame josh1337 is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to josh1337 Send a message via Skype™ to josh1337
07-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchButtHair View Post
Foreign relations have been reasonable. Not great, but reasonable.
Except when he gave Gordon Brown a region 1 dvd! Now we'll never get invited to secret santa parties.

sl1ck
Banned
Subtract from sl1ck's ReputationAdd to sl1ck's Reputation sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000 sl1ck IS OVER 9000
07-05-2009

I would have given Gordon Brown a wheelbarrow full of Monopoly money.
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
07-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sl1cK_ View Post
What profession are you going into? I've seen you mention going into the health care field, but what specifically are you planning on doing?
I'm entering my fourth year of medical school. I suppose I still have a YEAR of school...which is no small amount of time...but it seems so close to being over.
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
sl1ck
Banned
07-05-2009

Very cool. I wish you the best. It's going to be interesting to see what changes take place in health care in the coming years.
ReVeLaTioN
Level 25
Subtract from ReVeLaTioN's ReputationAdd to ReVeLaTioN's Reputation ReVeLaTioN is a novice
07-16-2009

Alright, let me attempt to respond to some posts.

Some of you have called the Obama Administration's policies a "fiscal disaster". The original poster said that the bailout of the financial system was obviously a horrible thing.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out why helping out the banks (and when I say banks, I mean the top four or five biggest financial institutions, which constitute over 60 percent of America's capital) was essential. Put simply, they took on too much risk and watched an ever expanding housing bubble burst before their eyes in September of 2008. Ask any economist you want: the financial system is the backbone of the economy. When it was shattered, businesses and consumers couldn't get loans which resulted in more and more unemployment which has contributed to less and less consumer confidence and, therefore, less consumer spending. This situation, unless you want it to continue indefinitely until the economy is producing well below its capacity, had to be stopped by EXTERNAL measures, meaning the government. The biggest qualm most people have with this is the HUGE deficits we are racking up as a result.

But if nothing would have been done, our deficits would have eventually been even greater. You see, by us racking up huge deficits now - whether that's the bailouts or the stimulus plan - we will have smaller deficits in the future. The better the economy, the more revenue the government gets which contributes to a shrinking deficit. Without the bailout our financial institutions would have taken years upon years to repair (beyond what they'll still have to do) which would have made our government's bank account screwed for the long run. Obviously we don't know if the bailouts or the stimulus will be successful - but we don't know yet. Don't let the short-term deficits blind you to the reality of harsh long-term deficits.

And as for the stimulus plan, most arguments on here are bunk. It is a TWO YEAR plan. No, "short term" stimulus doesn't mean four or five months. It means a couple years. It is so elementary and annoying when you hear people clamor about "oh the stimulus isn't working". GIVE IT A CHANCE. All of the money will be spent in two years. Had the stimulus been even bigger (which it should have been, especially when looking at the new numbers), the numbers would still have looked the same AT THIS POINT. Nearly everyone on here is falling into the trap of wanting political quick fixes. In reality, there is no such thing...everything takes time.

To deem the bailout of the banks and the stimulus a failure is nonsense. In a year or twos time, making that statement may not be nonsense. My suspicion is it will take 5-10 years to know whether the right policies were made, by looking at the economic indicators and projected future deficits.

If I had had it my way, there would have been a much bigger stimulus, a nationalizing of certain banks and institutions, and MAJOR (not just the bullsh.t that there putting in place now) financial regulatory reforms.

Oh, and a quick note about Ron Paul. I like the guy's stance on social issues: although he is anti-abortion, he says that you can't legislate morality. He wants to legalize drugs. He's a classic libertarian, obviously I can see why so many people on here like him.

But as one person on here said, his economic policies suck. He is for the "fair" tax, which isn't really fair whatsoever and would make millions of people hungrier and poorer.

On foreign policy, though some of his policies may seem attractive, full-fledged non-intervention is not the best policy. Although we should NEVER preemptively invade other countries, and we should hardly EVER go to war, having embassies in other countries and policies that effect other countries is really important for the health of the world.

And by the way, i'm actually more happy about the Obama Administration's foreign policy than their other policies. We are actually starting to engage, and we are FINALLY (yes, FINALLY!) being more respected throughout the world. I think that is really important.
A man's errors are his portals of discovery. -- James Joyce
Enervate You
H2F Regular
Subtract from Enervate You's ReputationAdd to Enervate You's Reputation Enervate You is a novice
07-18-2009

The Bush administration was responsible for the bank "bail-out" (TARP). Not the Obama administration. Just found it humorous that one of the few things he's been praised for economy-wise was actually done by the previous administration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVideo View Post
if it was Steve Jobs then you would probably have to pay HIM a buck to watch the ad.
It would also only be available in encrypted QT format, playable only on any Mac or iPhone.
I respect:
NiceGuy
MarkedAchilles

Froggy618157725
Rebal771
Darth Hulk
Midpoint
Cursed Lemon
sl1ck
Banned
07-19-2009

Thanks for bumping this Enervate You. I forgot about ReVeLaTioN's post. I will respond to it tonight sometime hopefully.