Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
09-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
Europeans and lots of people on the east side of the Pacific are more likely to know multiple languages because there are countries that speak different languages along their borders. Most Texans know Spanish. In fact, it's a mandatory class in school - then later an elective in high school.

That most Americans aren't bilingual is irrelevant, since most Americans will never leave the country and thus not have to know any other language than English. In most states, if you can speak a second language, people consider it a neat characteristic but not much else. "I speak French." "Cool." It's kind of like an otherwise useless hobby that you have to go out of your way to apply.

edit: Except for Spanish in Texas and other states flooded with hispanics.
And Florida! I use spanish here daily

Sooooo many central and south americans here. I need to pick up portuguese as well.

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621
dano
come to the dark side
Subtract from dano's ReputationAdd to dano's Reputation dano finally popped his Bubble Shield dano finally popped his Bubble Shield dano finally popped his Bubble Shield dano finally popped his Bubble Shield
09-04-2009

wow, did i just miss all of that action?
...isn't that somethin'

i think you all are forgetting about the deaf population scattered about in every country. speaking for those in the US, there is a drastically low number of people (hearing people) who actually know American Sign Language and take the time to talk with those of the Deaf Community.

...i'm just sayin'
MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
09-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoSNakE==[:]~ View Post
wow, did i just miss all of that action?
...isn't that somethin'

i think you all are forgetting about the deaf population scattered about in every country. speaking for those in the US, there is a drastically low number of people (hearing people) who actually know American Sign Language and take the time to talk with those of the Deaf Community.

...i'm just sayin'
That is my 3rd language.

I used to volunteer for a chaperoning and tutoring a deaf child in my school growing up and my first girlfriend was deaf.

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

dano
come to the dark side
Subtract from dano's ReputationAdd to dano's Reputation dano finally popped his Bubble Shield dano finally popped his Bubble Shield dano finally popped his Bubble Shield dano finally popped his Bubble Shield
09-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkedAchilles View Post
That is my 3rd language.

I used to volunteer for a chaperoning and tutoring a deaf child in my school growing up and my first girlfriend was deaf.
dude, me too!! my brother is deaf, so i've known it most of my life. it's nice to see that another has an interest in the Deaf Community.
MarkedAchilles
09-04-2009

Quote:
dude, me too!! my brother is deaf, so i've known it most of my life. it's nice to see that another has an interest in the Deaf Community.
Only if they are hot.

She was hot.

dano
come to the dark side
09-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkedAchilles View Post
Only if they are hot.

She was hot.
Lol, good call. how long did that relationship last?
Prowl
Amazingly Randy
Subtract from Prowl's ReputationAdd to Prowl's Reputation Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary
09-04-2009

Quote:
speaking for those in the US, there is a drastically low number of people (hearing people) who actually know American Sign Language and take the time to talk with those of the Deaf Community.
'
There is a drastically low number of deaf people. Out of my 19 years of living I've only talked to one deaf person and she could read lips so it was ok. No point of learning sign language unless you deal with the deaf frequently.
dano
come to the dark side
09-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
There is a drastically low number of deaf people.
ummm...no there is not. there is roughly 30 million people in america, alone, that are deaf. that is about 1/10 people you see that are deaf.

Quote:
No point of learning sign language unless you deal with the deaf frequently.
that attitude is just wrong.
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
09-04-2009

Quote:
that attitude is just wrong.
No it isn't.
Spoiler!
Prowl
Amazingly Randy
Subtract from Prowl's ReputationAdd to Prowl's Reputation Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary
09-04-2009

Quote:
ummm...no there is not. there is roughly 30 million people in america, alone, that are deaf. that is about 1/10 people you see that are deaf.
Where in the hell did you get those figures?? Less than 2% of the population is clinically deaf. Maybe 1/10 people have hearing difficulties, but not deaf.