Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
MsTkEyes
Pu$$yrich
Subtract from MsTkEyes's ReputationAdd to MsTkEyes's Reputation MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000
05-15-2009

Wasn't Jesus actually drinking like goat blood or something? I thought I read that somewhere.
~up, up, up, up, up, up, up~

zyphex
Level 25
Subtract from zyphex's ReputationAdd to zyphex's Reputation zyphex IS OVER 9000 zyphex IS OVER 9000 zyphex IS OVER 9000 zyphex IS OVER 9000 zyphex IS OVER 9000 zyphex IS OVER 9000 zyphex IS OVER 9000 zyphex IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to zyphex
05-17-2009

I don't believe drinking is a sin. Seriously, look at Jesus' first miracle. At a wedding, everybody drank up the wine and it ran out. Then his mom told him to hook them up and he made some delicious wine out of water. Was he promoting sin? I think not.

I think drinking being thought of as being sinful is more about self-abuse. Obviously there are those who drink alcohol excessively and destroy their lives through it. The reasoning would be that destroying your body and life is destroying one of God's works.
GT: Zyphex
mike
OG status
Subtract from mike's ReputationAdd to mike's Reputation mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to mike
05-17-2009

stop trying to pretend that christianity makes any sense to begin with
over 2.5k views on youtube! Voted "best!"
32 Youtube Subscribers <3

Support THF and like our stuff ! Do it for mike, it's all he has

RIP Elmo, gone but never forgotten <3
Muffin Mouth
<3
Subtract from Muffin Mouth's ReputationAdd to Muffin Mouth's Reputation Muffin Mouth is on the rise to fame Muffin Mouth is on the rise to fame
05-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Mike View Post
stop trying to pretend that christianity makes any sense to begin with
Wow, I actually agree with something you said.

How can drinking be a sin if Jesus turned water into fucking whine?

Faith. Yup...

SizZLe
No More Locked Doors
Subtract from SizZLe's ReputationAdd to SizZLe's Reputation SizZLe IS OVER 9000 SizZLe IS OVER 9000 SizZLe IS OVER 9000 SizZLe IS OVER 9000 SizZLe IS OVER 9000 SizZLe IS OVER 9000 SizZLe IS OVER 9000 SizZLe IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to SizZLe Send a message via MSN to SizZLe
05-18-2009

There's still the marriage issue.

I need Delay in here.
Muffin Mouth
<3
Subtract from Muffin Mouth's ReputationAdd to Muffin Mouth's Reputation Muffin Mouth is on the rise to fame Muffin Mouth is on the rise to fame
05-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizZLe View Post
There's still the marriage issue.

I need Delay in here.
Times are changing, dude.

It the old days, if you didn't go to church, you were hanged. Hung. idk.

Today, if you don't go to church... Nothing happens. No, you get to sleep in. lol

Just think about that then marriage. I guess they are similar in a sense.

SizZLe
No More Locked Doors
Subtract from SizZLe's ReputationAdd to SizZLe's Reputation SizZLe IS OVER 9000 SizZLe IS OVER 9000 SizZLe IS OVER 9000 SizZLe IS OVER 9000 SizZLe IS OVER 9000 SizZLe IS OVER 9000 SizZLe IS OVER 9000 SizZLe IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to SizZLe Send a message via MSN to SizZLe
05-18-2009

=/
Delay
Level 44
Subtract from Delay's ReputationAdd to Delay's Reputation Delay is legendary Delay is legendary Delay is legendary
05-26-2009

Quote:
Why is drinking alcohol, no matter the amount, a sin? Why not a recommended avoidance?
Sorry for the fashionably late arrival Sizzle, I seldom visit this section of the forum anymore, it just seemed to die recently lol.

Anyways, to address your questions, let me start with the drinking alcohol first. You have to understand that drinking alcohol is not a sin, now that is not to say that becoming drunk is not a sin, it most certainly is. But a mere glass of wine with dinner or at a wedding or party, or grabbing a beer with a friend or out on a Friday night, nothing wrong with that at all.

Here is a good summarization for you, and a boat load of biblical references for you to delve into, to help you hopefully deepen your understanding of the topic. I know it is a long ass boring read, but please do read it in it's entirety, I can almost guarantee you will find it quite helpful for you.

Scripture has much to say regarding the drinking of alcohol (Leviticus 10:9; Numbers 6:3; Deuteronomy 29:6; Judges 13:4, 7, 14; Proverbs 20:1; 31:4; Isaiah 5:11, 22; 24:9; 28:7; 29:9; 56:12). However, Scripture does not necessarily forbid a Christian from drinking beer, wine, or any other drink containing alcohol. In fact, some Scriptures discuss alcohol in positive terms. Ecclesiastes 9:7 instructs, “Drink your wine with a merry heart.” Psalm 104:14-15 states that God gives wine “that makes glad the heart of men.” Amos 9:14 discusses drinking wine from your own vineyard as a sign of God’s blessing. Isaiah 55:11 encourages, “Yes, come buy wine and milk…”

What God commands Christians regarding alcohol is to avoid drunkenness (Ephesians 5:18). The Bible condemns drunkenness and its effects (Proverbs 23:29-35). Christians are also commanded to not allow their bodies to be “mastered” by anything (1 Corinthians 6:12; 2 Peter 2:19). Drinking alcohol in excess is undeniably addictive. Scripture also forbids a Christian from doing anything that might offend other Christians or encourage them to sin against their conscience (1 Corinthians 8:9-13). In light of these principles, it would be extremely difficult for any Christian to say he is drinking alcohol in excess to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31).

As for the whole Jesus changing water into wine incident everyone is discussing. It does seem that Jesus drank wine on occasion (John 2:1-11; Matthew 26:29). In New Testament times, the water was not very clean. Without modern sanitation, the water was often filled with bacteria, viruses, and all kinds of contaminants. The same is true in many third-world countries today. As a result, people often drank wine (or grape juice) because it was far less likely to be contaminated. In 1 Timothy 5:23, Paul was instructing Timothy to stop drinking the water (which was probably causing his stomach problems) and instead drink wine. In that day, wine was fermented (containing alcohol), but not necessarily to the degree it is today. It is incorrect to say that it was grape juice, but it is also incorrect to say that it was the same thing as the wine commonly used today. Again, Scripture does not forbid Christians from drinking beer, wine, or any other drink containing alcohol. Alcohol is not, in and of itself, tainted by sin. It is drunkenness and addiction to alcohol that a Christian must absolutely refrain from (Ephesians 5:18; 1 Corinthians 6:12).

So basically in a nut shell, I would say that drinking alcohol is not a sin, it is drinking excess alcohol that undoubtedly becomes a sin. Temperance and moderation and self-control are characteristics the bible harps on, and definitely characteristics Christians should strive towards. Nothing wrong with alcohol as long as you don't abuse it. The reason many Christians say 'never drink alcohol' and 'all alcohol is a sin' is probably either because they themselves cannot control their drinking consumption, or because they know that too much of it can inevitably lead to sin.

Hope this all helps, post back when you get un-banned sucka.

PS - I would answer your question reguarding the whole marriage issue, but I think this is good enough for now lol. It took me like 20 minutes to write all this lol.
Alcom
constant
Subtract from Alcom's ReputationAdd to Alcom's Reputation Alcom taps Cortana Alcom taps Cortana Alcom taps Cortana Alcom taps Cortana Alcom taps Cortana
Send a message via AIM to Alcom
05-26-2009

Pseudo god has spoken

Play H2V
Delay
Level 44
Subtract from Delay's ReputationAdd to Delay's Reputation Delay is legendary Delay is legendary Delay is legendary
05-26-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcom View Post
Pseudo god has spoken
Quote:
I need Delay in here.
Suck it :P.

Just answering a question as best I can to help a fellow brother out, didn't mean to be arrogant or prideful in any way. Sorry if you felt that.