Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > General Gaming

Display Modes Thread Tools
Spence
THF VIP Member
Subtract from Spence's ReputationAdd to Spence's Reputation Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Spence
06-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siarnaq View Post
1. No Man's Sky and Star Citizen, and that's just the current titles that vastly outscales it.

2. Look at any MMORPG or Borderlands itself even.
Also, please point out where they excplicitely said there will be multiple games because I have yet to find anything about that.

that was literally their plan from the beginning

"Activision has Call of Duty and Skylanders, while Blizzard has World of Warcraft, Diablo, and StarCraft (its too early to call Hearthstone, its new digital card game, a blockbuster). But Destiny represents a chance to create a new blockbuster franchise, as Bungie has committed to make Destiny games over 10 years. And over that decade, Kotick said that Activision would spend an estimated $500 million on marketing, development, and other costs. Meanwhile, Sony has made a big commitment to Destiny by signing a long-term partnership deal with Bungie and Activision to get some exclusive content for the multiplayer-centric first-person shooter. Its not just Kotick who has a stake in this."

Source
http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/10/at...me-looks-like/

"Within the hollowed-out remains of a former bowling alley and movie theater, the creators of the Halo franchise huddle en masse at their headquarters in Bellevue, Washington, working on a new project. Inked to a decade-long agreement with publishing giant Activision and dodging rumors and leaked documents for nearly two years Bungie has finally revealed Destiny."

source:
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/17/de...-10-year-plan/

"talk to Bungie about what, exactly, a 10-year long gaming experience entails, both from a player-perspective and that of development."

Source:
http://www.destinythegame.com/au/en/news
Havey
Californication
Subtract from Havey's ReputationAdd to Havey's Reputation Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Havey
06-14-2014

I did laugh at the Scandinavian comment lol.

I think we are all pretty well openly debating this without anything getting heated here. I just think that we shouldn't judge a game none of us (besides 2 of them) are playing.
Spence
THF VIP Member
Subtract from Spence's ReputationAdd to Spence's Reputation Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000
06-14-2014

blitzy, shut the fuck up, you arent adding anything to this discussion.
Spence
THF VIP Member
06-14-2014

Siaranaq, you're whole gripe with the game seems to be based off of it not looking competitive enough for an FPS, if I understand correctly. But not all FPS's need to be ultra competitive. That word is extremely general so competitive to some isn't the same as competitive to others. From the gameplay and the vidoc's and the commentary that I've watched, Bungie hasn't really been focusing on making this the next big thing in eSports. They are trying to make a game that is the most fun playing with your friends. Yes, that will hurt you're version of "competitive play", but that is ok. Not every FPS has to be competing for the mainstage spot, and if you're looking at this game to try to do that then you're obviously not going to enjoy it because it wasn't made for that kind of atmosphere from what I've gathered.
Siarnaq
The Endless Obsession.
Subtract from Siarnaq's ReputationAdd to Siarnaq's Reputation Siarnaq is legendary Siarnaq is legendary Siarnaq is legendary
06-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerrrr View Post
that was literally their plan from the beginning

"Activision has Call of Duty and Skylanders, while Blizzard has World of Warcraft, Diablo, and StarCraft (it’s too early to call Hearthstone, its new digital card game, a blockbuster). But Destiny represents a chance to create a new blockbuster franchise, as Bungie has committed to make Destiny games over 10 years. And over that decade, Kotick said that Activision would spend an estimated $500 million on marketing, development, and other costs. Meanwhile, Sony has made a big commitment to Destiny by signing a long-term partnership deal with Bungie and Activision to get some exclusive content for the multiplayer-centric first-person shooter. It’s not just Kotick who has a stake in this."

Source
http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/10/at...me-looks-like/

"Within the hollowed-out remains of a former bowling alley and movie theater, the creators of the Halo franchise huddle en masse at their headquarters in Bellevue, Washington, working on a new project. Inked to a decade-long agreement with publishing giant Activision – and dodging rumors and leaked documents for nearly two years – Bungie has finally revealed Destiny."

source:
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/17/de...-10-year-plan/

"talk to Bungie about what, exactly, a 10-year long gaming experience entails, both from a player-perspective and that of development."

Source:
http://www.destinythegame.com/au/en/news
Thanks for providing links with what you've posted.
I haven't seen any confirmed information from Bungie itself that details a game franchise. If anything I would guess that it's going to be Destiny and then continuing "Expansions" since that would mean that people wouldn't have to expect new and fundamentally different core mechanics and content with each game.
But after all, it's hard to see a console game on a 10 year old long plan since consoles as of lately have been hitting a rough spot. Not to mention that they have to have a large enough content and good enough endgame to warrant 10 years worth of commitment, which is worrying purely from the fact that if it doesn't work out, Activision will have about $500m different reasons to use and abuse Bungie and shell out IP's to their hearts content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havey
I think we are all pretty well openly debating this without anything getting heated here. I just think that we shouldn't judge a game none of us (besides 2 of them) are playing.
I'm merely relaying my point of view of the game thus far, and wanting some discussion regarding if this truly is what the playerbase wants, and if it could live up to what it promises. Not to mention the hype for it thus far.

Personally I will most likely pick it up since I'm purchasing a console for MCC alone, and I might aswell pick it up and see what the end result will be, but I think I'll reserve myself from judging it too harshly thus far, though what I'm seeing as of lately doesn't exactly excite me.

EDIT; What's the gamesize thus far for Destiny?
QuiGz
Kaze Ni Nare
Subtract from QuiGz's ReputationAdd to QuiGz's Reputation QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to QuiGz Send a message via Skype™ to QuiGz
06-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havey View Post
I did laugh at the Scandinavian comment lol.

If I'm coming off as heated or a douche bag, I apologize for that. I'm trying to have a discussion but when you keep bringing up the same points then I really don't see how I can get my point across without being a bit pushy.

I'm just trying to say, give the game a shot. It's in its early stages and has a ton of potential as an online and competitive game. If you don't like it, there's nothing wrong with that. But you can't really talk down a game in the way you are without playing it.

EDIT: I didn't even know they planned to do that much with Destiny, hopefully it doesn't violently go down hill after the first 2.
Siarnaq
The Endless Obsession.
Subtract from Siarnaq's ReputationAdd to Siarnaq's Reputation Siarnaq is legendary Siarnaq is legendary Siarnaq is legendary
06-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerrrr
Siaranaq, you're whole gripe with the game seems to be based off of it not looking competitive enough for an FPS, if I understand correctly. But not all FPS's need to be ultra competitive. That word is extremely general so competitive to some isn't the same as competitive to others. From the gameplay and the vidoc's and the commentary that I've watched, Bungie hasn't really been focusing on making this the next big thing in eSports. They are trying to make a game that is the most fun playing with your friends. Yes, that will hurt you're version of "competitive play", but that is ok. Not every FPS has to be competing for the mainstage spot, and if you're looking at this game to try to do that then you're obviously not going to enjoy it because it wasn't made for that kind of atmosphere from what I've gathered.
No, my "gripe" if you would call it that, thus far is that it's looking too similar to IP's we've had for years thus far and that it doesn't feel worthy of being titled as new and groundbreaking. And I never said that FPS needs to be competitive, what I did say is that an FPS needs to be competitive according to ME. Purely what I personally think.

Also, from what I've heard thus far is that they are aiming to have it as a competitive game. I'm sure they want back the MLG days and I am positive that they will be aiming to make it into an MLG game.
Siarnaq
The Endless Obsession.
06-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGz View Post
If I'm coming off as heated or a douche bag, I apologize for that. I'm trying to have a discussion but when you keep bringing up the same points then I really don't see how I can get my point across without being a bit pushy.

I'm just trying to say, give the game a shot. It's in its early stages and has a ton of potential as an online and competitive game. If you don't like it, there's nothing wrong with that. But you can't really talk down a game in the way you are without playing it.

EDIT: I didn't even know they planned to do that much with Destiny, hopefully it doesn't violently go down hill after the first 2.
.. But a discussiong isn't about convincing the other party that their opinion is wrong and that they should accept their new lord and saviour.
Just kidding, I'm not claiming that you said anything of the kind, but a discussion I'm trying to conduct is to see what the appeal of others is to the game, seeing if people believe this will live up to what it's been promising and the lifespan of the game. Of course, I am bringing up my personal view and opinion because a discussion kind of needs two sides and from what I've seen thus far, I seem to be one of very few in this thread that isn't as excited and more concerned about the development and the state of the game.

Again, it's a discussion. And as I said earlier, it's hard to talk a game up to the hype it has when it's hard to see why this game is different from the other IP's we've had and will have that has the same core concepts. But I'm not shooting it down, I just have a hard time seeing 10 years worth of gameplay and it's more worrying that they haven't shown anything more than what we've been shown already.
Spence
THF VIP Member
06-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siarnaq View Post
Also, from what I've heard thus far is that they are aiming to have it as a competitive game. I'm sure they want back the MLG days and I am positive that they will be aiming to make it into an MLG game.
I honestly don't think that's true.
Siarnaq
The Endless Obsession.
06-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerrrr View Post
I honestly don't think that's true.
Having a competitive game in a pro circuit is among the best publicity a game can get, since that would also attract players that needs competitive PvP to enjoy a game.
Not to mention the revenue they'd get from having the game on the MLG circuit. I would definitely find it hard to believe that they wouldn't aim for that when they're being given $500m for development by a company quite renowned for wanting any money they can get.