Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum

Display Modes Thread Tools
Spanker
Liberate Me
Subtract from Spanker's ReputationAdd to Spanker's Reputation Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000
11-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunt View Post
Pitbulls are not one breed of dog. Just an FYI.

Also, I'm part of the 'it's more the owner, not the dog' team.

EDIT: Also, I read somewhere German Shepherds were actually responsible for the most dog attacks but I don't exactly remember where I got that 'fact' from or any specifics to it.
In one of the links I provided it said pits are responsible for 59% of all attacks. Not sure if its accurate but I'll be fucked if it is, that's a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
spanks is only here to stifle the happiness of others

My existence led by confusion boats, mutiny from stern to bow.
The storm consumes all.
The Big Lahey
Couple
Subtract from The Big Lahey's ReputationAdd to The Big Lahey's Reputation The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000
11-09-2013

I've seen plain old unruly animals, and animals that exhibited behavior or just not being trained properly. It's the age old argument of nature vs. nuture, and it sure as fuck isn't going to have a clean answer when regarding dogs either. Regarding Pitbulls, I'm on the fence. My experiences have led me to believe that they are relatively docile animals, rowdy when young, but most are. My old roommates used to have one, and while it was anything but violent, it definitely was poorly trained. Needy as all fuck, I couldn't even walk out of my room there without putting my hands in my pockets. When she didn't get the attention she wanted from me, she would piss and shit outside my door when her owners were gone. I woke up one morning after being half awake to whining noises that whole morning only to step in shit right outside my door. That was the only time I ever hit an animal, I lost my composure, shouted FUCK, which might as well been a war cry as I ran up and slapped that dog to the other side of the apartment, where it cowered and shit again in the corner by the door. I regret it completely, but at least the dog left me alone after that. My other experiences with pits have been infinitely better, but then again I was never living with them, so who can say for sure. So my experiences paint a picture of a pretty passive, if not annoying, animal. Given what I've seen, I'd say that the owners have a lot of stake in a pit bull's behavior, probably more-so than other breeds.
slater ohm
MovieCompMovieCompMovieCo
Subtract from slater ohm's ReputationAdd to slater ohm's Reputation slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to slater ohm
11-09-2013

Of course its on the owner. There are plenty of examples of well behaved pitt bulls. Thus -> owner.

As for attacks, with a big animal its always on the owner besides like the rarest of circumstances. I almost never let dogs of leashes and im supposed to be halfway decent at this shit.

As for certain breeds being more dangerous than others, who the fuck knows but it doesnt put ths responsibility on the breed. Pitts are def strong and theres a lot of em but other big dogs are no less dangerous when feeling frightened and loose. Trusting a dog is great, just dont let em loose around small kids no matter what and instruct people near the animal with the correct behavior.

Ive never had hands on exprrience with a pure american pitt but ive been with some staff bull terriers which are supposed to be in the same category. Havent noticed anything different about them in how they react that would be breed specific. But like i said, thats a tough area to call.

Also, theres the thing with certain breeds being popular with specific owners and areas and being put in specific roles which makes them more likely to behave to strangers in a certain way. But ive never looked into studies on that.

THF

Halo 2 videos
Ohmage | Ohmega | Blue sky | Dual | Post Fin | Fash Late
Spanker
Liberate Me
Subtract from Spanker's ReputationAdd to Spanker's Reputation Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000
11-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by slater ohm View Post
Of course its on the owner. There are plenty of examples of well behaved pitt bulls. Thus -> owner.

As for attacks, with a big animal its always on the owner besides like the rarest of circumstances. I almost never let dogs of leashes and im supposed to be halfway decent at this shit.

As for certain breeds being more dangerous than others, who the fuck knows but it doesnt put ths responsibility on the breed. Pitts are def strong and theres a lot of em but other big dogs are no less dangerous when feeling frightened and loose. Trusting a dog is great, just dont let em loose around small kids no matter what and instruct people near the animal with the correct behavior.

Ive never had hands on exprrience with a pure american pitt but ive been with some staff bull terriers which are supposed to be in the same category. Havent noticed anything different about them in how they react that would be breed specific. But like i said, thats a tough area to call.

Also, theres the thing with certain breeds being popular with specific owners and areas and being put in specific roles which makes them more likely to behave to strangers in a certain way. But ive never looked into studies on that.
This is what I was thinking too but I didn't look into it either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
spanks is only here to stifle the happiness of others

My existence led by confusion boats, mutiny from stern to bow.
The storm consumes all.
PM
1 authentic experience
Subtract from PM's ReputationAdd to PM's Reputation PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000 PM IS OVER 9000
11-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by slater ohm View Post
yeah that's essentially what's meant by habitus
Dkahre
Threshold
Subtract from Dkahre's ReputationAdd to Dkahre's Reputation Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000 Dkahre IS OVER 9000
Send a message via ICQ to Dkahre Send a message via Skype™ to Dkahre
11-09-2013

Pitbulls are probably the sweetest dogs ever.

You just got to treat it right.
Tarzan
insignificance
Subtract from Tarzan's ReputationAdd to Tarzan's Reputation Tarzan IS OVER 9000 Tarzan IS OVER 9000 Tarzan IS OVER 9000 Tarzan IS OVER 9000 Tarzan IS OVER 9000 Tarzan IS OVER 9000 Tarzan IS OVER 9000 Tarzan IS OVER 9000 Tarzan IS OVER 9000 Tarzan IS OVER 9000 Tarzan IS OVER 9000
11-09-2013

owners fault.

and please let them pittbulls eat all them little shitty stupid chihuahuas with them stupid barks and there evilness to rule the world.

Bitplague
Subtract from Bitplague's ReputationAdd to Bitplague's Reputation Bitplague IS OVER 9000 Bitplague IS OVER 9000 Bitplague IS OVER 9000 Bitplague IS OVER 9000 Bitplague IS OVER 9000 Bitplague IS OVER 9000 Bitplague IS OVER 9000 Bitplague IS OVER 9000 Bitplague IS OVER 9000 Bitplague IS OVER 9000 Bitplague IS OVER 9000
11-09-2013

From my own experiences it's kind of the owner. One of my friend's dog just keeps jumping on you whenever you're in his house, biting and scratching and generally being impossible to tame. But whenever 2 of my other friends are around they can calm the dog and have it just sit down without jumping on anyone.

But her owner just can't handle her lol
Shunt
Mr. Harold Finch
Subtract from Shunt's ReputationAdd to Shunt's Reputation Shunt IS OVER 9000 Shunt IS OVER 9000 Shunt IS OVER 9000 Shunt IS OVER 9000 Shunt IS OVER 9000 Shunt IS OVER 9000 Shunt IS OVER 9000 Shunt IS OVER 9000 Shunt IS OVER 9000 Shunt IS OVER 9000 Shunt IS OVER 9000
11-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanker View Post
In one of the links I provided it said pits are responsible for 59% of all attacks. Not sure if its accurate but I'll be fucked if it is, that's a lot.
I tend not to look too deep into these sort of statistics mainly because there is a bit of bias behind them all. Hence the reason I put 'facts' when I was referring to the German Shepherd breed. Can't even trust my own damn sources.

In general, I would just recommend everyone avoid being a complete fuck-up and not treat every 'pitbull' like it's going to go for your jugular. They're some of the sweetest dogs alive when given the chance.
MsTkEyes
Pu$$yrich
Subtract from MsTkEyes's ReputationAdd to MsTkEyes's Reputation MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000
11-13-2013

I remember hearing in the news and on a mommy board that chihuahua's were actually the number 1 "attacker" and more prone to snapping and biting. On my phone so hopefully I remember to google for this later.

I'm in the middle of it's an animal and also partly owners responsibility. In OP's situation it's definitely owners responsibility when you have a dog attacking multiple times and owner is aware of the situation. If a dog is leashed and owner is in control and the dog attacks I find responsibility more in the fact that it's still an animal. :/

And from personal experience, our Pitt mix is a huge lap baby and sweet sweet dog that hasn't shown any aggression his entire life other than concern/protection for the babies and kids in our family. My little toy fox terrier is a sweet dog but total aggressive bitch towards other animals, barks at the wind, and has tried snapping at the kids because of her size. I have to have a closer eye with our small dog than our big one. And to protect them I don't let people pet them and always keep them leashed.

Connor was almost attacked by an unleashed German shepherd on a trail earlier this year. I don't hate the breed but I wish I had fucked that couple up for being irresponsible with their dog!
~up, up, up, up, up, up, up~