Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > General Gaming > Hardware & Software

Display Modes Thread Tools
aToeDaSo
Level 23
Subtract from aToeDaSo's ReputationAdd to aToeDaSo's Reputation aToeDaSo is a novice
03-11-2012
Default 460 Se Sli vs 550 Ti Sli

Thread is basically about GD studios(Vince's) 550's.

My current build..

HAF 932 (3 x 235mm fans)
Silencer 610 watt PSU
Gigabyte P55A-UD4P
Intel i5 665k - 3.2 ghz
Patriot Viper - two 4gig sticks - PC3 16000 - 2000 mhz - DDR3
Corsair H70 Water Cooler
1 EVGA Geforce 460 GTX se 1gig
Kingston 64 gig SSD
Western Digital 250 gig HD

Front panel
Multi Card reader
SunBeam Fan controls
Veris - Radio tuner
LG Disk Drive

Just listing everything so you get an idea of the power usage.

Myself and Vince talked it over for a while, And I'm still not completely sure what to do even after reading around on different forums.

If I do try sli 460's I've heard of problems of it not working and well the 460's are power whores. From this I've been able to somewhat come close to the actual draw. Sli 460's will land me in the 500 watt usage; where the sli 550's are around 455 watts usage. I'm just saying because I'm not completely confident my PSU will take this on. I haven't read any problems with the 550's. It's more video ram that way too. I'll be able to sell my old 460 card for decent cash also. Finding another 460 card might be hard, but there are a few out there.

Also does anyone think these cards might be bottle necking my cpu if I go into SLI. Since my cpu is average to low.

thoughts?

True to my religion, 2 everything I'm too different.
So when I die, bury me next to 2 bitches.
Vitality
like whaaaaat
Subtract from Vitality's ReputationAdd to Vitality's Reputation Vitality wears a live rattlesnake as a condom Vitality wears a live rattlesnake as a condom Vitality wears a live rattlesnake as a condom Vitality wears a live rattlesnake as a condom Vitality wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
03-11-2012

460s are more powerful than 550 ti's. not sure about se's though since there just like 700mb vram or something.
aToeDaSo
Level 23
Subtract from aToeDaSo's ReputationAdd to aToeDaSo's Reputation aToeDaSo is a novice
03-11-2012

Well mines at the 1gb, they make 726mb or some shit too.

Vitality
like whaaaaat
Subtract from Vitality's ReputationAdd to Vitality's Reputation Vitality wears a live rattlesnake as a condom Vitality wears a live rattlesnake as a condom Vitality wears a live rattlesnake as a condom Vitality wears a live rattlesnake as a condom Vitality wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
03-11-2012

Keep the 460s
aToeDaSo
Level 23
03-11-2012

I remembered back when I got the 460, me and buddy ordered one. He uprgraded a while ago and sold the other 460 to me today. But, I still need an SLI bridge for them, I can't really find anything on the net for a replacement. Can you just get a standard one or does it have to be for that motherboard. Not sure how bridges work like that, still reading though.

edit: found some on ebay finally.

Last edited by aToeDaSo; 03-11-2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: found out.
Vitality
like whaaaaat
03-11-2012

any sli bridge should work. also you should be able to SLI without the bridge, the bridge just makes it perform a little better.
aToeDaSo
Level 23
03-12-2012

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NVidia-Long-...ht_1503wt_1039

Is what I got, seemed liked a standard one. Thought it was comical that 10 other products has this same screen shot.

That's good to know about the working with out the bridge. It'll be here by Friday says the Ad. I shouldn't be doing any over clocking until the bridge gets here right?

Thanks for the help too, it's hard finding help with this kind of stuff, only a few on this forum know what there talking about.

Vitality
like whaaaaat
03-12-2012

i wouldn't think it would affect overclocking, but it wouldn't hurt to wait until the bridge arrives. and no problem