Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
Prowl
Amazingly Randy
Subtract from Prowl's ReputationAdd to Prowl's Reputation Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary
01-09-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookinfor1v1 View Post
Angry atheists bashing misconceptions about Christianity.
What else is new?
Isn't your post the same thing?
McDevy
Soshified
Subtract from McDevy's ReputationAdd to McDevy's Reputation McDevy is a novice
01-09-2008

Quote:
What else is new?
Ah yes, we are oh so angry aren't we?
tom31deecc FTW
Level 32
Subtract from tom31deecc FTW's ReputationAdd to tom31deecc FTW's Reputation tom31deecc FTW is a novice
Send a message via AIM to tom31deecc FTW Send a message via MSN to tom31deecc FTW
01-09-2008

Quote:
What else is new?
Umm , well recent research shows that Atheists are the most hated minority in the USA ( Source ) . And uh, a few people debated in the religion debate section; nothing new, really.
JCAbernathy
Level 29
Subtract from JCAbernathy's ReputationAdd to JCAbernathy's Reputation JCAbernathy is a novice
01-09-2008

"APPEAL TO POPULARITY: This fallacy tries to support a conclusion about a policy or point of view by citing the extensive acceptance it enjoys. The root mistake in this fallacy is failure to pay attention to what the reasons are, if any, for why the majority thinks the way that it does.

1. Everybody (or a majority, etc) thinks that X is right
2. Therefore, X is right.

This is closely related to APPEAL TO COMMON PRACTICE, which is more of a blame-deflecting device; the root of the fallacy lies in a failure to give a real reason why the questioned practice should be continued. Since everybody (or a majority, etc) is doing X, then it is not so bad for us to do X."

Quote- NiceGuy

I'm not sure if this truly applies to my argument about the majority of the population believing in a religion to make it right. I don't know, just thought I'd bring it up.

tom31deecc FTW
Level 32
Subtract from tom31deecc FTW's ReputationAdd to tom31deecc FTW's Reputation tom31deecc FTW is a novice
Send a message via AIM to tom31deecc FTW Send a message via MSN to tom31deecc FTW
01-10-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAbernathy View Post
"APPEAL TO POPULARITY: This fallacy tries to support a conclusion about a policy or point of view by citing the extensive acceptance it enjoys. The root mistake in this fallacy is failure to pay attention to what the reasons are, if any, for why the majority thinks the way that it does.

1. Everybody (or a majority, etc) thinks that X is right
2. Therefore, X is right.

This is closely related to APPEAL TO COMMON PRACTICE, which is more of a blame-deflecting device; the root of the fallacy lies in a failure to give a real reason why the questioned practice should be continued. Since everybody (or a majority, etc) is doing X, then it is not so bad for us to do X."

Quote- NiceGuy

I'm not sure if this truly applies to my argument about the majority of the population believing in a religion to make it right. I don't know, just thought I'd bring it up.
Yes, it truly does apply to what you said.