Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
12-31-2007
Default Why teach creationism?

If something had some merit and was capable of advancing humanity I'd be an advocate of it's teaching - especially to younger kids. Teaching biology, evolution, and Earth science to kids gets them interested in said fields of study, and helps ensure that the next generation of scientists have the required knowledge they need to make the world a better place.

What we've learned about evolution in the past 150 years has directly led to hundreds-of-thousands of medical 'miracles', and even today, genetic diseases (which are the most devastating, are impossible to cure, and often times are hardly treatable) have the potential to be wiped out, and all the research is based entirely on what we've learned about evolution.

The technology we use (and seem to charish) today is based entirely on science that indicates the world, and Our Universe, is billions of years old, not thousands.

So, why would we even want to teach creationism? Believe it or not, if creationism had evidence indicating it might possibly have some merit, I'd advocate that it be taught to children. But it doesn't have any evidence supporting it's idea about things.

Despite all that, about 25% of The United States wants it to be taught in public schools. Why? Well, some people believe that it should be taught because they think there is some sort of controversy among scientists about whether or not the natural sciences are correct - that's absolute bullshit. Of the millions of scientists in this world, there are very few (a fraction of a percent) believe creationism to be true.

Normally, a scientific theory must be published, and peer reviewed. After a decade or two, once it's gained some credibility, it's generally okay to teach it in schools. Creation wacko's (they actually call themselves scientists) want to bypass that process, and just insert their psuedotheory into the public education system. In order for something to be taught in a public school, it must be accepted by whatever group (historians, scientists, mathematicians, etc) came up with it. The only place where creationism is accepted is in church...

This is a thread created to debate about whether or not creationism should be taught, and to debate about the 'science' surrounding it. Although I haven't run this by MarkedAchillies, I'm almost positive you can run any biology question you can think of by him. Anything and everything regarding the medical (and probably Earth science, like chemistry, physics, etc) you can run by me.
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
I WeAr A PwNzOr
Gone
Subtract from I WeAr A PwNzOr's ReputationAdd to I WeAr A PwNzOr's Reputation I WeAr A PwNzOr is a novice
12-31-2007

I concur 100%

My opinion is basically the quote in you sig by Judith Hayes.

Quote:
If we are going to teach 'creation science' as an alternative to evolution, then we should also teach the stork theory as an alternative to biological reproduction.
Why would we teach something that ultimatley does not make sense, and has no evidence of being correct or true?

McDevy
Soshified
Subtract from McDevy's ReputationAdd to McDevy's Reputation McDevy is a novice
12-31-2007

I agree buddy, glad to see someone can put into words what I usually have a hard time expressing
Sociable
Underage
Subtract from Sociable's ReputationAdd to Sociable's Reputation Sociable is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Sociable
12-31-2007

Because children like storks...
y4n3r5
Level 34
Subtract from y4n3r5's ReputationAdd to y4n3r5's Reputation y4n3r5 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to y4n3r5
12-31-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchButtHair View Post
If something had some merit and was capable of advancing humanity I'd be an advocate of it's teaching - especially to younger kids. Teaching biology, evolution, and Earth science to kids gets them interested in said fields of study, and helps ensure that the next generation of scientists have the required knowledge they need to make the world a better place.

What we've learned about evolution in the past 150 years has directly led to hundreds-of-thousands of medical 'miracles', and even today, genetic diseases (which are the most devastating, are impossible to cure, and often times are hardly treatable) have the potential to be wiped out, and all the research is based entirely on what we've learned about evolution.

The technology we use (and seem to charish) today is based entirely on science that indicates the world, and Our Universe, is billions of years old, not thousands.

So, why would we even want to teach creationism? Believe it or not, if creationism had evidence indicating it might possibly have some merit, I'd advocate that it be taught to children. But it doesn't have any evidence supporting it's idea about things.

Despite all that, about 25% of The United States wants it to be taught in public schools. Why? Well, some people believe that it should be taught because they think there is some sort of controversy among scientists about whether or not the natural sciences are correct - that's absolute bullsh.t. Of the millions of scientists in this world, there are very few (a fraction of a percent) believe creationism to be true.

Normally, a scientific theory must be published, and peer reviewed. After a decade or two, once it's gained some credibility, it's generally okay to teach it in schools. Creation wacko's (they actually call themselves scientists) want to bypass that process, and just insert their psuedotheory into the public education system. In order for something to be taught in a public school, it must be accepted by whatever group (historians, scientists, mathematicians, etc) came up with it. The only place where creationism is accepted is in church...

This is a thread created to debate about whether or not creationism should be taught, and to debate about the 'science' surrounding it. Although I haven't run this by MarkedAchillies, I'm almost positive you can run any biology question you can think of by him. Anything and everything regarding the medical (and probably Earth science, like chemistry, physics, etc) you can run by me.
Good rant. +1 brother.
General AI
Eats Small Children
Subtract from General AI's ReputationAdd to General AI's Reputation General AI is a novice
12-31-2007

I think we should also teach the stork theory in Biology and the Flying Spaghetti Monster in Science....

EDIT: Crap, apparently Judith Hayes beat me to the stork comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuff
...you're a terrorist sympathizer. I'd rather be an idiot if that's the choice. At least I'd be a person, though stupid, who is at least on the right side of morality. God doesn't care if you're stupid or not, he does care if you are evil or not.
Vrbas
i'm around
Subtract from Vrbas's ReputationAdd to Vrbas's Reputation Vrbas is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Vrbas
01-01-2008

Who teaches creationism? Even the private schools in my city don't even teach it. Sure we'll talk about it but most science/biology books regardless of the school contain the evolutionary theory.... or is that just in Memphis?
General AI
Eats Small Children
Subtract from General AI's ReputationAdd to General AI's Reputation General AI is a novice
01-05-2008

Creationism is idiotic. Personally I think that any theory that has even a sliver of evidence behind it should trump creationism when it comes to education.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuff
...you're a terrorist sympathizer. I'd rather be an idiot if that's the choice. At least I'd be a person, though stupid, who is at least on the right side of morality. God doesn't care if you're stupid or not, he does care if you are evil or not.
JCAbernathy
Level 29
Subtract from JCAbernathy's ReputationAdd to JCAbernathy's Reputation JCAbernathy is a novice
01-05-2008

What school do you go to? If I remember correctly, the only place Creationism was "taught" was church. Like its always been for me.

You're just taking another negative stand against religion to fuel your rage towards those that do believe. Lay off.

MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
01-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAbernathy View Post
What school do you go to? If I remember correctly, the only place Creationism was "taught" was church. Like its always been for me.

You're just taking another negative stand against religion to fuel your rage towards those that do believe. Lay off.
Kansas had it added to their curriculum for a time.

Other places still teach it as well.

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621