Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Complete Off-Topic > Movies & Television

Display Modes Thread Tools
Lynx
pls donate for my xbone
Subtract from Lynx's ReputationAdd to Lynx's Reputation Lynx IS OVER 9000 Lynx IS OVER 9000 Lynx IS OVER 9000 Lynx IS OVER 9000 Lynx IS OVER 9000 Lynx IS OVER 9000 Lynx IS OVER 9000 Lynx IS OVER 9000 Lynx IS OVER 9000 Lynx IS OVER 9000 Lynx IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Lynx
09-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamonn View Post
Has anyone watched 'Now You See Me'? I'm 3/4th done and its a pretty good movie. It's a bunch of magicians pulling off heists with the FBI chasing em.

Jesse Eisenberg
Wow, I just looked it up and that's actually his real name. That's funny.
The Big Lahey
Couple
Subtract from The Big Lahey's ReputationAdd to The Big Lahey's Reputation The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000 The Big Lahey IS OVER 9000
09-08-2013

Would like to a see a Duel paranoia meets a 127 Hours like survival story of a downed plane in the middle of the western desert. The cause of the crash would be suspect, but something on the side none-the-less. All that would be revealed is that it left fire in the sky, and made a very loud noise, downing the plane without making direct contact. The surviving pilot would occasionally feel like he was being watched as he made his way through the desert, maybe even showing a figure off in the distance, but under questionable circumstances considering the pilot's state of mind. Might be too suggestive. This is where I would need something else to really drive the story I guess, all I got is the stuff on the side. The Stranger in Red Dead Redemption so to speak. Maybe some Flight of the Phoenix shit without being Flight of the Phoenix, like trying to build shelter out of wreckage only to realize there are parts that aren't accounted for. I guess I'm just trying to find a way to make an alien encounter movie that masquerades around as something completely different, only revealing itself through investigation. I also struggle making that a rewarding revelation as opposed to some cheap Abram's-like angle on something. Something that can be open ended enough to be discussed without getting muddled by conspiracy shit, where everything becomes important for dumb, irrelevant reasons.

I'm on the fence with letting the audience understand alien intentions, but I might be open to let them debate about them. Have a scene that starts off the ending act of the movie where he eventually finds a river that he thinks he can identify and sets up camp with the intent to follow it back to wherever. Something awakes him during the night, but not in the suggestive way that something was probing his mind or anything like that, simple rustling. He suspects coyotes and the like, and precedes to jump out of his tent or whatever shelter he built to chase them off while making loud noises. You hear something run off and he realizes some of his food has been torn open and taken. It wouldn't be until later in the movie that the pilot realizes he can't find his compass. He hadn't checked it for a while considering he was relying on the known river to lead him back, and given his delirious state of mind as of late, it's something you can toss up as well, or accredit to a number of incidents, like a fall down a slope, wading through the river the other side, etc. Point being is that once realizing that the river was leading nowhere, and that he lost his compass, his chances were slim. At which point you can have your surrendering scene to whatever other force was driving the movie, in this case being an emotional one given his solitude. Then like Cast Away and Life of Pi and all those before it, you can have your last minute unintentional rescue. This time by NOVA or NASA or whoever the fuck would be responding to a astronomical event like the one we recently saw in Russia, scanning for and collecting potential debris. The search results would remain unknown of course, as the movie would end with either the choppers coming down, or in the ride back. It would be cool to have people question the intentions of this unseen character once they collectively establish it even exists or not. Whether or not it crashed, giving the impression of a meteor coming through the atmosphere, or if it was there studying the meteor crash, and the only victim of it. Whether or not it was there at the river, whether or not it took wreckage and equipment or if it wasn't accounted for or lost considering the circumstances of the crash and the journey back. Was it using that equipment, mimicking a native's survival attempts as it struggles to survive on a foreign planet? Or just studying it?

Eh it's way too thin and dumb right now, I would need to give it a thought more thought. Just some stoned ramblings for the time being.

EDIT: Really just fun to imagine some poor smuck pilot stranded in the middle of the western desert, looking off into the distant mountains slowly realizing there is something else out there, and that it is greater than he is, but that they are tied together in some odd parasitical relationship for survival.

EDIT2: I think it would be better if he had a co-pilot with him, a close friend or family member. When they crash the pilot would be the sole survivor, but he would be have hallucinations of his co-pilot from time to time during manic episodes or something. Or maybe he could suspect the whole movie that his co-pilot is still alive, and possibly stalking him for whatever reason, fueling his paranoia. Going back to the alien aspect, it might be a decent enough facade.

Last edited by The Big Lahey; 09-08-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Scott
uber n00b (level 2)
Subtract from Scott's ReputationAdd to Scott's Reputation Scott is bustin' chills and getting paided Scott is bustin' chills and getting paided Scott is bustin' chills and getting paided Scott is bustin' chills and getting paided Scott is bustin' chills and getting paided Scott is bustin' chills and getting paided
Send a message via AIM to Scott
09-08-2013

europa report is real good

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2051879/reference
Eamonn
dwightdwightdwightdwight
Subtract from Eamonn's ReputationAdd to Eamonn's Reputation Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000
Send a message via Skype™ to Eamonn
09-08-2013

Yeah I really liked it. Could be something we actually see happen in the near future as well (the reality TV part).
|| TM22 ||
THF VIP Member
Subtract from || TM22 ||'s ReputationAdd to || TM22 ||'s Reputation || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000 || TM22 || IS OVER 9000
09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I actually liked it. It was weird though, it kept moving from found footage to actual cinematography footage. Why put the effort into making it a found footage film whilst still shooting it 'regularly'. All in all it was refreshing to see a sci-fi done on such a low budget. Props to everybody involved
Rhis
Gucci Bacchae
Subtract from Rhis's ReputationAdd to Rhis's Reputation Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000 Rhis IS OVER 9000
09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peng View Post
Just watched Now You See Me, and I loved it.

I'm just glad that
Spoiler!
That movie was so awful. such a stupid twist.

Regards,
Peng
Well you are a festizio.
Subtract from Peng's ReputationAdd to Peng's Reputation Peng finally popped his Bubble Shield Peng finally popped his Bubble Shield Peng finally popped his Bubble Shield Peng finally popped his Bubble Shield
Send a message via AIM to Peng Send a message via MSN to Peng
09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhis View Post
That movie was so awful. such a stupid twist.
The movie wasn't Prestige-good, but I really enjoyed it. Idk man.
WAN73D
Level 24
Subtract from WAN73D's ReputationAdd to WAN73D's Reputation WAN73D wears a live rattlesnake as a condom WAN73D wears a live rattlesnake as a condom WAN73D wears a live rattlesnake as a condom WAN73D wears a live rattlesnake as a condom WAN73D wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via AIM to WAN73D
09-12-2013

For the Aronofsky fans out there, I was blessed enough to wind up in a work print screening of Noah earlier this evening. Yes, I'm bragging. I apologize if that makes me an ass. Obviously, I can't say anything about the plot cause of dat NDA (which is sort of hilarious, when you think about it), but I'm willing to give some subjective, extraordinarily vague responses to those interested.

A few very brief thoughts because I need to crash ASAP:

- At times, Aronofsky took an approach to the story that I was really really really REALLY FUCKING REALLY hoping he would and he does it pretty damn well. It was an excellent film throughout those scenes. However, at other times, he took an approach that I was very much hoping he would not take, and I definitely think those moments represent the weakest in the film. I'm hoping they cut down on the latter before the actual release (it could absolutely be done), but I imagine those moments are in there primarily for marketing purposes, so I'm not sure what to expect.

- I didn't really "meet" Darren Aronofsky, but he was there, so that was cool. I went with a bunch of people, and most of them were selected for a focus group afterwards...but I don't think any of them recognized the guy. What is wrong with you people?!

- Jennifer Connelly. Holy shit.
Peng
Well you are a festizio.
Subtract from Peng's ReputationAdd to Peng's Reputation Peng finally popped his Bubble Shield Peng finally popped his Bubble Shield Peng finally popped his Bubble Shield Peng finally popped his Bubble Shield
Send a message via AIM to Peng Send a message via MSN to Peng
09-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAN73D View Post
For the Aronofsky fans out there, I was blessed enough to wind up in a work print screening of Noah earlier this evening. Yes, I'm bragging. I apologize if that makes me an ass. Obviously, I can't say anything about the plot cause of dat NDA (which is sort of hilarious, when you think about it), but I'm willing to give some subjective, extraordinarily vague responses to those interested.

A few very brief thoughts because I need to crash ASAP:

- At times, Aronofsky took an approach to the story that I was really really really REALLY FUCKING REALLY hoping he would and he does it pretty damn well. It was an excellent film throughout those scenes. However, at other times, he took an approach that I was very much hoping he would not take, and I definitely think those moments represent the weakest in the film. I'm hoping they cut down on the latter before the actual release (it could absolutely be done), but I imagine those moments are in there primarily for marketing purposes, so I'm not sure what to expect.

- I didn't really "meet" Darren Aronofsky, but he was there, so that was cool. I went with a bunch of people, and most of them were selected for a focus group afterwards...but I don't think any of them recognized the guy. What is wrong with you people?!

- Jennifer Connelly. Holy shit.
That IMDB comments page...My head hurts.
Vintage
Level 19
Subtract from Vintage's ReputationAdd to Vintage's Reputation Vintage is on the rise to fame Vintage is on the rise to fame
09-21-2013

Just scooped up The Evil Dead 2 and Hugo for $5 each. 2 of my favorite films of all time.

Also
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wananay View Post
Lol is Robocop actually going to be PG-13
^

So far it looks as boring as the total recall remake. People should really stop remaking Paul Verhoeven films.

Last edited by Vintage; 09-21-2013 at 04:47 PM.