Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum

Display Modes Thread Tools
mike
OG status
Subtract from mike's ReputationAdd to mike's Reputation mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to mike
11-10-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkedAchilles View Post
You are not familiar with the issue are ya . . .
no i am, i just dont live in california and i am apathetic.
over 2.5k views on youtube! Voted "best!"
32 Youtube Subscribers <3

Support THF and like our stuff ! Do it for mike, it's all he has

RIP Elmo, gone but never forgotten <3
MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
11-10-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Mike View Post
no i am, i just dont live in california and i am apathetic.
Then why leave out the Morman Church?

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621
mike
OG status
Subtract from mike's ReputationAdd to mike's Reputation mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000 mike IS OVER 9000
11-10-2008

Quote:
Then why leave out the Morman Church?
Quote:
Originally Posted by im so awesome
joseph smith was a great prophet

MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
11-10-2008

Quote:
I am officially confused.

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

mike
OG status
11-10-2008

Quote:
I am officially confused.
then i have done my job, good day

FoRk
Level 33
Subtract from FoRk's ReputationAdd to FoRk's Reputation FoRk is stuck in campaign mode
Send a message via Yahoo to FoRk Send a message via Skype™ to FoRk
11-10-2008

Quote:
leave the mormons out of this, joseph smith was a great prophet

Nice sarcasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTz RayZor View Post
Fork is the one and only Epic Succeeder.
theRifleman
Level 13
Subtract from theRifleman's ReputationAdd to theRifleman's Reputation theRifleman is a novice
11-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVideo View Post
It is interesting to see 12 some-odd pages of posts talking about gay rights, but the truth regarding State legislation about gay marriage boils down to one thing, and that is money.

The family court system varies from State to State. What this means is that there are fifty different legislative and judicial models of this civil law subset. The one thing that they all have in common, however, is that they are all modelled after a "mother-father" corporate fiction representation and decree hierarchy. To include same-sex legislation would require a complete re-write of all fifty family court civil law, each respective to their own State (ignoring the Territories which would have to do the same thing).

Obama, being a graduate of Harvard law school, knows full well that it is impossible from a legislative standpoint of simply "including" same sex marriage into law, for all States, without considering that it would cost many millions if not billions of dollars and tens of thousands of lawyer manhours to re-write all these laws on a new modelling system. Even after that, legislative sessions would be swamped as the process of actually passing these laws would take decades to address and re-structure. Summarily, the task would be exteremely expensive and take a very long time to come to fruition. Unless you are a complete shut-in, or ignorant of what's going on out there, you are aware (hopefully) that most States are pretty much stretched to the limit. In other words, they are broke.

The States simply do not have the resource to farm out this task of a complete 're-build' of the family court system. The good news is that, today, a same-sex couple essentially enjoys all the rights and freedoms of a heterosexual husband and wife. You can co-own property, share a joint bank account, even have a ceremony (it just wont be recognized by the State) and nobody is really going to care.

So if you believe that this is really an issue of "rights", then you are most likely uninformed, naive, simple minded, unaware of the real issue, a bullsh.t artist primo fascia, or maybe just plain stupid, or perhaps all of the above.
I'm sure you're right, and I'm not challenging you, but would that not be similar to what happened with desegregation? Was that not nationwide and in law? I'm just curious.
MarkedAchilles
11-11-2008

Quote:
then i have done my job, good day
Obviously my brain has been fried from 3 days of straight studying . . . now that I have some beer in me. . . well, still doesn't make sense.

But as long as something was accomplished, super.

RVideo
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from RVideo's ReputationAdd to RVideo's Reputation RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000
11-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by theRifleman View Post
I'm sure you're right, and I'm not challenging you, but would that not be similar to what happened with desegregation? Was that not nationwide and in law? I'm just curious.
Segregation is a bit of a different subject, but I see what you are thinking about. The process of de-segregation was, in fact, very long with many steps along the way, on all levels (local, State and Federal). However, it wasn't very expensive for Governments to simply remove (or repeal) the segregation laws in effect, nor for any of the subsequent civil rights laws.

There is a key difference here, and that is that segregation had a very negative real-world impact on the lives of minorities (not just Blacks - there were Chinese, Jewish, Italian, Irish and even Women segregation laws historically). Removal of these laws resulted in a very great change in their everyday lives for the better. To re-build the family court system to incorporate State recognized marriage of same sex couples would not only be, as I mentioned earlier, extremely expensive and, in point of fact take decades to complete, the result such a Herculean task would be essentially a 'nod from the State' recognizing the marriage to be, as is with the current structure, permission to do business as one entity (joint offices of two corporate fictions of PERSON and no longer structured on the mother/father husband/wife fictional representations in a Court).

BUT WAIT! What was that I just typed? Such expensive and prolonged legislation would allow a same-sex couple to do what they already can do anyways. Remember, when you are married under a State seal you are given a license, and what is a license? A license is permission to conduct business as a couple, just as your drivers license allows you to conduct business on a public road (note -operating a motor vehicle is considered 'conducting business' - see?). A fishing license allows you to conduct business of fishing within limitations (note that fishing is harvesting - just like farming. To you it's just baiting a hook and casting out - to the State it's considered conducting business).

A license is a State sanctioned permission to conduct business in an activity that would otherwise be illegal without the license.
A marriage license is no different.

However, as I said before, a same sex couple can do business just fine, thank you very much, without the license (joint bank accounts, joint loan applications, co-habitation, applying for DBA limited corporate fiction entity - all easily done anyways).

But why is it so expensive to re-build Family law based on same sex marriage? If you look up most laws that are marriage related, you will quickly find that there are some legal definitions that are intrer-woven such as "office of HUSBAND", office of "WIFE" (all caps on purpose - all caps in any legal document = a corporate fiction or office - this is why your name will always be capitalized on every legal document you ever sign for the rest of your life - leases, car loans, licenses, school loans, birth certificates).

And what about the complex tax laws both Federal and State that have to be re-written to incorporate same-sex couples? Now THATS a whole nother can of worms there (have you ever seen the tax code/laws? wow). Sadly, today, filing as "married filing jointly" doesnt carry much (if any) of a tax "break" any more, so there wouldnt be any real benefit for same sex couples here (above a heterosexual couple).

Degegregation had a very large impact on the everyday lives of millions of minorities, and was obviously necessary. Incorporating same-sex marriage into the laws of all 50 States? It would be very hard to do, be incredibly expensive, take a very long time, and in the end, would have virtually no real world impact on the everyday lives of same-sex couples, anyway.

Whew that was a long post.
Enervate You
H2F Regular
Subtract from Enervate You's ReputationAdd to Enervate You's Reputation Enervate You is a novice
11-12-2008

Tax laws are written and re-written on a local, state and Federal level every year. It's a bullshit point to try and say that it would be too costly on our time, money or otherwise to implement the same tax breaks for homosexual couples that heterosexuals already enjoy.

The government implements a new law, the tax software companies upload a patch for their programs, you download said patch, spend an hour of your time doing your taxes while being none-the-wiser.

Please explain, in depth, how not giving homosexual couples their right to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" is justifiable for any reason. Especially for something as insignificant as an inconvenience for overpaid, underworked, greedy politicians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVideo View Post
if it was Steve Jobs then you would probably have to pay HIM a buck to watch the ad.
It would also only be available in encrypted QT format, playable only on any Mac or iPhone.
I respect:
NiceGuy
MarkedAchilles

Froggy618157725
Rebal771
Darth Hulk
Midpoint
Cursed Lemon