Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate
View Poll Results: Do you believe in God?
Nuh uh, no way he's real 84 47.46%
Maybe, i can see where he can reasonably exist 32 18.08%
Yes, i believe God exists 61 34.46%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Display Modes Thread Tools
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
The Colostomizer's Avatar
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 290,211
Subtract from The Colostomizer's ReputationAdd to The Colostomizer's Reputation The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000
#401
12-16-2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSpartan View Post
I think people make way to big of a deal out of the "literal or figurative interpretation of the bible" argument.
Really? How about Genesis? Do you think it's unimportant to know whether the story of our creation should be read literally or figuratively?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSpartan View Post
I wish people would realize that the Bible is subject to interpretation just like our very own Constitution is.
What kind of cognitive dissonance do you have going on that you can compare the Bible, which is supposed to be the inerrant word of God, to the Constitution, which you understand is authored by human beings, without batting an eye? An infallible piece of text sent from on high absolutely should not be so open to interpretation of its most basic tenets. Such ambiguity is exactly what you'd expect if it was invented by man.
Amphorix
n00b (level 8)
Amphorix's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 16
Subtract from Amphorix's ReputationAdd to Amphorix's Reputation Amphorix is a novice
Send a message via MSN to Amphorix
#402
12-16-2010
Default

I believe that a god exists, I just dont believe in religeon
Pineapple
Level 27
Pineapple's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Yew Nork
Posts: 990
Subtract from Pineapple's ReputationAdd to Pineapple's Reputation Pineapple is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Pineapple
#403
12-16-2010
Default

God doesn't believe in Atheists.

^Bumper Sticker I saw today. I lol'd

davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
davobrosia's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 22,593
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
#404
12-16-2010
Default




So was that passage just meant to be taken figuratively?
Spoiler!
Prowl
Amazingly Randy
Prowl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bham
Posts: 17,168
Subtract from Prowl's ReputationAdd to Prowl's Reputation Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary
#405
12-16-2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSpartan View Post
I think people make way to big of a deal out of the "literal or figurative interpretation of the bible" argument. I wish people would realize that the Bible is subject to interpretation just like our very own Constitution is. I mean, we have judicial system that interprets the law every day, and they don't always come to the same conclusion day after day, or we would have never made some of the amendments we've made.

As a believer, I can really disregard all of the trivial nitpicking of doctrine because I understand what the Bible as a whole teaches us, what the big picture is. Organized religion has probably been the most detrimental thing to the Christian faith. Too many old men haggling over unimportant things like how to interpret this story, should this passage be taken in a literal sense or a figurative one, can we eat meat on this day or can't we, so on and so forth.
You would think that an all knowing, all powerful god would be a good enough writer to not make the most important literature in the universe so hard to understand.
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
davobrosia's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 22,593
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
#406
12-16-2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
You would think that an all knowing, all powerful god would be a good enough writer to not make the most important literature in the universe so hard to understand.
God hates stupid people.


Wait, that can't be right...
Spoiler!
Vrbas
i'm around
Vrbas's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,548
Subtract from Vrbas's ReputationAdd to Vrbas's Reputation Vrbas is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Vrbas
#407
12-30-2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
You would think that an all knowing, all powerful god would be a good enough writer to not make the most important literature in the universe so hard to understand.
Can you agree with me that there are people out there that simply do not want to understand? People believe what they want to believe, that's practically an end all. However, i don't think the Bible is this esoteric cryptogram that some make it out to be. It's plainly written and the truth is plain to see for those willing to "dethrone" themselves and admit that they aren't all there is to the world. To come to terms with the truth that there is an artist, a creator, a Lord and to admit that they are not #1. The concept of pride is rich in detail as it relates to those who choose to believe and those that choose not to believe. I think A.W. Tozer communicated this quite well speaking on the concept of "selfhood":

"The natural man is a sinner because and only because he challenges God's selfhood in relation to his own. In all else he may willingly accept the sovereignty of God; in his own life he rejects it. For him, God's dominion ends where his begins. For him, self becomes Self, and in this he unconsciously imitates Lucifer, that fallen son of the morning who said in his heart, 'I will ascend into heaven, i will exalt my throne above the stars of God...I will be like the Most Hight.'
Yet, so subtle is self that scarcely anyone is conscious of its presence. Because man is born a rebel, he is unaware that he is one. His constant assertation of self, as far as he thinks of it at all, appears to him a perfectly normal thing. He is willing to share himself, sometimes even to sacrifice himself for a desired end, but never to dethrone himself. No matter how far down the scale of social acceptance he may slide, he is still in his own eyes a king on a throne, and no one, not even God, can take that throne from him."
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
davobrosia's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 22,593
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
#408
12-30-2010
Default



Quote:
It's plainly written and the truth is plain to see
It's really funny you said this, because that passage from Isaiah is actually referring to the king of Babylon's thoughts, not the devil's. The modern Satan/Lucifer myth has very little actual biblical support.
Spoiler!

Last edited by davobrosia; 12-30-2010 at 03:28 PM.
zyphex
Level 25
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 888
Subtract from zyphex's ReputationAdd to zyphex's Reputation zyphex IS OVER 9000 zyphex IS OVER 9000 zyphex IS OVER 9000 zyphex IS OVER 9000 zyphex IS OVER 9000 zyphex IS OVER 9000 zyphex IS OVER 9000 zyphex IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to zyphex
#409
12-30-2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbas View Post
Can you agree with me that there are people out there that simply do not want to understand? People believe what they want to believe, that's practically an end all. However, i don't think the Bible is this esoteric cryptogram that some make it out to be. It's plainly written and the truth is plain to see for those willing to "dethrone" themselves and admit that they aren't all there is to the world.
Earlier you claimed the bible was a history, now you claim it is plainly written and is the plain truth. If this is so, how am I to reconcile the first two chapters of Genesis? If the truth is so plain, am I supposed to believe man and woman were created simultaneously, or that a man named Adam was created first, and then Eve was created out of a rib? Were there two creations of Earth? Does that make sense, or is that a plain true divine mystery that as a mortal I cannot comprehend?

The Bible is not a piece of plain truth and history. It requires interpretation of underlying sacred truths.
GT: Zyphex
freak
#1 butt eater™
freak's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,606
Subtract from freak's ReputationAdd to freak's Reputation freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000
#410
12-30-2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbas View Post
It's plainly written and the truth is plain to see
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/by_name.html
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off