Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate
View Poll Results: Do you believe in God?
Nuh uh, no way he's real 84 47.46%
Maybe, i can see where he can reasonably exist 32 18.08%
Yes, i believe God exists 61 34.46%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Display Modes Thread Tools
Vrbas
i'm around
Vrbas's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,548
Subtract from Vrbas's ReputationAdd to Vrbas's Reputation Vrbas is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Vrbas
#361
12-09-2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithoutModem View Post
gotta love how biased this poll is
Yeah, i should have made it more extensive. I was trying to just make it as simple and black and white as possible (yes, no, maybe), but I overestimated how hard that is to do with this.
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
davobrosia's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 22,593
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
#362
12-09-2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbas View Post
Maybe. So you're telling me because i believe that and you don't it makes you more enlightened than me? Kind of arrogant don't you think (mind you i'm addressing your "active condescension")?
There you go putting words in my mouth again.
Quote:
How am i supposed to convince you of my experience? I can't, you would have had to experience it. Where do you get off saying that one cannot experience God in something as simple as an overseas trip? And it wasn't church affiliated.
I experience lack of god every day. I don't expect that to convince you, but at the same time I don't bother wasting your time by telling you.

Quote:
It's hardly a cop-out. It's more along the lines of "nothing you say is going to make a difference or change anyone's mind" so why bother trying.
There's another assumption. And its footsteps as it approaches sound suspiciously like the tapdance you're doing around actually giving your reasoning.
Quote:
That's not why i wrote what i wrote. I'm not interested in convincing you, or anyone really.
Okay, just so long as you're okay with failing at your own belief system.
Quote:
The scriptures said it is necessary to have an answer ready for the faith you believe in
"I HAVE AN ANSWER I JUST DON'T FEEL LIKE TELLING YOU" is about as unproductive as you can get. And "the scriptures" don't say anything about having an answer people will accept. They actually sort of endorse this persecution complex you've got, what with predicting that people will doubt you. It seems you've created a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Quote:
I just wanted to share some of my beliefs to go along with the subject of the thread. You can't have insecurities in this thread because they will get railed on, mainly due to many times people's positions are shown little to no respect.
No, that's the thing. You do have insecurities about your own ability to answer, and you're projecting them outward and accusing others of patently false things. Prove me wrong by answering.

Quote:
Alright then. Substitute the words "formula" and "equation" with simply "science" and there's my point. Do you think all we can "trust" is something that can be recreated or sustained in a lab? I personally don't NEED science to spell everything out for me, because it can't.
Okay Dorothy...


Quote:
In the end i'm not trying to convince anyone that i've got it figured out or that you're all simpletons because you don't listen to me. I made sure to stress that in my recent posts.
Funny, because what you actually ended up doing was creating caricatured versions of people who disagree with you and explaining why they're mean and you're just going to take your ball and go home.
Quote:
I thought i could share a little bit on where i stand with my personal beliefs without having to deal with elitists that get stiffies out of condescending to others (not pointing fingers, but dave you're giving me that impression).
Save that sh.t for your Livejournal.

Quote:
But it only takes a little respect to consider that someone might actually believe differently than you and, in my case, partake in this thing known as "faith" without having to be called a blind fool living in a false reality of religious hooplah.
You're really going to have to stop with this persecution complex of yours. Have you been called a "blind fool" anytime recently here?
Quote:
Maybe not what you were "getting at", and i'm sure you'll come back and say "did i say that? no". But your tone reeks of it and your blatant remark on "condescending" to me shouts it.
Disrespecting and insulting your beliefs does not amount to attacking you as a person. You are not your belief system.
Spoiler!
ManWithoutModem
Level 32
ManWithoutModem's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,466
Subtract from ManWithoutModem's ReputationAdd to ManWithoutModem's Reputation ManWithoutModem is a novice
#363
12-10-2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbas View Post
Yeah, i should have made it more extensive. I was trying to just make it as simple and black and white as possible (yes, no, maybe), but I overestimated how hard that is to do with this.
Understandable, but you do realize that the description for "No" seems sort of childish and looks like it was meant to keep people from choosing it?
Vrbas
i'm around
Vrbas's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,548
Subtract from Vrbas's ReputationAdd to Vrbas's Reputation Vrbas is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Vrbas
#364
12-10-2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davobrosia View Post
There you go putting words in my mouth again.
Do you know what condescending means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davobrosia View Post
No, that's the thing. You do have insecurities about your own ability to answer, and you're projecting them outward and accusing others of patently false things. Prove me wrong by answering.
What was the question again?



Quote:
Originally Posted by davobrosia View Post
You're really going to have to stop with this persecution complex of yours. Have you been called a "blind fool" anytime recently here?
Can you tell me that if you wanted to be brutally honest that's what you wouldn't call it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davobrosia View Post
Disrespecting and insulting your beliefs does not amount to attacking you as a person. You are not your belief system.
You're right, i retract some of my previous comments, my judgment was misplaced.
Vrbas
i'm around
Vrbas's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,548
Subtract from Vrbas's ReputationAdd to Vrbas's Reputation Vrbas is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Vrbas
#365
12-10-2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithoutModem View Post
Understandable, but you do realize that the description for "No" seems sort of childish and looks like it was meant to keep people from choosing it?
Not really. I figure those people are proud to say no

**EDIT
Yeah, it is childish. I admit i was just trying to be a little goofy with my wording on the poll (thought it only showed on that one), but i wasn't trying to deter people from it.

Last edited by Vrbas; 12-10-2010 at 12:29 AM.
SizZLe
No More Locked Doors
SizZLe's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hyperbolic Time Chamber
Posts: 9,492
Subtract from SizZLe's ReputationAdd to SizZLe's Reputation SizZLe IS OVER 9000 SizZLe IS OVER 9000 SizZLe IS OVER 9000 SizZLe IS OVER 9000 SizZLe IS OVER 9000 SizZLe IS OVER 9000 SizZLe IS OVER 9000 SizZLe IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to SizZLe Send a message via MSN to SizZLe
#366
12-10-2010
Default

Yes I believe in him.
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
davobrosia's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 22,593
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
#367
12-10-2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbas View Post
Do you know what condescending means?
Do you remember what you typed?
Quote:
So you're telling me because i believe that and you don't it makes you more enlightened than me?
Here you ask a rhetorical question that suggests an intentionally ridiculous reading of what I actually said. Condescension has nothing to do with "enlightenment." I've made no claims to knowledge here.

Quote:
What was the question again?
You tell me.
Quote:
The scriptures said it is necessary to have an answer ready for the faith you believe in because it will be questioned.

Quote:
Can you tell me that if you wanted to be brutally honest that's what you wouldn't call it?
I can. You're not a fool. Because you exist, you're unable to get a view from nowhere; and your faith short-circuits your reasoning faculties but then feeds into it in the form of rationalization. Like I said, you can't reason someone out of a position he didn't reason himself into.
Spoiler!
Vrbas
i'm around
Vrbas's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,548
Subtract from Vrbas's ReputationAdd to Vrbas's Reputation Vrbas is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Vrbas
#368
12-10-2010
Default

Look up the definition of "condescending".

As far as my answer... i've given an answer. It's not the one you're looking for because you're not convinced. You wouldn't be satisfied with any answer i present. You'd just call me intellectually lazy for not writing an articulately crafted essay. You already have called me lazy once. I'm not projecting persecution, you're just easy to predict. My answer is simple and concise and if you follow me at all in the discussions on this forum you will see that I am clear about my beliefs and why.

Last edited by Vrbas; 12-10-2010 at 01:11 AM.
ManWithoutModem
Level 32
ManWithoutModem's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,466
Subtract from ManWithoutModem's ReputationAdd to ManWithoutModem's Reputation ManWithoutModem is a novice
#369
12-10-2010
Default

I have 100% faith in Horus.
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
davobrosia's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 22,593
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
#370
12-10-2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbas View Post
Look up the definition of "condescending".
I condescend you without making any claims to enlightenment. It's not that hard to grasp.

Quote:
As far as my answer... i've given an answer. It's not the one you're looking for because you're not convinced.
I must have missed it among all the weaseling around about why you shouldn't bother, sort of like this:
Quote:
You wouldn't be satisfied with any answer i present. You'd just call me intellectually lazy for not writing an articulately crafted essay.
Or for contradicting yourself and not actually saying anything.

Quote:
You already have called me lazy once. I'm not projecting persecution, you're just easy to predict.
That'd be great if you were actually being persecuted. You projected this anxiety that I'd reject your answer out of hand because I don't want to believe, or because I think you're stupid, or because I think you're a "blind fool"--all things that I haven't actually said, but you've repeatedly insisted I'm saying, or implying, or at least thinking.

Quote:
My answer is simple and concise and if you follow me at all in the discussions on this forum you will see that I am clear about my beliefs and why. I'm not really sure what else you want from me.
Okay, so I went back to your first wall of text and found your reason.

Quote:
I believe in God because i have all the "evidence" i need, be it in creation, circumstances in my own life that i CANNOT attribute to coincidence, or the love of God (written about in scriptures) i experience every day from my close friends and family, and even strangers that i've come across i know nothing about. I believe what the Bible says is true in it's entirety, succumbing to the notion that I'm NOT number 1 and i don't have it all figured out. I believe God sent His Son to die so that I may have life and God's wrath may be propitiated, that nothing I do can earn me a spot in heaven. Some of you will choose to not believe, many of you will choose not to believe. I'm not going to be the one to stand here and force God down your throat because that's not how we are called to love. I will say it's been the greatest experience of my life getting to know God and everything i have is because of Him.
I've really got to ask why after that you went on and on about how we wouldn't believe your answer if you told us. I guess it started when I read your use of the future indicative
Quote:
My answer WILL NOT be sufficient for most of you
and
Quote:
Like I said, my answer WILL NOT suffice for people like you
as the future indicative. My mistake

You didn't help the matter with phrases like
Quote:
It's more along the lines of "nothing you say is going to make a difference or change anyone's mind" so why bother trying.
So, getting back to your last post,
Quote:
It's not the one you're looking for because you're not convinced.
It's not the one I'm looking for because I never knew to look for it yet. I read your defeatist attitude of "why bother" at face value as resignation to not bothering.
Spoiler!

Last edited by davobrosia; 12-10-2010 at 01:25 AM.
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off