View Poll Results: Are you a feminist?
Yes 8 11.59%
No 47 68.12%
I don't understand feminism enough to decide 14 20.29%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Display Modes Thread Tools
NG
poo-tee-weet?
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via AIM to NG
12-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
Well when you look at it in that manner, it's really nothing more pressing than just a trivial sociological analysis.
Feminism is a social and political philosophy, but trivial? Please.

Quote:
Like I said, the people who may be unaware of the hard-wired "inequalities" in their minds are usually never the people who pay a woman 80 cents to a man's dollar.
First, you're basing that statement on nothing and are severely underestimating the depths that feminist critiques go to.

Quote:
In that respect, feminism in this day and age may simply be an after-thought, one that should be kept on reserve in case society has a small progressive hiccup and forgets where it's going.
And an afterthought? What good does it do to the social and political structure(s) and the social and political thinkers to look back after the fact of a "small progressive hiccup?"
Busy, busy, busy
NG
poo-tee-weet?
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
12-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyKaNe View Post
Women, for all of history (unless you want to bring up the ashanti tribe and whatnot), have been looked at as the less dominate species... All of a sudden all of history has been incorrect? I'm pretty sure there has been a reason women have been the less dominate species and even the early humans realize that. And as someone said earlier in the thread women aren't looked down as not equals they just have different positions in life.
Goddamnit Sykane, just leave.
Busy, busy, busy
dat status
whateva mang
Subtract from dat status's ReputationAdd to dat status's Reputation dat status IS OVER 9000 dat status IS OVER 9000 dat status IS OVER 9000 dat status IS OVER 9000 dat status IS OVER 9000 dat status IS OVER 9000 dat status IS OVER 9000 dat status IS OVER 9000 dat status IS OVER 9000
12-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
Goddamnit Sykane, just leave.
I resized this for you.
MsTkEyes
Pu$$yrich
Subtract from MsTkEyes's ReputationAdd to MsTkEyes's Reputation MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000
12-30-2008

Quote:
Pfft, go make a sandwich for NiceGuy's child.

(<3)

Funny, I have one on my desk already.
~up, up, up, up, up, up, up~

Cursed Lemon
Darren Helm's Bitch
Subtract from Cursed Lemon's ReputationAdd to Cursed Lemon's Reputation Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
12-30-2008

Quote:
Feminism is a social and political philosophy, but trivial? Please.

First, you're basing that statement on nothing and are severely underestimating the depths that feminist critiques go to.

And an afterthought? What good does it do to the social and political structure(s) and the social and political thinkers to look back after the fact of a "small progressive hiccup?"
Well maybe I'm underestimating the length to which these people are going to analyze things that normal people are completely oblivious to. The point I was making is that no crimes are being committed through these hidden subtleties - if you're looking at results, I don't think women could be happier about the way the past century has gone, and it's still getting better as time goes on.

The attitudes that "need to be changed" are changing. Feminism's job is being done, and as far as modern society as a whole is concerned, is nearly finished with its duties. If you're asking me to show some respect for the philosophers who first started the whole thing, then I can assure you that I have nothing but.

Elmo <3
Cursed Lemon
Darren Helm's Bitch
Subtract from Cursed Lemon's ReputationAdd to Cursed Lemon's Reputation Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
12-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTkEyes View Post
Funny, I have one on my desk already.
Is it a pickle and ice cream sandwich? :o

Elmo <3
MsTkEyes
Pu$$yrich
Subtract from MsTkEyes's ReputationAdd to MsTkEyes's Reputation MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000 MsTkEyes IS OVER 9000
12-30-2008

Quote:
Is it a pickle and ice cream sandwich? :o
Ew, no lol. I've never experienced anything weird so far. The "weirdest" I'll go is having to taste every single chip and cracker in our pantry until I find the right taste that I want.
~up, up, up, up, up, up, up~

NG
poo-tee-weet?
12-30-2008

Quote:
Well maybe I'm underestimating the length to which these people are going to analyze things that normal people are completely oblivious to.
The problem is that people are oblivious to them. It only does greater good to recognize these kinds of things.

Quote:
The point I was making is that no crimes are being committed through these hidden subtleties -
That's the same mindset people had that justified the social oppression of women.

Quote:
if you're looking at results, I don't think women could be happier about the way the past century has gone, and it's still getting better as time goes on.
Get it out of your head that feminists are angry at the world or society. And actually, feminism has taken on a new challenge in the way in which women are doing more damage than men.

Quote:
The attitudes that "need to be changed" are changing. Feminism's job is being done, and as far as modern society as a whole is concerned, is nearly finished with its duties. If you're asking me to show some respect for the philosophers who first started the whole thing, then I can assure you that I have nothing but.
Nearly finished? LOL.

I'll repeat this one more time: Feminism is a point of view. It's not something that has a goal set out for itself, it doesn't have any "finished" tasks. It's no different from realism or idealism. And last time I checked realism wasn't finishing any duties.
Busy, busy, busy
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
12-30-2008

Quote:
I'll repeat this one more time: Feminism is a point of view. It's not something that has a goal set out for itself, it doesn't have any "finished" tasks. It's no different from realism or idealism. And last time I checked realism wasn't finishing any duties.
I think his subtext is that, hey, what's the point in looking at things from anything but a patriarchal point of view these days?
Spoiler!
Cursed Lemon
Darren Helm's Bitch
12-30-2008

Quote:
The problem is that people are oblivious to them. It only does greater good to recognize these kinds of things.
And people are. There's nothing alarming about it.

Quote:
That's the same mindset people had that justified the social oppression of women.
I don't think so. lol

The mindset of a person who justifies the social oppression of women is that of a primitive caveman. A person who refers to a deist God as "he" is not a severe problem in society. If feminism has a problem with that, then it's just coming down to nitpicking.

Quote:
Get it out of your head that feminists are angry at the world or society. And actually, feminism has taken on a new challenge in the way in which women are doing more damage than men.
Angry? I don't know. But obviously feminism has some kind of relevance, according to you. And I would think that the basic definition of feminism is the viewpoint that the sexes are equal...although I start to question, then, why it is called "feminism" at all.

Quote:
Nearly finished? LOL.

There isn't much relevance to a particular point of view if it doesn't deal directly with a pressing societal issue. I can be concerned about the equality of Italians in society, should I be bringing up "Italianism" in philosophical works and discussing the issue like it has some kind of significance even though I'm pretty sure Italians are managing just fine?

Elmo <3