Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum

Display Modes Thread Tools
Colby
Level 29
Subtract from Colby's ReputationAdd to Colby's Reputation Colby is stuck in campaign mode
11-17-2008
Default Social Acceptance theory?

I don't know if one exists, but here is mine.

Human-beings compete for social acceptance by portraying themselves as subjects to be studied and observed by others. Continuesly plagued by the idea of misconception of ones self, they constantly change and update ones appearance based on their presumed understanding of society's views.

Influenced by Max Webers theory Human beings act on the basis of their own understanding of a subject.
Charlii
ALL I BLOW IS LOUD
Subtract from Charlii's ReputationAdd to Charlii's Reputation Charlii still downloads from Mythica Charlii still downloads from Mythica Charlii still downloads from Mythica Charlii still downloads from Mythica Charlii still downloads from Mythica Charlii still downloads from Mythica
11-17-2008

I agree, lol, I don't know what else to say other than I agree.
Newgy
Level 41
Subtract from Newgy's ReputationAdd to Newgy's Reputation Newgy is a novice
11-17-2008

What about the Symbolic Interactionism theory?

Quote:
Herbert Blumer (1969), who coined the term "symbolic interactionism," set out three basic premises of the perspective:

1. "Human beings act toward things on the basis of the meanings they ascribe to those things."
2. "The meaning of such things is derived from, or arises out of, the social interaction that one has with others and the society."
3. "These meanings are handled in, and modified through, an interpretive process used by the person in dealing with the things he/she encounters."

Blumer, following Mead, claimed that people interact with each other by interpret[ing] or 'defin[ing]' each other's actions instead of merely reacting to each other's actions. Their 'response' is not made directly to the actions of one another but instead is based on the meaning which they attach to such actions. Thus, human interaction is mediated by the use of symbols and signification, by interpretation, or by ascertaining the meaning of one another's actions (Blumer 1962). Blumer contrasted this process, which he called "symbolic interaction," with behaviorist explanations of human behavior, which don't allow for interpretation between stimulus and response.

Symbolic interactionist researchers investigate how people create meaning during social interaction, how they present and construct the self (or "identity"), and how they define situations of co-presence with others. One of the perspective's central ideas is that people act as they do because of how they define situations.

This approach is also applied to the sociology of health and illness.
I think that this is much more relevant than just "trying to fit in"

S t o p . T h i n k . P o s t .