Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum

Display Modes Thread Tools
slater ohm
MovieCompMovieCompMovieCo
Subtract from slater ohm's ReputationAdd to slater ohm's Reputation slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to slater ohm
09-15-2008

we use so much wrapping material these days, it's fkn crazy, to get to my cracker I need to open 3 plastic baggy things and there's some cardboard stuck it there aswell.
shits gonna have no place to go at some point.

THF

Halo 2 videos
Ohmage | Ohmega | Blue sky | Dual | Post Fin | Fash Late
NG
poo-tee-weet?
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via AIM to NG
09-15-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderlyjam View Post
but didnt Plato have a bit more radical view of governing? where the philosophers ruled and everyone else that could not see into "the world of forms" was a lowly peon? im an idiot i dont know
Plato's ideal society portrayed in The Republic did have a class like what you're talking about, but there's a lot more to it. There were three classes, The Guardians who were the rulers, Soldiers, and Producers (artisans). Each was determined by your natural virtue - either wisdom, courage, or temperance. This virtue determines what you're best suited for and what you are meant to do (and will do). But in order to keep these natures from being corrupted by one's environment (socially) and other forms of nurture, babies were taken under the care of the Guardians who monitored them for a number of years and determined which skill and virtue they fit with by their behaviors, natural interests, talent, etc. It was like a nursery where they learn things through objective exposure.
Busy, busy, busy
CitizenZenSin
Level 28
Subtract from CitizenZenSin's ReputationAdd to CitizenZenSin's Reputation CitizenZenSin is a novice
09-15-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
Plato's ideal society portrayed in The Republic did have a class like what you're talking about, but there's a lot more to it. There were three classes, The Guardians who were the rulers, Soldiers, and Producers (artisans). Each was determined by your natural virtue - either wisdom, courage, or temperance. This virtue determines what you're best suited for and what you are meant to do (and will do). But in order to keep these natures from being corrupted by one's environment (socially) and other forms of nurture, babies were taken under the care of the Guardians who monitored them for a number of years and determined which skill and virtue they fit with by their behaviors, natural interests, talent, etc. It was like a nursery where they learn things through objective exposure.
So does this relate to our current society at all. Or was it a metaphor for some other philosophical meme.

Why aren't there any pics of the garbage patch? Is it a gov't cover-up or what? This needs to be stopped before it causes irreprable damage to the pacific. Pics would get ppl motivated i think.

I got featured on Insider Moves on Inside Xbox this week
NG
poo-tee-weet?
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
09-16-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenZenSin View Post
So does this relate to our current society at all. Or was it a metaphor for some other philosophical meme.
I think so, but that's a whole other discussion.

Quote:
Why aren't there any pics of the garbage patch? Is it a gov't cover-up or what? This needs to be stopped before it causes irreprable damage to the pacific. Pics would get ppl motivated i think.
I'm really curious about that. I have read that there are no pictures, as in from satellite, because it's always mobile; I think a person trying to take a picture of a mass of plastic might be equally concerned not to become part of it.

Pictures always pull at people's heartstrings. It's cruel, but effective.
Busy, busy, busy
tom31deecc FTW
Level 32
Subtract from tom31deecc FTW's ReputationAdd to tom31deecc FTW's Reputation tom31deecc FTW is a novice
Send a message via AIM to tom31deecc FTW Send a message via MSN to tom31deecc FTW
09-16-2008

Nope, it's not what you guys think. It's basically all shredded up plastic which like floats around just under the surface. However, that actually makes the problem worse. Unless billions and billions were invested, it's gonna stay there. The only thing we can do really is to recycle our plastics, because it's virtually become half the Pacifics composition.
NG
poo-tee-weet?
09-16-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom31deecc FTW View Post
Nope, it's not what you guys think. It's basically all shredded up plastic which like floats around just under the surface. However, that actually makes the problem worse. Unless billions and billions were invested, it's gonna stay there. The only thing we can do really is to recycle our plastics, because it's virtually become half the Pacifics composition.
That's right. Little sealife feed on those tiny tiny pieces. Sad
Busy, busy, busy
JCAbernathy
Level 29
Subtract from JCAbernathy's ReputationAdd to JCAbernathy's Reputation JCAbernathy is a novice
09-16-2008

Whales will evolve not to sift through to eat Plankton anymore... they will sift the sea to eat shards of plastic. Ahh how evolution is marvelous!

tom31deecc FTW
Level 32
Subtract from tom31deecc FTW's ReputationAdd to tom31deecc FTW's Reputation tom31deecc FTW is a novice
Send a message via AIM to tom31deecc FTW Send a message via MSN to tom31deecc FTW
09-16-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAbernathy View Post
Whales will evolve not to sift through to eat Plankton anymore... they will sift the sea to eat shards of plastic. Ahh how evolution is marvelous!
I seriously doubt it. They'd move geographically before they even start to form some kind of plastic digesting enzyme. And even then, that would need a lot more changes. Bacteria would be fine, though.
JCAbernathy
Level 29
Subtract from JCAbernathy's ReputationAdd to JCAbernathy's Reputation JCAbernathy is a novice
09-16-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom31deecc FTW View Post
I seriously doubt it. They'd move geographically before they even start to form some kind of plastic digesting enzyme. And even then, that would need a lot more changes. Bacteria would be fine, though.

I know man :P I was being facetious.

Cheehwawa
Level 14
Subtract from Cheehwawa's ReputationAdd to Cheehwawa's Reputation Cheehwawa is a novice
09-16-2008

We need to send it to the Sun
Or the Moon

Or Bette Midler
GAMERTAG: Cheehwawa
Add me for customs. I play all kinds, from MLG to Tremors to Infection.

Fileshare: Linkage
Check out and rate my files, please!