Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum

Display Modes Thread Tools
Darkid X
Level 20
Subtract from Darkid X's ReputationAdd to Darkid X's Reputation Darkid X is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Darkid X
09-04-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormaster View Post
Anti-matter and dark matter are two entirely different things....

Edit: you guys are freaking out about this for no reason at all. The odds that it will create a black hole is EXTREMELY small and even if it did, the most likely scenario is that it will be an unstable black hole and deteriorate before it can gain enough mass to become stable. That website didnt work, but i doubt it was correct anyway. The only thing they are trying to figure out is whether or not the higgs-boson particle exists or not. The higgs-boson is the last particle that is predicted from the big-bang that we have not discovered because it is extremely heavy and broke down soon after the big-bang. If they do not detect the higgs-boson then the big-bang theory is not correct and we have to start from scratch.

double edit: Let me know if you want me to explain anti-matter, its pretty cool.
an chance is a chance dude, i think anything that shows any threat to existence shouldn't be messed with what so ever.

btw being ripped into billions of pieces isn't my exact way i'd like to have my death.

Last edited by Darkid X; 09-04-2008 at 02:43 AM.
xILukasIx
Level 17
Subtract from xILukasIx's ReputationAdd to xILukasIx's Reputation xILukasIx is on the rise to fame xILukasIx is on the rise to fame
Send a message via Skype™ to xILukasIx
09-04-2008

Hawking Radiation hasn't been proved at all and they don't know how to prove it.
Well, I like the idea of creating strangelets lol.
We would all be dead then. And so would the universe be.

Also, you're right, the earth gets hit by high energy cosmic rays all the time.
Some scientists think that they DO create mini black holes all the time, but since they are so fast, they just fly through the earth and interact with like an atom while doing that.
In the LHC however, the rays collide with the same speed and they cancel themselves out. (particle with 99.999% of the speed of light hits a particle with the same speed, but in the other direction.)
When cosmic rays collide with particles from the earth, it's like 300,000m/s hit a particle with ~0m/s. The created black hole (if real) would have a really high speed then.

So if the LHC creates a black hole, it could either evaporate (Hawkings), or it would settle down itself in the middle of the earth and interact with more and more atoms.
But since it would be 1/1000th the size of a proton (they expect it to be that big), it would have to travel 200 kilometers through the earth to interact with ONE nucleus. (If you take the earth as a big ball made of iron, 8000kg/m, do the math)
(They think that the mass of the black hole will be about 10^-27kg, with an (I'll call it like that now) area it can interact with other particles of 10^-36m.)
Tormaster
Level 24
Subtract from Tormaster's ReputationAdd to Tormaster's Reputation Tormaster is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Tormaster Send a message via MSN to Tormaster
09-04-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkid X View Post
an chance is a chance dude, i think anything that shows any threat to existence shouldn't be messed with what so ever.

btw being ripped into billions of pieces isn't my exact way i'd like to have my death.
It should be chanced if the outcome could be one of the greatest scientific discoveries in a very long time and if the chance is small enough, which it is. I dont think you understand how miniscule the chance really is, I could even go so far as to say that it is virtually impossible. The scientists working on this have all been working on particle accelerators for years and have done all the math involved, calculated the risks, and taken all the necassary precautions. Stop being so damn paraniod.

GT: torwizzle

add for customs and all that crap.
robyniscool
Level 28
Subtract from robyniscool's ReputationAdd to robyniscool's Reputation robyniscool is a novice
Send a message via MSN to robyniscool
09-04-2008

All they have left to do is hire a scientist named "Gordon Freeman" and rename the facility to "Black Mesa".

If they created a black hole it would disentegrate faster than you could blink, and if it didnt... well, you would die faster than instantly.

Add for FFA Customs
xILukasIx
Level 17
Subtract from xILukasIx's ReputationAdd to xILukasIx's Reputation xILukasIx is on the rise to fame xILukasIx is on the rise to fame
09-04-2008

If a black hole gets created and it does not evaporize or however you want to call it, we'll be able to see that there is one about 10 minutes before we're all gone.
And that won't be earlier than in 3 years
You gotta read and watch more videos and interviews of scientists that work there.
They tell you pretty much

EDIT: Thats because it starts off really, and I mean REALLY, small. It gets bigger exponentially then. But that will take some time.

EDIT 2: Oh, someone was taliking about WHY they have suck an almost perfect vacuum in the LHC.
Well, just imagine the proton beam colliding with a random atom flying around in the pipe.
That would be the WORST case at all. That would not only destroy the LHC, but maybe other stuff too.
They need that much time to test the LHC, because they have to get the beams collide EXACLTY in the detectors (Atlas, Alice, CMS and another one I don't know the name of now).
They are made for that.
100 million billion degrees celsius... Imagine THAT temperature!

Last edited by xILukasIx; 09-04-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Tormaster
Level 24
Subtract from Tormaster's ReputationAdd to Tormaster's Reputation Tormaster is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Tormaster Send a message via MSN to Tormaster
09-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2S I Lukas View Post
EDIT 2: Oh, someone was taliking about WHY they have suck an almost perfect vacuum in the LHC.
Well, just imagine the proton beam colliding with a random atom flying around in the pipe.
That would be the WORST case at all. That would not only destroy the LHC, but maybe other stuff too.
They need that much time to test the LHC, because they have to get the beams collide EXACLTY in the detectors (Atlas, Alice, CMS and another one I don't know the name of now).
They are made for that.
100 million billion degrees celsius... Imagine THAT temperature!
They are colliding protons and anti-protons, so if it wasn't a perfect vacuum it would fail everytime.

GT: torwizzle

add for customs and all that crap.
Trav
Dum Vivimus Vivamus
Subtract from Trav's ReputationAdd to Trav's Reputation Trav IS OVER 9000 Trav IS OVER 9000 Trav IS OVER 9000 Trav IS OVER 9000 Trav IS OVER 9000 Trav IS OVER 9000 Trav IS OVER 9000
09-05-2008

That black hole display was pretty fucking freaky.

I don't want to be sucked in to a vacuum and squished to death.

Q_Q
I always thought there'd be time; turns out there's just roads.
NoK
Downloading
Subtract from NoK's ReputationAdd to NoK's Reputation NoK is on the rise to fame NoK is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to NoK Send a message via MSN to NoK Send a message via Skype™ to NoK
09-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshed View Post
That black hole display was pretty fucking freaky.

I don't want to be sucked in to a vacuum and squished to death.

Q_Q
I read a book on black holes, one interesting thing about them is, if you ever encounter one, you won't feel anything. You'll die, sure, but it'll be 100% painless.
PSN: SimplyKlug
Twitter
xILukasIx
Level 17
09-09-2008

Tomorrow everything starts
I'm pretty exited
tom31deecc FTW
Level 32
Subtract from tom31deecc FTW's ReputationAdd to tom31deecc FTW's Reputation tom31deecc FTW is a novice
Send a message via AIM to tom31deecc FTW Send a message via MSN to tom31deecc FTW
09-09-2008

Only a test is happening tomorrow, not the actual experiment.