Halo 2 Forum > Halo Franchise > Halo Videos > Creators Platform

Display Modes Thread Tools
FrothySoma
Level 25
Subtract from FrothySoma's ReputationAdd to FrothySoma's Reputation FrothySoma is osageballin' FrothySoma is osageballin' FrothySoma is osageballin' FrothySoma is osageballin' FrothySoma is osageballin' FrothySoma is osageballin' FrothySoma is osageballin'
11-04-2014
Default Want to capture xbone gameplay real time but can't afford capture card?

**DISCLAIMER**
The video quality obtained from this method depends largely on your internet connection. Don't expect to get the quality that you would get from a capture card. But, if you just want to record things for fun, you aren't too worried about excellent video quality, and don't want to buy a capture card, you've come to the right place.

I'm not claiming to be a trailblazer or anything, as I'm sure a few of you are already aware of this method of capture. This method broadcasts your gameplay to twitch, where your computer records the video.

First, a little about twitch and its quality: The video quality of twitch streams is dependent upon the upload bitrate of the streamer and the download speed of the viewer. Keep this in mind.

Step one: Download the twitch app onto your xbone, make an account, and set up the broadcast feature on your xbox.

Step two: There are two programs you will need to download onto your computer. VLC Player will do the actual recording of the stream, and the livestreamer program will circumvent the twitch website and allow to access the stream at its source quality (read: best quality possible, better than the twitch website, oftentimes).
VLC Link:http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
Livestreamer Link: https://github.com/chrippa/livestreamer/releases

Step three: Install VLC and Livestreamer.

Step four: On your desktop create a new text document. Immediately save it as "start.bat" but DON'T SAVE AS A TEXT DOCUMENT. Save it as "all files".

Step five: Right click the start.bat file and select edit. On the first line, enter in "livestreamer [twitch.tv URL link that you created for your account, leave out http://] source" without quotes.
As an example, the start.bat file for my stream is:
"livestreamer twitch.tv/FrothySoma source" without quotes.
If, for some reason you want lower quality, you can replace "source" with high, medium or low.
Also, for some people it seems to only work if the http:// is included in the URL. Not sure why.
Now, Save your .bat file and exit.

Step six: Start your streaming on your xbox and give it a minute or two to register on twitch. Go to twitch.tv to test and make sure your stream is up and running.

Step seven: Double click your start.bat. VLC Player should open up. In VLC Player, go to View and make sure advanced controls is selected. Now a record button should appear near the bottom.

Step eight: Click record and that's all there is to it! Your video files will default to your "My Documents" folder. I haven't figured out how to change the destination yet, but will update OP if I do.
EDIT: http://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/...eam_using_vlc/ To change the directory you record to, with VLC open, go to tools > preferences > Input/codecs. Go to record directory or file name and select your directory, and hit save!

Seems daunting, but really it takes less than 10 minutes to set up!
About quality: Since you're recording from the source quality from twitch, the quality is as good as your internet can upload. Personally, I'm very happy with the quality I can record. You can control your upload bitrate through twitches settings. Here's a video of me getting my ass kicked in a random Destiny game, captured using this method:

And some halo:

**VIDEO DISCLAIMER**
I recorded this at 720p, because that's the best that my TV can handle. If someone else can make a video with 1080p I'll gladly replace this video with that.

I'm aware the xbox has its own recording feature (xbox record that!) but this method doesn't interrupt gameplay whatsoever, so I prefer it greatly. Not to mention the fact that the videos are convienently already stored on my laptop.

Post in this thread with any questions or comments you have! I'll do my best to answer promptly, Eamonn is also knowledgeable and can answer questions too!

Last edited by FrothySoma; 12-05-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Zeus Is Godly
The Sky is still Falling
Subtract from Zeus Is Godly's ReputationAdd to Zeus Is Godly's Reputation Zeus Is Godly IS OVER 9000 Zeus Is Godly IS OVER 9000 Zeus Is Godly IS OVER 9000 Zeus Is Godly IS OVER 9000 Zeus Is Godly IS OVER 9000 Zeus Is Godly IS OVER 9000 Zeus Is Godly IS OVER 9000 Zeus Is Godly IS OVER 9000 Zeus Is Godly IS OVER 9000 Zeus Is Godly IS OVER 9000 Zeus Is Godly IS OVER 9000
11-04-2014

GOAT Post, any videos of the quality on youtube?
FrothySoma
Level 25
Subtract from FrothySoma's ReputationAdd to FrothySoma's Reputation FrothySoma is osageballin' FrothySoma is osageballin' FrothySoma is osageballin' FrothySoma is osageballin' FrothySoma is osageballin' FrothySoma is osageballin' FrothySoma is osageballin'
11-04-2014

Not that I've seen, but I can capture and upload a game of destiny or something if you guys are interested!
Titanium
an attractive implication
Subtract from Titanium's ReputationAdd to Titanium's Reputation Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000 Titanium IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Titanium
11-04-2014

awesome write up man. this will help a lot of people! I really like recording my own gaemplay and being in control of the quality, and I don't mind spending $75 for a cc, so I bought a hauppauge, but this is definitely a good idea for those who are short on money at the moment or are looking for something simpler

AIM: Eh titanium

slater ohm
MovieCompMovieCompMovieCo
Subtract from slater ohm's ReputationAdd to slater ohm's Reputation slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000 slater ohm IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to slater ohm
11-04-2014

Nice, will keep an eye on this and sticky it if people feel its nice enough quality.

THF

Halo 2 videos
Ohmage | Ohmega | Blue sky | Dual | Post Fin | Fash Late
Zeus Is Godly
The Sky is still Falling
Subtract from Zeus Is Godly's ReputationAdd to Zeus Is Godly's Reputation Zeus Is Godly IS OVER 9000 Zeus Is Godly IS OVER 9000 Zeus Is Godly IS OVER 9000 Zeus Is Godly IS OVER 9000 Zeus Is Godly IS OVER 9000 Zeus Is Godly IS OVER 9000 Zeus Is Godly IS OVER 9000 Zeus Is Godly IS OVER 9000 Zeus Is Godly IS OVER 9000 Zeus Is Godly IS OVER 9000 Zeus Is Godly IS OVER 9000
11-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrothySoma View Post
Not that I've seen, but I can capture and upload a game of destiny or something if you guys are interested!
yeah, would be cool
FrothySoma
Level 25
11-04-2014

Zeus, I updated the OP with a video of random Destiny gameplay that I just capped!
Faint
Level 43
Subtract from Faint's ReputationAdd to Faint's Reputation Faint IS OVER 9000 Faint IS OVER 9000 Faint IS OVER 9000 Faint IS OVER 9000 Faint IS OVER 9000 Faint IS OVER 9000 Faint IS OVER 9000 Faint IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Faint Send a message via MSN to Faint
11-04-2014

What is the bitrate for that video?
FrothySoma
Level 25
11-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faint View Post
What is the bitrate for that video?
I was streaming with a 2500kbps bitrate.
Wanny
Top Tier Director
Subtract from Wanny's ReputationAdd to Wanny's Reputation Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000 Wanny IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Wanny
11-04-2014

Great post man. I have a cc already, but this seems like an awesome solution to people w/o.