Halo 2 Forum > Halo Franchise > Halo Videos > THF Movie Competition 2010
View Poll Results: Which videos deserve to advance?
"Dutchy Montage 2" - Edited by ExuS 141 59.24%
"Roadblock's Final Montage" - Edited by Backfire 96 40.34%
"Contractus" - Edited by Nv1ncible 97 40.76%
"Frenetic Array" - Edited by Mattisson 84 35.29%
"Black Box" - Edited by s0r3 82 34.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Display Modes Thread Tools
PackieIX
Empathy Overload
Subtract from PackieIX's ReputationAdd to PackieIX's Reputation PackieIX IS OVER 9000 PackieIX IS OVER 9000 PackieIX IS OVER 9000 PackieIX IS OVER 9000 PackieIX IS OVER 9000 PackieIX IS OVER 9000 PackieIX IS OVER 9000 PackieIX IS OVER 9000 PackieIX IS OVER 9000 PackieIX IS OVER 9000 PackieIX IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to PackieIX
08-27-2010

Lol @ this thread. I can just imagine a half a dozen or so people raging wand breaking sh.t on there computer desk, lol. God, you should have to video yourself posting if you use capslock in the post.

EDIT -
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReCoiL954 View Post
dont talk sh.t about wanny
DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT TOTAL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davobrosia View Post

Edit: No penises. Not even clipart versions.
- Nv1

ReCoiL954
Level 17
Subtract from ReCoiL954's ReputationAdd to ReCoiL954's Reputation ReCoiL954 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to ReCoiL954
08-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackieIX View Post
Lol @ this thread. I can just imagine a half a dozen or so people raging wand breaking sh.t on there computer desk, lol. God, you should have to video yourself posting if you use capslock in the post.

EDIT -

DON'T TALK sh.t ABOUT TOTAL!
Lmao the funny thing is I was thinking about editing a picture of that putting Wanny instead of total but im to lazy
KayEmX
c++
Subtract from KayEmX's ReputationAdd to KayEmX's Reputation KayEmX is osageballin' KayEmX is osageballin' KayEmX is osageballin' KayEmX is osageballin' KayEmX is osageballin' KayEmX is osageballin' KayEmX is osageballin'
Send a message via AIM to KayEmX Send a message via Skype™ to KayEmX
08-27-2010

i haven't read this thread at all, so forgive me if this has already been brought up, but...

how the fuck is roadblock in the top 5

NickV
THF VIP Member
Subtract from NickV's ReputationAdd to NickV's Reputation NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000
08-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helvirahel View Post
I find it funny that everyone is knocking on Mattisson for saying what he thinks, all the while forgetting the whole "Not his first language" thing. Face it, people tend to be more direct and sound more doucheish when they're not speaking their first language.

On the other hand, I agree that the editing is too simple with the other two montages. He put a hell of a lot of effort into his montage, whereas to be honest those other two feel like the editor didn't do much at all. This is a Halo 3 MOVIE competition, not a gameplay competition. I think that got forgotten somewhere along the way.

After reading all the threads along the way, I'd say that the majority of fanboys in this competition are anti-Fray ones. Omg, they're not pro, they're Australian, blah blah blah.
It's also not a "most effort" competition.

pTw, I agree with you, but you have to know that a montage with alot of effort can still be less enjoyable than a montage with almost no effort. The most enjoyable montage should win here, nothing else. It's like saying Avatar is better than Shawshank Redemption.

Don't get me wrong now, I voted for Fray over Roadblock, but still you have to respect other people's opinions.
RIP EvilLilElmo

Married to terv
ExuS
【=◈︿◈=】
Subtract from ExuS's ReputationAdd to ExuS's Reputation ExuS is on the rise to fame ExuS is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to ExuS
08-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standards View Post
Yea cause exus didnt use Form 10x more genericly on construct
Gimme one montage which used a text as a displacement map and also did anything with the HUD as I did. Come on, hit me.

You're talking about effects as if every montage needs to have a new plug-in or some sh.t. It's not all about that, it's also about taking the current effects in the toolbox and taking it to new heights.

Eamonn
dwightdwightdwightdwight
Subtract from Eamonn's ReputationAdd to Eamonn's Reputation Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000
Send a message via Skype™ to Eamonn
08-28-2010

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
agreed on the effects thing. Theres some awesome quote someone posted awhile ago about that.
KayEmX
c++
Subtract from KayEmX's ReputationAdd to KayEmX's Reputation KayEmX is osageballin' KayEmX is osageballin' KayEmX is osageballin' KayEmX is osageballin' KayEmX is osageballin' KayEmX is osageballin' KayEmX is osageballin'
Send a message via AIM to KayEmX Send a message via Skype™ to KayEmX
08-28-2010

Someone should check the IP's voting, what if Backfire/Roadblock are cheating :O

pTw
Level 28
Subtract from pTw's ReputationAdd to pTw's Reputation pTw wears a live rattlesnake as a condom pTw wears a live rattlesnake as a condom pTw wears a live rattlesnake as a condom pTw wears a live rattlesnake as a condom pTw wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
08-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGTaLiTy View Post
You are completely convinced that other people are required to like your video based on how much editing work it took. It's almost as if you feel justifiably entitled to it, as if subjectivity does not exist in entertainment and your preference on editing is the correct preference.
Subjectivity in entertainment doesn't exist when one video BLATANTLY ignores all aspects of video making, which according to you is "translucent editing."

Let me rate roadblock's vid TMV style for ya:
Creativity: 2 - cuz it used a rap song
Content: 9 - great footage
Editing: 5 - Not much to judge
Soundtrack: 5 - just cuz I like eminem, but this song doesn't belong in a tage, just listen to the lyrics...
Quality: 10 - just for kicks I give it a 10
That's an overall score of 31/50 which is a 6.2...

Quote:
You are also completely convinced that the editing component of video making is not in the same league as the gameplay component of montage making. The important of editing vs footage is subjective, not objective. You really need to lose the editing ego-trip; editing may require more work and less "fun time" then obtaining footage, but at the end of the day, both are equally critical, and equally capable of creating an awesome video on its own.
Editing is not capable of creating an awesome halo related video without any kind of halo related content. halo related content is already a form of media so it can provide entertainment right off the bat, but it is very limited unless editing comes into play. Editing comes in and distorts/shapes it into the image/vision of it's creator, so when you get a video that has a lot of thought and effort into it, you get a movie and not clips on a timeline. Do you understand? Of course you do, you already understood this a couple posts back but you wont drop the front. A great example of this is Single Gaming 3, a video that features an amazing array of frags, to a unique storyline that captures the viewer and makes them believe what they are watching is more than just clips on a timeline, but at the same time maintains/enhances the footage. GP gets old, editing is unique and can be expressed in an infinite amount of ways, this is why the combination of GP(or media) is accompanied by editing(creativity), to create something deeper and to give the media more meaning than it has...to be CLEAR editing is not more important than GP, but GP alone does not make for a better video than GP + editing.

Quote:
In entertainment, what you prioritize over the other is nothing more than personal preference; the only wrong answer is the one who claims his answer is correct in an absolute sense. That's what you are doing right now. It's time to grow up and respect other people who have released something successful, regardless of if you agree with those who embrace it. Roadblock's success isn't teaching people to create "bad" videos because it's not a bad video in the first place. If anything, it's teaching people how powerful gameplay can be. Apex did that, and I suppose we needed a reminder.
I never said it was a bad video, you're turning what I'm saying into something subjective by misinterpreting what I'm saying. The fact of the matter is that RB's video lacks effort, and having it in the top 3 shows people in this community that you don't need to put effort into your work to feel appraised, which is a terrible thing to advocate, but you seem to be completely ok with it because you like to argue for the sake of arguing...which is really annoying. A video that lacks effort being given recognition and shown approval advocates lack of effort...it doesn't show us how powerful gameplay can be, we already know how powerful it can be, the damn game's been out for 3 years, we've all seen our fair share of vids like Roadblock's, and you'd be a fool to argue that Roadblock's GP with SG3's storyline and editing wouldn't make a better video than Roadblock's GP with no storyline or editing. Jeeeeeeeeez.

Quote:
You're being very closed-minded and condescending right now. I believe the very nature of competitions bring out the worst in people, because this is not the pTw I know.
lol wtf
Eamonn
dwightdwightdwightdwight
Subtract from Eamonn's ReputationAdd to Eamonn's Reputation Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000
Send a message via Skype™ to Eamonn
08-28-2010

ptw long story short.

Just because it didnt have lots of work put into it doesnt mean it cant be as good as videos with lots of work put into it. and vice versa. There is lots of really good videos that have lots of work put into them. Roadblock is just one of those really good ones with barely any work put into it.

you are pretty much saying H3F is retarded by your post, which is sorta true but they are the people that are voting and clearly they liked roadblock enough to give it more votes than frenetic array.
Kottiz
Level 33
Subtract from Kottiz's ReputationAdd to Kottiz's Reputation Kottiz is a novice
08-28-2010

I think LBYL3 should be in here.

Is it just me?