Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Complete Off-Topic > Movies & Television

Display Modes Thread Tools
Sec0nd
Level 32
Subtract from Sec0nd's ReputationAdd to Sec0nd's Reputation Sec0nd is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Sec0nd
03-16-2010

I thought it was great but the pacing was a bit too high. I think I would have preferred it a tad slower but still was awesome. One thing that did bothered me though was that they already appeared to be battle hardened soldiers while in BoB they were all rookies and 'pussies' the first few episodes.
Midpoint
Level 40
Subtract from Midpoint's ReputationAdd to Midpoint's Reputation Midpoint is legendary Midpoint is legendary Midpoint is legendary
Send a message via AIM to Midpoint
03-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyVertan View Post
*Writing this as I watch*

Something new that I've rarely ever seen or heard comes up when he finds the picture of the Japanese Soldier's family. He burns the photo, but it is clear that is has an effect on him. Sympathizing with the enemy and acknowledging that the Japanese were people just like us is something very rare, in my learnings.
Same here - though I dont know a ton about it.

I once read that to posess the ability to cause atrocities to the Japanese they would often take a sub-human perspective of them (like many warring ethnicities take towards others), but that it was openly encouraged by the military to the point of sickening. They actually had to pull back because of how out of hand it got - soldiers developed the practice of keeping the body parts of the slain enemy as trinkets and souveniers.

In one instance a soldier kept a Japanese hand for so long that its smell became offensive, and his superior officer ordered him to dispose of it. To which he replied "How many soldiers do you think this hand pulled the trigger on" (it was something along those lines - I cant remember the event word for word).

Anyways it was noted in one article I read that it was alot easier to mentally dismiss the the Japanese as animals than the Germans, simply because of their appearance. Thus making it easier to be cruel to "the little brown Jap."

Just a memory I had from about 12 years ago.
CraftyVertan
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from CraftyVertan's ReputationAdd to CraftyVertan's Reputation CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000
03-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpoint View Post
Anyways it was noted in one article I read that it was alot easier to mentally dismiss the the Japanese as animals than the Germans, simply because of their appearance. Thus making it easier to be cruel to "the little brown Jap."
Exactly right. The "Krauts" only really spoke different, and didn't really look different. The Japanese clearly look different than Amreicans, as well as speak a different language, and their whole culture and lifestyle is different, so it wasn't hard to consider them a different species.

"im pretty sure when i said, was because its the same word. not a different word. then the meaning's of the word... but okay"
freak
#1 butt eater™
Subtract from freak's ReputationAdd to freak's Reputation freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000 freak IS OVER 9000
03-16-2010

I liked it. The only thing that I'm not fully sure on is who the main guys that the story will be following is. I kinda know who they are but it's harder to tell when they don't put a label on them like they did in Band Of Brothers.
CraftyVertan
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from CraftyVertan's ReputationAdd to CraftyVertan's Reputation CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000
03-21-2010

I will definitely watch this every week, but I have to say that this is not as captivating as Band of Brothers. I really hope the direction and writing take a leap forward in the near future.

I just didn't see a point made in tonight's episode. Just, kind of, a filler. I don't know what to think.

"im pretty sure when i said, was because its the same word. not a different word. then the meaning's of the word... but okay"
Sec0nd
Level 32
Subtract from Sec0nd's ReputationAdd to Sec0nd's Reputation Sec0nd is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Sec0nd
03-23-2010

I'm really enjoying this show so far but in no way can it be compared to Band of Brothers which is far superior. I'm really struggling with who's who. Especially during the night fights.
wingless
delirious
Subtract from wingless's ReputationAdd to wingless's Reputation wingless IS OVER 9000 wingless IS OVER 9000 wingless IS OVER 9000 wingless IS OVER 9000 wingless IS OVER 9000 wingless IS OVER 9000 wingless IS OVER 9000 wingless IS OVER 9000 wingless IS OVER 9000 wingless IS OVER 9000 wingless IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to wingless
03-23-2010

I need to get on this show, heard a ton of good things about it.
Prowl
Amazingly Randy
Subtract from Prowl's ReputationAdd to Prowl's Reputation Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary
03-28-2010

All of those Aussie chicks were hot as f.ck.
Lehrke
Spaaaaacceeee
Subtract from Lehrke's ReputationAdd to Lehrke's Reputation Lehrke is a novice
03-29-2010

My parents better be recording this so I can see it when I'm home. If not, I'm DL all the episodes so far from PTP after this weekend.
CraftyVertan
Ask Z for $50
04-18-2010

Bah, forgot about this thread.

I am beginning to like this show more and more, as I start to look at it in a different way than BoB. It is a different series, so I shouldn't look for the same things.