Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > General Gaming

Display Modes Thread Tools
QuiGz
Kaze Ni Nare
Subtract from QuiGz's ReputationAdd to QuiGz's Reputation QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to QuiGz Send a message via Skype™ to QuiGz
06-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siarnaq View Post
I'm sorry, but modern FPS games weren't good to begin with. Saying that it made "FPS better" isn't that strong of an argument according to me. I'm sure there are folks out there that enjoy it.. but they said something entirely different when the game was still in development.
In fact I am fairly certain they didn't say "So here we have Borderlands and we slapped a decent modern FPS on to it".

Another thing is that an FPS in my eyes needs to be able to have a strong competitive side. How that is going to work with the powerups and such is something I have a hard time imagining.
With probably 250 hours into BL2 at this point, I think I would be able to tell you if it was "Borderlands 2 with a decent modern FPS slapped onto it". They're two very different beasts. But you're so sure that this is the case so I'm just going to leave this alone, think what you want.

I don't have a hard time seeing it at all. Unless you forgot all the customization options we've had in halo since H3. I don't see the Supecharges as a negative at all. Two of them are one time use attacks, basically, and the other is a 3 shot/15 second equivalent of the binary rifle but in the form of a pistol. I imagine they'll take the third one out in competitive play, but they did a fantastic job with balancing it for multiplayer. They've said they're going to make it into a competitive FPS, and for the first time in my life I believe Bungie. They've stripped down a lot of the excess shit in the game and it's pretty much the bare minimum, your guns and supercharges, that's it. The kill times are slightly below halo so you still have to have good aim to be successful. They're more than on the right track with this game, but if you're going to judge the game on just watching a stream and be so confident that it's something it's not, then I won't stop you.
Siarnaq
The Endless Obsession.
Subtract from Siarnaq's ReputationAdd to Siarnaq's Reputation Siarnaq is legendary Siarnaq is legendary Siarnaq is legendary
06-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klima View Post
A "Borderlands MMORPG "is something new though. And this game will be so "huge". I consider it groundbreaking when I look at the technical side of it.

But yeah, it is really similar to Borderlands by the looks of it, but that isn't a bad thing, is it?

EDIT: Blitzy is a fool.
Sure, the MMORPG aspect of it is new, the core concept is well revisited already.

And I don't know, I wouldn't necessarily say it's bad but I kind of wanted to see them going in a more distinct direction. It's just the aspect that it's so similar to a game I've played to death from what I've seen that kind of deters me a bit.
When they first started releasing information about it, I just expected something different from what I've been shown thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGz
With probably 250 hours into BL2 at this point, I think I would be able to tell you if it was "Borderlands 2 with a decent modern FPS slapped onto it". They're two very different beasts. But you're so sure that this is the case so I'm just going to leave this alone, think what you want.

I don't have a hard time seeing it at all. Unless you forgot all the customization options we've had in halo since H3. I don't see the Supecharges as a negative at all. Two of them are one time use attacks, basically, and the other is a 3 shot/15 second equivalent of the binary rifle but in the form of a pistol. I imagine they'll take the third one out in competitive play, but they did a fantastic job with balancing it for multiplayer. They've said they're going to make it into a competitive FPS, and for the first time in my life I believe Bungie. They've stripped down a lot of the excess shit in the game and it's pretty much the bare minimum, your guns and supercharges, that's it. The kill times are slightly below halo so you still have to have good aim to be successful. They're more than on the right track with this game, but if you're going to judge the game on just watching a stream and be so confident that it's something it's not, then I won't stop you.
I've currently got around 680 hours in BL1 and over 1200 in BL2 playing with friends. People experience things differently so your 250 hours of BL2 doesn't really account for much in this discussion, nothing personal.

The Revolver is a one-shot gun with splash damage from what I've seen. Please tell me how that would fair in a competitive FPS when in the hands of someone with a disgusting aim?
Now, forgive me for not automatically think it's the best thing ever but everyone keeps saying that this is something revolutionary and godlike when all I see when I look at the multiplayer is a more CQC oriented Planetside 2 with influences from the Halo games.

Last edited by Siarnaq; 06-14-2014 at 09:15 AM.
I Blitsz I
Level 9000
Subtract from I Blitsz I's ReputationAdd to I Blitsz I's Reputation I Blitsz I IS OVER 9000 I Blitsz I IS OVER 9000 I Blitsz I IS OVER 9000 I Blitsz I IS OVER 9000 I Blitsz I IS OVER 9000 I Blitsz I IS OVER 9000 I Blitsz I IS OVER 9000 I Blitsz I IS OVER 9000 I Blitsz I IS OVER 9000 I Blitsz I IS OVER 9000 I Blitsz I IS OVER 9000
06-14-2014

Lol ppl always crying right away after a neg XD
Siarnaq
The Endless Obsession.
Subtract from Siarnaq's ReputationAdd to Siarnaq's Reputation Siarnaq is legendary Siarnaq is legendary Siarnaq is legendary
06-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitszy View Post
Lol ppl always crying right away after a neg XD
Since you're quick to negative rep anyone not agreeing with you or anyone that disagrees with Kiko Mia then I am not surprised that people tend to call you out.
I have yet to meet a more impressive white knight.
Klima
Bold as Love
Subtract from Klima's ReputationAdd to Klima's Reputation Klima IS OVER 9000 Klima IS OVER 9000 Klima IS OVER 9000 Klima IS OVER 9000 Klima IS OVER 9000 Klima IS OVER 9000 Klima IS OVER 9000 Klima IS OVER 9000 Klima IS OVER 9000 Klima IS OVER 9000 Klima IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Klima
06-14-2014

I think the multiplayer experience will provide the differences you're looking for. The game does unquestionably have substantial similarities with both Halo and Borderlands, but the way I see it, the MMO aspect of it is what is going to make it feel unique and definitely a game worth playing. This is the type of game that, if done right is going to have a million of players who will actually get addicted to it, like we have seen with WoW etc.

I think Bungie has really stepped up their ambitions with this game, compared to Halo 2, 3 and Halo: Reach.
I guess time will only tell as we have only seen a small fraction of the game.
Siarnaq
The Endless Obsession.
06-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klima View Post
I think the multiplayer experience will provide the differences you're looking for. The game does unquestionably have substantial similarities with both Halo and Borderlands, but the way I see it, the MMO aspect of it is what is going to make it feel unique and definitely a game worth playing. This is the type of game that, if done right is going to have a million of players who will actually get addicted to it, like we have seen with WoW etc.

I think Bungie has really stepped up their ambitions with this game, compared to Halo 2, 3 and Halo: Reach.
I guess time will only tell as we have only seen a small fraction of the game.
That's very true. It's just worrying what I've seen thus far, and I'm still weary over how a pseudo-MMORPG will work on a console system.
Another thing that worries me about the multiplayer is that they apparently are gunning for competitive play but each time you spawn you can get on a bike and be at the points in seconds.

Regardless of how I view it, I just see it as detrimental for competitive play as it doesn't promote teamplay to the same extent as larger maps with obstacles and chokepoints without vehicles do. I mean, there's a reason why MLG Halo never had maps with vehicles on them.

EDIT; It's kind of funny that the only person seemingly willing to openly discuss the game, points and views about it is a fellow scandinavian.
I Blitsz I
Level 9000
Subtract from I Blitsz I's ReputationAdd to I Blitsz I's Reputation I Blitsz I IS OVER 9000 I Blitsz I IS OVER 9000 I Blitsz I IS OVER 9000 I Blitsz I IS OVER 9000 I Blitsz I IS OVER 9000 I Blitsz I IS OVER 9000 I Blitsz I IS OVER 9000 I Blitsz I IS OVER 9000 I Blitsz I IS OVER 9000 I Blitsz I IS OVER 9000 I Blitsz I IS OVER 9000
06-14-2014

Quote:
Since you're quick to negative rep anyone not agreeing with you or anyone that disagrees with Kiko Mia then I am not surprised that people tend to call you out.
I have yet to meet a more impressive white knight.
Lol? What has Kiko Mia to do with this xD
I barely neg anyone but you keep talking trash, it's my own choice to neg you
Don't worry to much about it, sorry if the neg did hurt your feelings.
QuiGz
Kaze Ni Nare
Subtract from QuiGz's ReputationAdd to QuiGz's Reputation QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000 QuiGz IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to QuiGz Send a message via Skype™ to QuiGz
06-14-2014

Quote:

The Revolver is a one-shot gun with splash damage from what I've seen. Please tell me how that would fair in a competitive FPS when in the hands of someone with a disgusting aim?
Now, forgive me for not automatically think it's the best thing ever but everyone keeps saying that this is something revolutionary and godlike when all I see when I look at the multiplayer is a more CQC oriented Planetside 2 with influences from the Halo games.
Splash damage is pretty much nonexistent from my experience, it's direct impact. Tell me how Rockets in the hand of a competent player in Halo is fair? Both are cheap kills in the hand of anybody who isn't a retard, yet nobody has complained about those in MLG gametypes. Like I said, this will most likely be taken out of competitive play because it's basically a kill reward. But as far as online multiplayer goes, it's fine.

I'm not trying to crucify you for not thinking it's the greatest thing ever, I'm saying all this because you're talking the game down to be something it's not when your only experience with it is watching a stream. Once again "All I see", it's different.

All I'm trying to say is don't be too quick to judge. It plays incredibly different from Halo.

Quote:

Regardless of how I view it, I just see it as detrimental for competitive play as it doesn't promote teamplay to the same extent as larger maps with obstacles and chokepoints without vehicles do. I mean, there's a reason why MLG Halo never had maps with vehicles on them.
This is true. Hopefully they don't go overboard with it like they did with the space map in the Alpha, because the Turrets/Vehicles make it pretty annoying. I imagine there will be a solid mix of smaller/competitive maps, they've been pretty good with that over the years.

Quote:

EDIT; It's kind of funny that the only person seemingly willing to openly discuss the game, points and views about it is a fellow scandinavian.
I'm willing to openly discuss it, but you're really not giving me a whole lot to work with. You just keep saying it's a Borderlands/Halo Hybrid that looks like planetside. If you point out specific things I'm more than happy to talk about them, like the vehicle thing.

Last edited by QuiGz; 06-14-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Siarnaq
The Endless Obsession.
06-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitszy View Post
Lol? What has Kiko Mia to do with this xD
I barely neg anyone but you keep talking trash, it's my own choice to neg you
Don't worry to much about it, sorry if the neg did hurt your feelings.
Last time you neg repped me for disagreeing with Kiko Mia and questioning his maturity.
And seeing as you'll probably just deny it;

Also, it's called "discussing" and it's what mature people do. If anything I could just trash talk you into oblivion, but I'd rather not sink to your petty depths. Now, if you want to continue acting like a fool, use PM's and don't derail the thread any further.

This is the last reply I'm going to give you in a public thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGz
Splash damage is pretty much nonexistent from my experience, it's direct impact. Tell me how Rockets in the hand of a competent player in Halo is fair? Both are cheap kills in the hand of anybody who isn't a retard, yet nobody has complained about those in MLG gametypes. Like I said, this will most likely be taken out of competitive play because it's basically a kill reward. But as far as online multiplayer goes, it's fine.

I'm not trying to crucify you for not thinking it's the greatest thing ever, I'm saying all this because you're talking the game down to be something it's not when your only experience with it is watching a stream. Once again "All I see", it's different.

All I'm trying to say is don't be too quick to judge. It plays incredibly different from Halo.
Well firstly, that's what I saw from the E3 footage and I have seen some accounts of it during Alpha gameplay. Now if it's just something that has to do with latency or delayed hitboxes then that might explain it, but I still reserve some doubts as to why it's even in the game if they want to make it competitive.
Also, rockets weren't available to anyone playing a certain class, it was a timed pickup weapon which is fairly different from what the powerups are. The powerups are more like killstreak rewards from CoD, which also were somewhat 'eh'. Not to mention that there's rockets in Destiny aswell.

It's hard to talk the game up to being something entirely different when it's borrowing the core concepts from different games that have already been made nearly ad infinitum and just splash them together. I'm not saying that it's exactly like Halo, what I am saying is that it's just playing so similar to a game series I've already poured nearly two thousand hours into which just deters me from getting it. Yes, that is a personal view and I'm not trying to say that it's objectively shit, I'm just extremely curious as to what people find to be groundbreaking and amazing with the game when we've basically had the light versions available for a couple of years now with the Borderlands series and well any modern FPS. Though I can go out on a limb and say that the FPS part in itself looks pretty good gameplay-wise if they just remove the superpowerups from multiplayer.

EDIT; If they remove the powerups and get some smaller maps with no vehicles and better layout then I would say that it would make for a pretty good competitive FPS. It definitely has a solid base, it's just what's tacked on that makes me question how it's going to perform in competitive play.

Last edited by Siarnaq; 06-14-2014 at 09:40 AM.
I Blitsz I
Level 9000
06-14-2014

Lol? Wasn't even neg for disagreeing XD and like I know she negs you after XD you're to butthurt

So if you wanna continue this there is a thread called get Rep'd.