Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum

Display Modes Thread Tools
SyKaNe
Level 35
Subtract from SyKaNe's ReputationAdd to SyKaNe's Reputation SyKaNe is a novice
12-24-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchButtHair View Post
What is this? An unsubstantiated claim indicating a tested and proven science? Convincing...that isn't it...
Tested and proven science? You mean how they throw nine out of ten tested items out of the window because they do not fit their hypothesis as to how old they want it to be? I wouldn't trust someone going to bat on my team with an average like that nonetheless to tell me how old certain items on the earth are. It is only accurate to about 5000 years (which is interesting because we young earth believers estimate the earth is about such age).
DECLINE OF CIVILIZATION

I bloodypingu I
Lurker At The Threshold
Subtract from I bloodypingu I's ReputationAdd to I bloodypingu I's Reputation I bloodypingu I is a novice
Send a message via AIM to I bloodypingu I
12-24-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyKaNe View Post
Tested and proven science? You mean how they throw nine out of ten tested items out of the window because they do not fit their hypothesis as to how old they want it to be? I wouldn't trust someone going to bat on my team with an average like that nonetheless to tell me how old certain items on the earth are. It is only accurate to about 5000 years (which is interesting because we young earth believers estimate the earth is about such age).
Carbon dating is not the only form of dating, and is only used for dating things less than about 50,000 years. For things millions of years old, you have to use radiometric dating. So why do you keep talking about carbon 14 dating likes its the ONLY method of dating out there, and because its half life is 5,000 years old that some how proves that the earth is only 5000 years old.

"Music to me, might not be music to most"
-Buckethead

MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
12-24-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyKaNe View Post
Jesus fucking chirst . . .

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621
WicKeD ASSaSiN
The Dude Abides
Subtract from WicKeD ASSaSiN's ReputationAdd to WicKeD ASSaSiN's Reputation WicKeD ASSaSiN is a novice
Send a message via AIM to WicKeD ASSaSiN
12-24-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkedAchilles View Post
Jesus f..king chirst . . .
I concur.

I believe Uranium is accurate up to 4 billions years. So...

TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
12-27-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by WicKeD ASSaSiN View Post
I concur.

I believe Uranium is accurate up to 4 billions years. So...
Some radioactive decay dating methods are accurate beyond that point.
gotzeus
Level 45
Subtract from gotzeus's ReputationAdd to gotzeus's Reputation gotzeus IS OVER 9000 gotzeus IS OVER 9000 gotzeus IS OVER 9000 gotzeus IS OVER 9000 gotzeus IS OVER 9000 gotzeus IS OVER 9000 gotzeus IS OVER 9000 gotzeus IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to gotzeus
03-05-2009

Quote:
This is so some of you guys can learn a bit more about evolution. Most people don't really know what it is about and that is absolutely does not have anything to do with god or religion. I guess I could include genetics with this too.

So if you guys have any questions or would like anything explained post it here. I have nothing to study for a while so I am bored and would like to keep my mind going. If not, ignore this and play some Halo.
Id like to your thoughts on "Singularity"Recent News Link An Another About It Peeking 2012 a day would be like 10 years in the 20th century?

Last edited by gotzeus; 03-05-2009 at 01:11 AM.
MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
03-05-2009

Good question. This of course will be my opinion mixed in with as many facts as possible

Human development, if we are to look at biological or technological advances as it speaks in these essays there are lag, log and a plateau phase. This is a traditional growth curve for life.

Things start slow for a long time. Then the growth accelerates until you reach some sort of limit and this limit could be temporal, spatial, or material. You can run out of time to do what you are doing, run out of space for what you are doing, or run out of material.

What we are running out of in biological evolution, speaking of humans only, is selection pressures. We are quite good at keeping our environmental pressures even and uniform no matter where we are. We no longer feel the pressure for major biological change on an evolutionary means. I still am holding out for some sort of X-Man like changes to come and for me to beable to charge material and throw it like Gambit . .. but alas the odds are far too low.

As for technological innovation the curve cannot stay in a log phase forever (infinately accelerating) because we will run out of time eventually. More immediately we will run out of material of some sorts. There is a limited amount of 1. Water 2. Energy 3. Space on earth. Yes, technological advances, if for once we start funding EDUCATION and SCIENTIFIC development, can stretch the boundaries of those limitations but eventually we will not be able to sustain our population now let alone the acceleration and growth of technological advances as we see it now.

It takes material to make cell phones. It takes water to support the life that builds those cellphones. You have to have room to live, and get that material for those cellphones. As we continually explore the planet syphoning resources and energy and space as we go along with no regard for the biological damage to the global systems as we have for the last 10,000 years we are very close to a plateu on at least one of those levels.

The first and primary concern for me as a limiting factor for our develop both biologically and technologically is water and energy. Our life and technology depends on both respectively. We are running out of both at the levels we are right now.

Population growth is still occuring. This is one of the many things about the Chineses that impresses me. They have limited children. This is something that needs to be done world wide. There are 100's of millions of people that are technically starving right now. They do not have enough water. This increased growth in population creates an exponential drain on resources and suck away those resources that could go towards development.

So considering limiting factors, whichever ones you want to choose and the population limitations that I am sure many are familiar with I will cut this short as I have to head into work anyways.

The accelerating growth that we see in technology will not continue for many reasons. Singularity will not occur because an "open system" is needed and we do not have one, we have limitations. Biological accelerations as it applies to humans is basically over, for life in general, it will continue though. Humans are not the most biologically successful or evolutionary advanced species on the planet by a looooong margin in either way.

So the advances you want to see biologically will be seen in other areas.

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

gotzeus
Level 45
Subtract from gotzeus's ReputationAdd to gotzeus's Reputation gotzeus IS OVER 9000 gotzeus IS OVER 9000 gotzeus IS OVER 9000 gotzeus IS OVER 9000 gotzeus IS OVER 9000 gotzeus IS OVER 9000 gotzeus IS OVER 9000 gotzeus IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to gotzeus
03-05-2009

What about an expansion in Consciousness?....From disclosures around the globe..hidden from sight...such as energy......Magnetic Propulsion, Geothermal, an Nuclear Fusion....An Giving hence the solar winds are coming in radiation.mutation..NASA LINK crack in magnetic field?...Not in Media
DeathsMother
The Drinker
Subtract from DeathsMother's ReputationAdd to DeathsMother's Reputation DeathsMother is legendary DeathsMother is legendary DeathsMother is legendary
Send a message via Skype™ to DeathsMother
03-05-2009

Quote:
Good question. This of course will be my opinion mixed in with as many facts as possible

Human development, if we are to look at biological or technological advances as it speaks in these essays there are lag, log and a plateau phase. This is a traditional growth curve for life.

Things start slow for a long time. Then the growth accelerates until you reach some sort of limit and this limit could be temporal, spatial, or material. You can run out of time to do what you are doing, run out of space for what you are doing, or run out of material.

What we are running out of in biological evolution, speaking of humans only, is selection pressures. We are quite good at keeping our environmental pressures even and uniform no matter where we are. We no longer feel the pressure for major biological change on an evolutionary means. I still am holding out for some sort of X-Man like changes to come and for me to beable to charge material and throw it like Gambit . .. but alas the odds are far too low.

As for technological innovation the curve cannot stay in a log phase forever (infinately accelerating) because we will run out of time eventually. More immediately we will run out of material of some sorts. There is a limited amount of 1. Water 2. Energy 3. Space on earth. Yes, technological advances, if for once we start funding EDUCATION and SCIENTIFIC development, can stretch the boundaries of those limitations but eventually we will not be able to sustain our population now let alone the acceleration and growth of technological advances as we see it now.

It takes material to make cell phones. It takes water to support the life that builds those cellphones. You have to have room to live, and get that material for those cellphones. As we continually explore the planet syphoning resources and energy and space as we go along with no regard for the biological damage to the global systems as we have for the last 10,000 years we are very close to a plateu on at least one of those levels.

The first and primary concern for me as a limiting factor for our develop both biologically and technologically is water and energy. Our life and technology depends on both respectively. We are running out of both at the levels we are right now.

Population growth is still occuring. This is one of the many things about the Chineses that impresses me. They have limited children. This is something that needs to be done world wide. There are 100's of millions of people that are technically starving right now. They do not have enough water. This increased growth in population creates an exponential drain on resources and suck away those resources that could go towards development.

So considering limiting factors, whichever ones you want to choose and the population limitations that I am sure many are familiar with I will cut this short as I have to head into work anyways.

The accelerating growth that we see in technology will not continue for many reasons. Singularity will not occur because an "open system" is needed and we do not have one, we have limitations. Biological accelerations as it applies to humans is basically over, for life in general, it will continue though. Humans are not the most biologically successful or evolutionary advanced species on the planet by a looooong margin in either way.

So the advances you want to see biologically will be seen in other areas.
I'm sure I've told you I loved you before, but I'm re-idderating the fact now. One thing that I would touch on, though you may not feel the same way, would be natures own form of thinning the herd. I think we are in for a nice plague in the near future. Some form of the Influenza most probable, seems to be getting a bit stronger each year, killing more and more.

Perhaps I've watched too many movies about post apocalyptic earth, but I think it's a viable issue, one that seems to always win no matter what. But, it's been a while since I used my head for more then chick targeting, so my brain is starting to bleed a bit now.
Drinking is bad, mmmmm kay.................. OK not really.

Last edited by DeathsMother; 03-05-2009 at 10:37 AM.
MarkedAchilles
03-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsMother View Post
I'm sure I've told you I loved you before, but I'm re-idderating the fact now. One thing that I would touch on, though you may not feel the same way, would be natures own form of thinning the herd. I think we are in for a nice plague in the near future. Some form of the Influenza most probable, seems to be getting a bit strong each year, killing more and more.

Perhaps I've watched too many movies about post apocalyptic earth, but I think it's a viable issue, one that seems to always win no matter what. But, it's been a while since I used my head for more then chick targeting, so my brain is starting to bleed a bit now.
Love you too sexy.

And yes, that is pretty much what I am hinting at without directly saying. We will have a population crash if the system remains the way we are. And by that I mean billions of deaths.

Its the price you pay for the log phase.