Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
Stuck Ya Face!
Level 12
Subtract from Stuck Ya Face!'s ReputationAdd to Stuck Ya Face!'s Reputation Stuck Ya Face! is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Stuck Ya Face!
10-09-2006
Default Is swearing a sin???

I won't limit this to just christianity, but me and my friends were debating this, so lets hear some insight!

Need A Sig
xX KaM1KaZe
Level 30
Subtract from xX KaM1KaZe's ReputationAdd to xX KaM1KaZe's Reputation xX KaM1KaZe is a novice
Send a message via AIM to xX KaM1KaZe Send a message via MSN to xX KaM1KaZe
10-09-2006

Well it would depend how you say it. If you say it to put somebody down, then it is, but if you stub your toe and a curse word comes out, it shouldn't matter.
.:Frosty:.
Graphically Insightful
Subtract from .:Frosty:.'s ReputationAdd to .:Frosty:.'s Reputation .:Frosty:. is a novice
Send a message via AIM to .:Frosty:.
10-09-2006

the 3rd commandment states you shouldn't say the Lord's Name in vain..so some swears apply
Thank You
Само лета од нок

*Hip Thrust*
Swashbuckling
Subtract from 007's ReputationAdd to 007's Reputation 007 is stuck in campaign mode
10-10-2006

If you take the Bible as a staright literal rule book, then yes it is.

Heres a few scriptures that supports that statement.

1 Peter 3:10 "For, Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech."

Ephesians 4:29 "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

Now what I think it is saying is that you shouldnt cuss/swear evil upon another. That is a sin, no doubt. But if you for instance "stub your toe" and say something then no, because you dont put your thoughts behind it your not wishing evil upon anyone/anything.

Sorry if you cant understand that lol, im tired.
GT - The Cheese Pope

FCMCA
BiShoP
Killing Kittens for Fun
Subtract from BiShoP's ReputationAdd to BiShoP's Reputation BiShoP is a novice
Send a message via AIM to BiShoP
10-10-2006

Wow, I was thinking of those verses you posted above before even looking at the post!! Good Job dude!!

Also, theres a verse in Matthew that discusses how the desires of the heart are expressed from the mouth. Knowing that, generally your pattern of thought is what you speak.
H 2 F R e G s
`NthErik.
Amokläufer
Subtract from `NthErik.'s ReputationAdd to `NthErik.'s Reputation `NthErik. is a novice
Send a message via AIM to `NthErik.
10-10-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post

1 Peter 3:10 "For, Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech."

Ephesians 4:29 "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

Now what I think it is saying is that you shouldnt cuss/swear evil upon another. That is a sin, no doubt. But if you for instance "stub your toe" and say something then no, because you dont put your thoughts behind it your not wishing evil upon anyone/anything.

That doesn't have anything to do with certain words being taboo, like what in our society. Those verses just mean that you shouldn't say bad things about people or speak deceitfully. That doesn't mean you can't say "f*ck".

LeTHal diABLo
Level 33
Subtract from LeTHal diABLo's ReputationAdd to LeTHal diABLo's Reputation LeTHal diABLo is a novice
Send a message via AIM to LeTHal diABLo
10-10-2006

Yes, it is in the Bible...

Knoxy
>
Subtract from Knoxy's ReputationAdd to Knoxy's Reputation Knoxy IS OVER 9000 Knoxy IS OVER 9000 Knoxy IS OVER 9000 Knoxy IS OVER 9000 Knoxy IS OVER 9000 Knoxy IS OVER 9000 Knoxy IS OVER 9000 Knoxy IS OVER 9000 Knoxy IS OVER 9000
10-10-2006

Quote:

I believe that one is talking about lying and trickery instead of swearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
This one is refering to things like gossip and lying again, as it's "unwholesome". It wants you to help others out, but once again it doesn't refer outright to swearing. It just wants you to help people and not criticize them verbally.

Swearing isn't wrong, saying "That is fucking amazing" doesn't hurt anyone in any way...it's just words.
Spoiler!
xGooses
Retired Active
Subtract from xGooses's ReputationAdd to xGooses's Reputation xGooses is a novice
Send a message via AIM to xGooses
10-11-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTHal diABLo View Post
Yes, it is in the Bible...
Well then, clearly, it's a sin, because the Bible definitely isn't the biggest lie in the history of the world or anything like that.

How can you trust the teachings of a book and a god that kills people?

Exodus 12:29 And it came to pass, that at midnight the Lord smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sat on his throne unto the firstborn of the captive who was in the dungeon, and all the firstborn of the cattle.

How can you possibly hold what the Bible preaches as truth when it contradicts itself over and over and over again.

Romans 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one.
Genesis 7:1 And the Lord said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.

Can you say contradiction?

The Bible is nothing more than a giant work of fiction; the most elaborate ruse on humanity ever conceived.

As for swearing being a sin, I would like first of all to point out a thing or two.

First of all, so we all know what we're talking about here, the operational definition for 'sin' that I will be following is the one provided to me by Dictionary.com: "any act regarded as such a transgression, especially a willful or deliberate violation of some religious or moral principle."

Now, in order for something to be a sin therefore, it would have to violate, in the case of Christianity, the teachings of the Bible, as it is the foundation for Christianity. Now, if you'll recall what I said earlier and provided some evidence to support my claim, the Bible is not a divine script, but rather a work of fiction. Consequently, there is nothing to violate. In actuality, no religious principle exists.

So, if you read nothing else from my post, read this. Swearing cannot be a sin, because the whole classification system for sin is built upon a non-existent framework.

There you have it. I'll take on any challengers.

Also, I have Lockerz invites, so PM me.
H3F Bullet™
Level 31
Subtract from H3F Bullet™'s ReputationAdd to H3F Bullet™'s Reputation H3F Bullet™ is a novice
Send a message via MSN to H3F Bullet™ Send a message via Skype™ to H3F Bullet™
10-11-2006

Quote:

IF YOU say it alot its a sin

and how lot and who you say it too.once my bully was swearing at the teacher
and i said,do you talk to your mother with dat mouth

Replyedto me:fuck you fuck you fuck you cuntsnucker and then he got caught.yay.