Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > General Gaming > Hardware & Software

Display Modes Thread Tools
Winning
cum on stehp it up!
Subtract from Winning's ReputationAdd to Winning's Reputation Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided
Send a message via MSN to Winning Send a message via Yahoo to Winning Send a message via Skype™ to Winning
05-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useful Idiot View Post
Already went with the 4850.

So yeah, this is why my rig is going to be. All I need is the motherboard and the case, which I'll pick up next week.

CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103678
Video Card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102837
Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128387
Memory - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231166
Power Supply - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153052
Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129042
Not what I would pick tbh...

DDR2 1066 is a waste of $10. OC'ing DDR2 800 to 1066 is pretty easy.
Al's sweet ass

Useful Idiot
I know you want this body
Subtract from Useful Idiot's ReputationAdd to Useful Idiot's Reputation Useful Idiot still downloads from Mythica Useful Idiot still downloads from Mythica Useful Idiot still downloads from Mythica Useful Idiot still downloads from Mythica Useful Idiot still downloads from Mythica Useful Idiot still downloads from Mythica
05-30-2009

You keep saying that. I have no problem paying $6 more and not having to overclock anything.

Honestly dude, it's six bucks.

Also, the first review on the 800 says "Not so great with overclocking. Doesn't really want to operate over 1000MHz but that's hardly a con."

'00 Electric Green GT:
SCT X3 Flashed, BBK CAI, BBK Headers, O/R X Pipe, Cat Delete, MagnaPacks, T-45 Trans, Ford Racing 4.10s, Eibach Sportline Springs, Black 18" Saleen Wheels, 275/35 NT555s, Xentec HIDs
Build List:
Slotted Brembos w/ Hawk HPS Pads & SS Lines

Last edited by Useful Idiot; 05-30-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Winning
cum on stehp it up!
Subtract from Winning's ReputationAdd to Winning's Reputation Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided Winning is bustin' chills and getting paided
Send a message via MSN to Winning Send a message via Yahoo to Winning Send a message via Skype™ to Winning
05-30-2009

Quote:
You keep saying that. I have no problem paying $6 more and not having to overclock anything.

Honestly dude, it's six bucks.

Also, the first review on the 800 says "Not so great with overclocking. Doesn't really want to operate over 1000MHz but that's hardly a con."
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227269

I suggest you go after a better PSU. Same with the CPU.
Al's sweet ass

Useful Idiot
Subtract from Useful Idiot's ReputationAdd to Useful Idiot's Reputation Useful Idiot still downloads from Mythica Useful Idiot still downloads from Mythica Useful Idiot still downloads from Mythica Useful Idiot still downloads from Mythica Useful Idiot still downloads from Mythica Useful Idiot still downloads from Mythica
05-30-2009

Why do I need a better power supply? 500W is more than enough for me right now and I've used Thermaltake's products before and was very happy with them. And for the CPU, it's the best one in my price range. Obviously if I wanted, and needed, something better I would get it.

'00 Electric Green GT:
SCT X3 Flashed, BBK CAI, BBK Headers, O/R X Pipe, Cat Delete, MagnaPacks, T-45 Trans, Ford Racing 4.10s, Eibach Sportline Springs, Black 18" Saleen Wheels, 275/35 NT555s, Xentec HIDs
Build List:
Winning
cum on stehp it up!
05-30-2009

Quote:
Why do I need a better power supply? 500W is more than enough for me right now and I've used Thermaltake's products before and was very happy with them. And for the CPU, it's the best one in my price range. Obviously if I wanted, and needed, something better I would get it.
Sometimes it isn't about the watts...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103773 - Better CPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182044 - I'd go for this PSU
Al's sweet ass

Useful Idiot
05-30-2009

I was going to RMA the Kuma (since I bought it by mistake in the first place) and get that one, but I don't know if it's worth the trouble. I was reading and the Kuma can be OC'd to around 3.1 with the stock fan and heatsink, if I wanted to.

'00 Electric Green GT:
Build List:
Winning
cum on stehp it up!
05-30-2009

Quote:
I was going to RMA the Kuma (since I bought it by mistake in the first place) and get that one, but I don't know if it's worth the trouble. I was reading and the Kuma can be OC'd to around 3.1 with the stock fan and heatsink, if I wanted to.
You aren't even willing to spend $10 less and just OC your RAM...

Get the CPU I suggested, the 2MB L2 Cache will come in handy.
Al's sweet ass

Useful Idiot
05-30-2009

After the RMA, it would be ~$50 more for that processor. I'm willing to dabble with overclocking if I'm going to save that much. I still might OC the RAM. I was just saying I didn't see the point in messing with it for a $6 dollar difference.

'00 Electric Green GT:
Build List:
Winning
cum on stehp it up!
05-30-2009

Quote:
After the RMA, it would be ~$50 more for that processor. I'm willing to dabble with overclocking if I'm going to save that much. I still might OC the RAM. I was just saying I didn't see the point in messing with it for a $6 dollar difference.
^ Math Fail.

$54.99-$36.99=$18

That money would be best spent on something else.

^ Math Fail.

All insults on the both of us for not noticing the price tags aside, Staying with the CPU that you are RMA'ing seems like the smart choice. OC'ing it is also a good idea. Dark Fury can recommend you a good AMD CPU cooler that shouldn't be more then $20 and will easily give it better clocks then the stock clock's of the Windsor. Or, you could stick with what you have and get a small OC. Not what I would recommend, but it is your call.

I especially recommend getting a cooler if you'll go with the DDR2 800 for $35.99 that I suggested which you'll hopefully OC to 1066 if you purchase.

The 2MB L2 cache is important though. That 1MB boost would've made a difference when playing games...
Al's sweet ass

Last edited by Winning; 05-30-2009 at 02:28 PM.
xRedLinE
Level 16
Subtract from xRedLinE's ReputationAdd to xRedLinE's Reputation xRedLinE is a novice
Send a message via AIM to xRedLinE Send a message via MSN to xRedLinE
05-30-2009

Useful, you're getting most of what I have gotten.

But the PSU should be a single +12V Rail...Go with Corsair or PC Power & Cooling...You can get a 500W for like 70$ I do think.

Newegg is having a sale on the GIGABYTE MA790X-UD4P with the Phenom II X4 940, which is what I've got....for like $230.

Phenom II X4 BE 940 3.0Ghz │ MA790X-UD4PEVGA GTX260 C216WD SE16 500GBLG22X DVD/CD Burner PC P&C 750WG.Skill 1066Mhz 4GB2x Yate Loon 120mm Blue LEDRazer DeathAdderSaitek EclipseAntec 300 Sennheiser HD555Samsung T220 & a Dell 19" Astro A40 Mixamp

CUTEST THING EVARRR