Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
Froggy618157725
Level 31
Subtract from Froggy618157725's ReputationAdd to Froggy618157725's Reputation Froggy618157725 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Froggy618157725 Send a message via MSN to Froggy618157725 Send a message via Yahoo to Froggy618157725
11-07-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXodus318 View Post
if there were no heaven or hell we would just die and decompose in the ground...oh wait..we already do that.
Well, we already know about what happens to our bodies. We aren't too concerned with that. But what happens to the mind? We hardly even know what consciousness is, let alone what happens when we die. Ceasing to exist seems almost as absurd as existing in the first place.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Thanks to Shystie for avatar
Lammie
Level 100 Jolteon
Subtract from Lammie's ReputationAdd to Lammie's Reputation Lammie is on the rise to fame Lammie is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to Lammie
11-07-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by I GaRbAg3 MaN I View Post
I would really like a die-hard Christian to come in here and answer this question, I'm just curios on what he would say.
.....I did.

Ch-che-check, check it out.
Thank you.

Not mentioned in signature: Rebal <3
Lammiespace.

*Hip Thrust*
I GaRbAg3 MaN I
Level 45
Subtract from I GaRbAg3 MaN I's ReputationAdd to I GaRbAg3 MaN I's Reputation I GaRbAg3 MaN I is a novice
Send a message via AIM to I GaRbAg3 MaN I
11-07-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammie View Post
People would still be dependant on something.
Yea but depedent on something in Christianity or just another religion?
Lammie
Level 100 Jolteon
Subtract from Lammie's ReputationAdd to Lammie's Reputation Lammie is on the rise to fame Lammie is on the rise to fame
11-08-2006

Quote:
Yea but depedent on something in Christianity or just another religion?
Well, people will always be dependant on religion in general. You forget that Christianity isn't the "world religion" and that religion in general relies on the afterlife to motivate.

I suppose if you remove the concept of afterlife from all religion, there may be less people following a given religion, but I'm sure there'd still be a large amount of people that do. People need to believe in SOMETHING, you know?
Thank you.

Lammiespace.

*Hip Thrust*
Rebal771
1 of the original 10,656
Subtract from Rebal771's ReputationAdd to Rebal771's Reputation Rebal771 is a n00b
11-08-2006

Quote:
What if there was no heaven or hell, that the bible contained no such ideas of a after-life. How many would still believe? Would you? Would the religion still be able to prosper?

Discuss
Technically...this "what if" scenario is the exact situation that we are currently in - Reality. But in reality...the Bible tells us that there is, in fact, an afterlife. So if the Bible didn't say that....
then you make a point in the fact that this religion would probably not survive on the grand scale that it has.

It would more than likely be similar to the historical mythology of rome, greece, eastern asia, and africa that we study today.

It doesn't really seem to offer any short term benefits (i.e. quick cash, new cars, or regenerated limbs ) so, more than likely, the reason people would believe in such an idea would be because they would want to have a goal, or something to look forward to.

Lemon addressed your question pretty well, and I believe Froggy did as well.
Which kinda bounces me in a slightly different direction. It's not the case that to be a good person, you have to believe in the Bible or the afterlife. You can be a good person independant of that entire ideology/lifestyle....but believing/living by the Bible itself would seem fairly rediculous to a lot of people if it did not offer some type of benefit.

It would be similar to living by Roman ideology that was presented with their polythiestic beliefs back then in todays world. You'd believe that Dionysus would be the God of Wine...but not that he would do anything about it. You'd put his name on a statue, but it would not talk back to you. It would just be a part of history.

THANKS SOLID................................& STORMS!!!

Not mentioned in sig: <3 Lammie
I GaRbAg3 MaN I
Level 45
Subtract from I GaRbAg3 MaN I's ReputationAdd to I GaRbAg3 MaN I's Reputation I GaRbAg3 MaN I is a novice
Send a message via AIM to I GaRbAg3 MaN I
11-08-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammie View Post
Well, people will always be dependant on religion in general. You forget that Christianity isn't the "world religion" and that religion in general relies on the afterlife to motivate.

I suppose if you remove the concept of afterlife from all religion, there may be less people following a given religion, but I'm sure there'd still be a large amount of people that do. People need to believe in SOMETHING, you know?
But what do you think would be the thing that motivates people? What else could religion base its premise off of besides the after-life. What would they believe in? I'm not asking you to make up a fake religion here I'm asking if there are any topic's that come to mind right now.
Lammie
Level 100 Jolteon
11-08-2006

Quote:
But what do you think would be the thing that motivates people? What else could religion base its premise off of besides the after-life. What would they believe in? I'm not asking you to make up a fake religion here I'm asking if there are any topic's that come to mind right now.
Well I think that all that would really be left is a morality guide. Basically a book with more of a "Look at this perfect person! Strive to be like him! He is God, worship him or be smited!"

If there was no afterlife, I'm not sure there'd be a fear of death, but you could threaten misfortune to those who didn't believe, "your crops wont grow" etc.

So a moral guide, and use threats on the quality of life to get people to stick with it, I guess. That'd make a religion.
Thank you.

Lammiespace.

*Hip Thrust*
P For PaniC
Level 30
Subtract from P For PaniC's ReputationAdd to P For PaniC's Reputation P For PaniC is legendary P For PaniC is legendary P For PaniC is legendary
Send a message via AIM to P For PaniC
11-08-2006

what if Garbag3 Man was not so incredibly awesome? oh i think the world would explode thats all
g7ags
sm panic

nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLippiN C View Post
Now you've done it Johnny Quest!
Midpoint
Level 40
Subtract from Midpoint's ReputationAdd to Midpoint's Reputation Midpoint is legendary Midpoint is legendary Midpoint is legendary
Send a message via AIM to Midpoint
11-08-2006

Actually, the concept regarding Heaven and specifically hell actually has its roots in ancient Babylonian teachings.

From my study, the bible doesnt support this either or concept whereas if your bad you will be tormented in hell, the scriptures specifically say in
Eccl. 9:5 that the dead are concious of nothing.

If you are concious of nothing you can't feel torment, burning, or whatever else is suppossed to take place in hell.

Furthermore, I dont think the sole purpose of religon is to just focus on the afterlife. The purpose of religon is to give hope in a true solution to mankinds problems. In the case of the bible - God's kingdom.

Doctrines that primarily deal with the heaven/hell concept often fail to produce an acurate bible-based answer as to what will happen to the earth.
Lammie
Level 100 Jolteon
11-08-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpoint View Post
Doctrines that primarily deal with the heaven/hell concept often fail to produce an acurate bible-based answer as to what will happen to the earth.
The Bible pretty accurately prophecizes what will happen to the Earth. Is that not what you meant?
Thank you.

Lammiespace.

*Hip Thrust*