Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Complete Off-Topic

Display Modes Thread Tools
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
01-20-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhis View Post
true detective's ending had its head so far up its ass that it lost all the build up of the entire series. i really want to see if the 2nd season can live up.
This. From a memorable review:
Quote:
The Whitman's Sampler that was True Detective's finale is beyond discussion, literally, because what we now know is that no discussion was necessary. All the references, all the philosophical subtext, all the weirdness-- turns out it was topping after topping, "does this make you watch? How about this?" Remember when the one character who turns out to be irrelevant says, "YOU'RE IN CARCOSA NOW," do you know what that meant? Nothing. The writer once read a story that had the word Carcosa in it but since his cat was already named Chuckles he used it in a TV script. "It's a reference to--" I know what it's a reference to. Why is it a reference? Does it mean anything? Did "acolyte" or "metapsychotic"?

We see Errol shifting fluidly between several accents. Here is the show I thought I was watching: is this is a 1 Corinthians 14 "speaking in tongues"? Maybe coupled with the aluminum and ash reference it suggests Errol is Baal and Carcosa is Hell?

Here is the show I was actually watching: though not mentioned ever in the show ever, he did that because the accident that caused his scars also made it hard for him to talk in his normal voice.

Meditate on that.

The writer googled Chekhov's Gun, laughed mightily and roared, "you're not the boss of me!" I'm confused, so the killer's ears were green because he painted houses with his ears? The point isn't that this explanation is stupid, the point is he didn't need to have green ears.

I don't care about "tying up loose ends" or sterile Judeo-Christian undercurrents, I have ABC for that. I care only about internal consistency. If you're going to make a show about, for example, zombies that is worth watching, at some point a character must say, "look, the only thing we know with 100% certainty is that every single one of us will eventually but unpredictably become a zombie, so we probably need to devote, oh, I don't know, 100% of our energy to dealing with that certainty." Once you ask that question you are lead, for example, towards a sci-fi show about forced physical isolation where the only contact we have with each other is digital, but because of the lack of physical contact paranoia sets in, and suddenly every interaction becomes an implied Turing Test. Would you watch that show? Because without that question you have four seasons of Denial Lets Us Pretend The Old Rules Still Apply [The Walking Dead].

A show about applied philosophy in the form of a crime drama sounded intriguing. All of True Detective's existential despair, posed as, "how do you solve a series of murders when humans are a mistake anyway?" -- well? It's finally solved incoherently with an appeal to the Old Testament. Oh, so God exists after all? That would have been helpful to know up front, because I thought we were in Schopenhauer's "time is a flat circle" universe. But whirlwinds are cool, too.

So through some kind of faith, Cohle loses both his nihilism and... his interest in pursuing child killers? "We got ours." Oh, we're done then. Time for a sandwhich.

"I don't sleep, I just dream." Turns out that doesn't mean anything either, but if you're 16 feel free to lay it on the artsy girls. You'll think they'll think you're mysterious.

II.

I'm sure everyone has their own idea of how it should have ended. But as an exercise how could you take the finale that was aired and fix it using only an additional 10 seconds? You can't change anything else.

Could you have kept it true to the show's original promise, such that "pessimist" Cohle is both redeemed AND still true to who he is? Could you have rendered a closing scene so diabolically duplicitous that, on the one hand, most of the characters are saved/happy, while the world's bleak necessity of a tragic hero (since that's all he was, after all) becomes unescapable? That we all live semi-peacefully only because of the sacrifice of a few loners in a garden, coming out one by one to allow their own crucifixion?

"Compassion is ethics." Yes it is. How do you take Nietzsche's nihilism and make it compassionate? Yet not sappy? If you accept that the theme of the show is that life has absolutely no meaning and therefore it is up to you to give it meaning, how do you take the mess that is episode 8 and say that?

Could it be done in ten extra seconds?

At the end they optimistically talk about stars and daughters and life energies, and Marty smiles upon Cohle and Cohle smiles upon the universe, and Marty, having learned the true meaning of Christmas, skips off to go get the car.

Cohle sits alone in the wheelchair, watching him. The emotion in his face disappears. His face hardens. He takes a long drag from the cigarette.

"But I lied for your salvation."

Cut to black.

Credits.
Spoiler!
Trendkill
A Bitter Old Man
Subtract from Trendkill's ReputationAdd to Trendkill's Reputation Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000
01-20-2015

^that's so true it hurts. the ending for me wasn't so bad as much as it was just a disappointment.
PLaTaNo
F%* friends.
Subtract from PLaTaNo's ReputationAdd to PLaTaNo's Reputation PLaTaNo IS OVER 9000 PLaTaNo IS OVER 9000 PLaTaNo IS OVER 9000 PLaTaNo IS OVER 9000 PLaTaNo IS OVER 9000 PLaTaNo IS OVER 9000 PLaTaNo IS OVER 9000 PLaTaNo IS OVER 9000 PLaTaNo IS OVER 9000 PLaTaNo IS OVER 9000 PLaTaNo IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to PLaTaNo
01-20-2015

I see where you guys are coming from, it was a disappointment but it wasn't that bad.
"I kick it with the plug nigga."

Spanker
Liberate Me
Subtract from Spanker's ReputationAdd to Spanker's Reputation Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000 Spanker IS OVER 9000
01-20-2015

PM negged me for watching The Sopranos and The Wire. Oh my.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
spanks is only here to stifle the happiness of others

My existence led by confusion boats, mutiny from stern to bow.
The storm consumes all.
WiNDeX
OG
Subtract from WiNDeX's ReputationAdd to WiNDeX's Reputation WiNDeX IS OVER 9000 WiNDeX IS OVER 9000 WiNDeX IS OVER 9000 WiNDeX IS OVER 9000 WiNDeX IS OVER 9000 WiNDeX IS OVER 9000 WiNDeX IS OVER 9000 WiNDeX IS OVER 9000 WiNDeX IS OVER 9000 WiNDeX IS OVER 9000 WiNDeX IS OVER 9000
01-20-2015

Well yeah dude, you should stop liking things he doesn't like.
XYOX
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from XYOX's ReputationAdd to XYOX's Reputation XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to XYOX
01-20-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLaTaNo View Post
Late night nudes are the best.
Inbox is open
She only comes to me in my dreams
So sleep becomes routine
It's not healthy, it's what makes you right
It's not healthy, it's what makes you...

She only comes to me in my dreams

So sleep becomes addicting
It's not healthy, it's what makes you right
It's not healthy, it's what makes you...

WiNDeX
OG
Subtract from WiNDeX's ReputationAdd to WiNDeX's Reputation WiNDeX IS OVER 9000 WiNDeX IS OVER 9000 WiNDeX IS OVER 9000 WiNDeX IS OVER 9000 WiNDeX IS OVER 9000 WiNDeX IS OVER 9000 WiNDeX IS OVER 9000 WiNDeX IS OVER 9000 WiNDeX IS OVER 9000 WiNDeX IS OVER 9000 WiNDeX IS OVER 9000
01-20-2015

I got a question for you guys. My 2011 Macbook pro charger just died on me and I bought a new one for $80 from Best Buy. Do you guys think I could get away with putting my old dead one (after cleaning it) into the box and returning it saying "it was actually my computer that had problems, so I wont be needing the charger"

Do you think they'll check to see if it works?

The $80 is putting me back a bit because I'm about to drop ~300 on textbooks.

Last edited by WiNDeX; 01-20-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Grif55
Valar Morgulis
Subtract from Grif55's ReputationAdd to Grif55's Reputation Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000 Grif55 IS OVER 9000
Send a message via Skype™ to Grif55
01-20-2015
Default What's on your mind? Talk about anything here!

I think they will definitely check, please it seems like a bit of a dick move. I would just ask them if you could get a rebate on the one you bought, they should be lasting longer than 2 years I believe. Unless the cord got frayed or something.

I took just dropped a 3 hunna bomb on textbooks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by M00SEONTHEL00SE View Post
holy shit lahey, i never put it together

ive been watching trailer park boys for the last month and your avatar is jim lahey and your name is the big lahey. wow
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLaTaNo View Post
Sometimes I wish I was white so I can embrace the neo-nazi culture. This movie was sick and these niggas put in work.

BuK
Jaded
Subtract from BuK's ReputationAdd to BuK's Reputation BuK IS OVER 9000 BuK IS OVER 9000 BuK IS OVER 9000 BuK IS OVER 9000 BuK IS OVER 9000 BuK IS OVER 9000 BuK IS OVER 9000 BuK IS OVER 9000 BuK IS OVER 9000 BuK IS OVER 9000 BuK IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to BuK
01-20-2015

might work, windex... i did the same with a 360 @ wal-mart years back when it RRoD and MS wasn't offering the free fix. not sure how well they inspect returns at best buy though

WiNDeX
OG
01-20-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grif55 View Post
I think they will definitely check, please it seems like a bit of a dick move. I would just ask them if you could get a rebate on the one you bought, they should be lasting longer than 2 years I believe. Unless the cord got frayed or something.

I took just dropped a 3 hunna bomb on textbooks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm aware it's a dick move, but I don't feel too guilty about it cause it's fucking Best Buy and they treated me like shit when I worked there in high school.

Yeah man the textbooks this year are ruining me, I've got a couple 40 hour work weeks ahead of me to help out with expenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuK View Post
might work, windex... i did the same with a 360 @ wal-mart years back when it RRoD and MS wasn't offering the free fix. not sure how well they inspect returns at best buy though

Yeah man walmart will take anything back, it's awesome. I went camping a couple years back and bought several chairs and a cooler and then returned it all a week later.