Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
NG
poo-tee-weet?
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via AIM to NG
01-22-2008

I think it was the first commandment, E Nomini Patri
Busy, busy, busy
E Nomini Patri
Level 21
Subtract from E Nomini Patri's ReputationAdd to E Nomini Patri's Reputation E Nomini Patri is a novice
Send a message via MSN to E Nomini Patri
01-22-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
I think it was the first commandment, E Nomini Patri
There's so many I can never tell these days. :/ thx

Livin in the ATX sonnnn...
Graphic Design Portfolio | GT: RVG E Nomini | Youtube Channel
Vrbas
i'm around
Subtract from Vrbas's ReputationAdd to Vrbas's Reputation Vrbas is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Vrbas
01-22-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Nomini Patri View Post
There's so many I can never tell these days. :/ thx
Hmmm, the Bible quotes 10. I was always under the impression these were "The Commandments." Unless they've found some hidden text or dug up some old slabs, i'm unaware of the "many" you speak of.
E Nomini Patri
Level 21
Subtract from E Nomini Patri's ReputationAdd to E Nomini Patri's Reputation E Nomini Patri is a novice
Send a message via MSN to E Nomini Patri
01-22-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbas View Post
Hmmm, the Bible quotes 10. I was always under the impression these were "The Commandments." Unless they've found some hidden text or dug up some old slabs, i'm unaware of the "many" you speak of.
Read Exodus, there's a LOT more than 10 lol.

Livin in the ATX sonnnn...
Graphic Design Portfolio | GT: RVG E Nomini | Youtube Channel
WicKeD ASSaSiN
The Dude Abides
Subtract from WicKeD ASSaSiN's ReputationAdd to WicKeD ASSaSiN's Reputation WicKeD ASSaSiN is a novice
Send a message via AIM to WicKeD ASSaSiN
01-22-2008

Quote:
No no I'm just explaining what you said about ignoring science in favor of scripture, as in like people who claim the Earth is 6,000 years old etc because if they took the facts from science it would diminish their God somehow. That means they worship the scriptures because their God wouldn't exist without them. Biblidolatry.
They believe Bible is the word of God, not that God is the word of the Bible. Believing the facts would diminish their scripture which is the basis for their practices. One can still worship in God without the scriptures, but how would they go about it? This is where the scriptures come in.

NG
poo-tee-weet?
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via AIM to NG
01-22-2008

Quote:
Read Exodus, there's a LOT more than 10 lol.
Movement of ja people?
Busy, busy, busy
muRda
Godzilla vs. MLK
Subtract from muRda's ReputationAdd to muRda's Reputation muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000
01-22-2008

Quote:
No no I'm just explaining what you said about ignoring science in favor of scripture, as in like people who claim the Earth is 6,000 years old etc because if they took the facts from science it would diminish their God somehow. That means they worship the scriptures because their God wouldn't exist without them. Biblidolatry.
You don't how confoosed I was.
XxGRECOxX
Level 15
Subtract from XxGRECOxX's ReputationAdd to XxGRECOxX's Reputation XxGRECOxX is a novice
01-22-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by muRda View Post
Read that article I posted above. It's a quick, interesting read, and will answer your question.

I think there is a bigger problem in putting aside tons of scientific evidence with a literal translation.
I read it yeah it's interesting. But really it doesnt matter what they think because the Bible cant be read subjectively. Some things are figurative though. I wish I had my Bible notes. Tomorrow! I will show some cool things perhaps.

Geniology of Jesus according to Luke.

1. Jesus
2. Joseph
3. Heli
4. Mathat
5. Levi
6. Melchi
7. Janne
8. Joseph
9. Mathathias
10. Amos
11. Nahum
12. Hesli
13. Nagge
14. Mahath
15. Mathathias
16. Semei
17. Joseph
18. Juda
19. Joanna
20. Reza
21. Zorobabel
22. Salathiel
23. Neri
24. Melchi
25. Addi
26. Cosan
27. Helmadan
28. Her
29. Jesus
30. Eliezer
31. Jorim
32. Mathat
33. Levi
34. Simeon
35. Judas
36. Joseph
37. Jona
38. Eliakim
39. Melea
40. Menna
41. Mathatha
42. Nathan
43. David
44. Jesse
45. Obed
46. Booz
47. Salmon
48. Naasson
49. Aminadab
50. Aram
51. Esron
52. Phares
53. Judas
54. Jacob
55. Isaac
56. Abraham
57. Thare
58. Nachor
59. Sarug
60. Ragau
61. Phaleg
62. Heber
63. Sale
64. Cainan
65. Arphaxad
66. Sem
67. Noah
68. Lamech
69. Mathusale
70. Henoch
71. Jared
72. Malaleel
73. Cainan
74. Henos
75. Seth
76. Adam
77. God

Luke took it litterally. What i'm saying is if he takes it literally than all Christians must because the Bible must be infallible and inerrant. Though there are small errors and differences in the Resurrection account. Which makes the entire Bible False unless its mistranslated.

EDIT: Vrbas. exactly what I'm trying to say. I wanted to know what you thought b/c youre from the south too if I remember correctly. Also everything I say about Christians applies to Baptists, Presbyterians esp. and methodists only.
We apologize for the inconvenience

Last edited by XxGRECOxX; 01-22-2008 at 09:48 PM.
muRda
Godzilla vs. MLK
Subtract from muRda's ReputationAdd to muRda's Reputation muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000
01-23-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxGRECOxX View Post
But really it doesnt matter what they think because the Bible cant be read subjectively. Some things are figurative though.
It does matter what he thinks; one of the guys mentioned was a Cardinal. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but in the instance of naming Mary the Blessed Virgin, PJPII had scholarly type dudes study the subject for years to make sure that proclaiming such a belief would be in accordance to Catholic teaching. Subjectivity only deals with how you view the different stances, not necessarily the objectivity of the stances themselves(don't know if this makes sense or is even a coherent thought).

Quote:
if he takes it literally than all Christians must because the Bible must be infallible and inerrant.
The Bible can be infallible and inerrant and still be translated figuratively. In fact, it's necessary for the Creation Accounts to be translated figuratively to keep it from being inerrant due to overwhelming scientific evidence against the idea of a 6000 year old planet.

I look forward to the Bible notes, tho; I used to use them all the time after venturing here for a while
XxGRECOxX
Level 15
Subtract from XxGRECOxX's ReputationAdd to XxGRECOxX's Reputation XxGRECOxX is a novice
01-23-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by muRda View Post
It does matter what he thinks; one of the guys mentioned was a Cardinal. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but in the instance of naming Mary the Blessed Virgin, PJPII had scholarly type dudes study the subject for years to make sure that proclaiming such a belief would be in accordance to Catholic teaching. Subjectivity only deals with how you view the different stances, not necessarily the objectivity of the stances themselves(don't know if this makes sense or is even a coherent thought).

The Bible can be infallible and inerrant and still be translated figuratively. In fact, it's necessary for the Creation Accounts to be translated figuratively to keep it from being inerrant due to overwhelming scientific evidence against the idea of a 6000 year old planet.

I look forward to the Bible notes, tho; I used to use them all the time after venturing here for a while
I f.cking left them. Tomorrow, hopefully. What I'm saying is If Luke interprets it literally then Christians must as well. Because how he interprets it must be the truth or error is in the Bible. Which is my point. Because it is proven that the earth is older than 6000 years and is likely that things didn't happen the way it says it did in Genesis. It is taken literally throughout the Bible. But the point is. Christian interpretation must agree with Biblical interpretation for them to believe the Bible is without error(If that makes sense).

It's not just about Catholic views though. Mainly im talking bout major denominations such as Presbyterian, Baptist, Methodist.

Edit: I know we can take it figuratively. The Bible doesn't though. The problem.
We apologize for the inconvenience

Last edited by XxGRECOxX; 01-23-2008 at 04:04 PM.