Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate
 
 
Display Modes Thread Tools
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
TooMuchButtHair's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California!
Posts: 3,659
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
#71
01-21-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by General AI View Post
Nope. The population of Christians who actually believe in a "young" earth is minuscule compared to the overall population. And I find it hard to believe that every single Christian you've ever met believes in a 6000 year old earth.
I believe 1/3 of the entire Christian population (in America) believes the Earth to be only 6,000 years old. The majority of Christians are willing to accept rational evidence, and thusly my 'problem' (scientifically speaking) is not with them. It's that pesky 1/3 that troubles me...
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
XxGRECOxX
Level 15
XxGRECOxX's Avatar
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 278
Subtract from XxGRECOxX's ReputationAdd to XxGRECOxX's Reputation XxGRECOxX is a novice
#72
01-21-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadPrism View Post
actually you're wrong there.
Where is Vrbas? I kinda want to know what he thinks. Am I really? seriously. I was pretty sure for the Bible to be true and accepted as the word of God then those must be denied. Would you mind explaining how thats not true? please. no attitude in that I promise. Legit question.
We apologize for the inconvenience

General AI
Eats Small Children
General AI's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Oh crap, I'm lost!
Posts: 3,022
Subtract from General AI's ReputationAdd to General AI's Reputation General AI is a novice
#73
01-21-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchButtHair View Post
I believe 1/3 of the entire Christian population (in America) believes the Earth to be only 6,000 years old. The majority of Christians are willing to accept rational evidence, and thusly my 'problem' (scientifically speaking) is not with them. It's that pesky 1/3 that troubles me...
Holy shit, 1/3!?!?!?

Wow.

What about The rest of the world?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuff
...you're a terrorist sympathizer. I'd rather be an idiot if that's the choice. At least I'd be a person, though stupid, who is at least on the right side of morality. God doesn't care if you're stupid or not, he does care if you are evil or not.
QuadPrism
Level 28
QuadPrism's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: did u check under ur bed?
Posts: 1,406
Subtract from QuadPrism's ReputationAdd to QuadPrism's Reputation QuadPrism is a novice
Send a message via AIM to QuadPrism
#74
01-21-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxGRECOxX View Post
Where is Vrbas? I kinda want to know what he thinks. Am I really? seriously. I was pretty sure for the Bible to be true and accepted as the word of God then those must be denied. Would you mind explaining how thats not true? please. no attitude in that I promise. Legit question.
http://www.cuttingedge.org/n1034.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evoluti...atholic_Church

according to the church we can believe in evolution if we believe in the ensoulment from God.
XxGRECOxX
Level 15
XxGRECOxX's Avatar
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 278
Subtract from XxGRECOxX's ReputationAdd to XxGRECOxX's Reputation XxGRECOxX is a novice
#75
01-21-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadPrism View Post
http://www.cuttingedge.org/n1034.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evoluti...atholic_Church

according to the church we can believe in evolution if we believe in the ensoulment from God.
I see. interesting. It seems as though that creates more problems. I know they believe in microevolution. Just not macroevolution. It may be allowed. I think if one believes in evolution and in the big bang(specifically the big bang) or anything deviating from the Genesis account then they deny the Christian Faith as a whole.

Genesis can be taken figuratively but there are major problems with that. My theology teacher explained this. I'll talk with him tomorrow and present his argument.

EDIT: Just because the church says it doesnt mean its right. The Catholic church seems corrupt anyway.
And seriously one guy said it. That means nothing. he doesnt even understand what he said. He was so old and screwed up. Im still trying to figure out what im arguing about. lol Im an atheist.
We apologize for the inconvenience


Last edited by XxGRECOxX; 01-21-2008 at 07:22 PM.
muRda
Godzilla vs. MLK
muRda's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,731
Subtract from muRda's ReputationAdd to muRda's Reputation muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000
#76
01-21-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxGRECOxX View Post
I was pretty sure for the Bible to be true and accepted as the word of God then those must be denied. Would you mind explaining how thats not true? please. no attitude in that I promise. Legit question.
Read that article I posted above. It's a quick, interesting read, and will answer your question.

Quote:
Genesis can be taken figuratively but there are major problems with that.
I think there is a bigger problem in putting aside tons of scientific evidence with a literal translation.
E Nomini Patri
Level 21
E Nomini Patri's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 566
Subtract from E Nomini Patri's ReputationAdd to E Nomini Patri's Reputation E Nomini Patri is a novice
Send a message via MSN to E Nomini Patri
#77
01-22-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muRda View Post
I think there is a bigger problem in putting aside tons of scientific evidence with a literal translation.
That is called Biblidolatry, where someone cannot distinguish doctrine from deity. Their beliefs rely completely on the word, so the word must itself be worshipped because their deity wouldn't exist otherwise. This in violation of the 3rd? commandment, thou shalt have no other gods before me. It also requires one to lie about factual information to maintain their belief. Lying for Jesus is blasphemy, the only sin God does not forgive. Peace.


Livin in the ATX sonnnn...
Graphic Design Portfolio | GT: RVG E Nomini | Youtube Channel
muRda
Godzilla vs. MLK
muRda's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,731
Subtract from muRda's ReputationAdd to muRda's Reputation muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000 muRda IS OVER 9000
#78
01-22-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Nomini Patri View Post
That is called Biblidolatry, where someone cannot distinguish doctrine from deity. Their beliefs rely completely on the word, so the word must itself be worshipped because their deity wouldn't exist otherwise. This in violation of the 3rd? commandment, thou shalt have no other gods before me. It also requires one to lie about factual information to maintain their belief. Lying for Jesus is blasphemy, the only sin God does not forgive. Peace.
I'm really at a loss at seeing where you're coming from with this. So you're saying that I'm establishing my beliefs in the word... but isn't that how Christianity basically works?

And what factual information am I lying about? The fact of how the words are written? Like I'm not trying to be a wiseass or anything, I just really don't see how it applies:\

Only problem I have with your post is mentioning how God doesn't forgive such and such a sin. If anything, I would think it be pride since the stories tell that Hell found a figurehead because of pride.
Vrbas
i'm around
Vrbas's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,548
Subtract from Vrbas's ReputationAdd to Vrbas's Reputation Vrbas is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Vrbas
#79
01-22-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxGRECOxX View Post
Where is Vrbas? I kinda want to know what he thinks. Am I really? seriously. I was pretty sure for the Bible to be true and accepted as the word of God then those must be denied. Would you mind explaining how thats not true? please. no attitude in that I promise. Legit question.
It's tough to say really. I thought about this for a while not long ago. Can you still be Christian and not believe in creation? I think so, but it doesn't make sense. It's like you are taking only the parts of the Bible you WANT to believe and apply them to your practicing faith. To me, that doesn't seem legit. But again, i'm not saying that if you believe in grace, the story of Jesus, and His death on the cross for the propitiation of God's wrath ALONG WITH evolution, that you aren't truly saved. To me it just doesn't seem like "real" faith/belief if you can just pick and choose.
E Nomini Patri
Level 21
E Nomini Patri's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 566
Subtract from E Nomini Patri's ReputationAdd to E Nomini Patri's Reputation E Nomini Patri is a novice
Send a message via MSN to E Nomini Patri
#80
01-22-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muRda View Post
I'm really at a loss at seeing where you're coming from with this. So you're saying that I'm establishing my beliefs in the word... but isn't that how Christianity basically works?
No no I'm just explaining what you said about ignoring science in favor of scripture, as in like people who claim the Earth is 6,000 years old etc because if they took the facts from science it would diminish their God somehow. That means they worship the scriptures because their God wouldn't exist without them. Biblidolatry.


Livin in the ATX sonnnn...
Graphic Design Portfolio | GT: RVG E Nomini | Youtube Channel
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off