Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate
 
 
Display Modes Thread Tools
JCAbernathy
Level 29
JCAbernathy's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,711
Subtract from JCAbernathy's ReputationAdd to JCAbernathy's Reputation JCAbernathy is a novice
#11
01-05-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkedAchilles View Post
Kansas had it added to their curriculum for a time.

Other places still teach it as well.
If that is a state's choice to teach creationism in its schools, its their decision. Now if it was a forceful thing, that would be different. It needs to be a decision by the voters of that state. You cannot simply say, "Creationism is stupid and people should wise up and stop being ignorant." Well first off, thats slander. Second, some people are happy with their belief of how things came to be, you and others should not be in power to deter that belief otherwise. Just because their principles are different from yours and doesn't follow this beloved "logic" yall so much love, doesn't mean they should have to conform to your beliefs.

But if I am wrong and Creationism is forcefully taught in schools without the regard of the parents/voters of that state having a voice in it, then it should be dealt with in a respectful matter. As oppose to having the Evolution Police bust in and terrorize those schools.

P.S. I believe in Evolution, I'm not against it being taught. I just think its a personal choice by the state, school, and peoples of that state. Thats all.

NG
poo-tee-weet?
NG's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 30,044
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via AIM to NG
#12
01-05-2008
Default

Um.

The only tolerable school settings I can imagine where teaching Creationism would be justified are in religious schools, whose existence I disagree with to begin with, and college level philosophies as an alternative argument/theory to the happening of existence as we know it. Anything in the public setting prior to college is totally inappropriate.

At the ages students are in public school, their brains are easily influenced and are prone to take what's being taught without a single grain of sand. Teaching creationism, even if you tried to instill the fact that it's an unsupported theory scientifically and mostly supported by those of religious bias -- something you'd be hard pressed to emphasize and get through some of the thicker skulls mammals -- is like teaching students about Santa Clause when his existence is only supported by the naive.

Where's that church-state separation?
Busy, busy, busy
MarkedAchilles
MarkedAchilles's Avatar
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Posts: 8,298
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
#13
01-05-2008
Default

Religious beliefs, are taught in religous institutions.

Not in public schools.

That is where public education is done that does not show any bias towards any religous institution. Thus the seperation of church and state.

Creationism = Religous Belief, not Science, thus not taught in public schools. It is also absolute crap too based on nothing even close to the truth and for that reason, totally ignoring that it is religous dogma, it should also not be taught in public schools.

It was struck down because of that in Kansas, the religous right were the ones that got it taught in school in the first place there.

That is a pretty basic concept that I would of though anyone has the mental ability to understand.

People have the choice everywhere to learn what they want, if they want their children to be left behind in science and life, they can send them to a private school or church and tell them that creationism is something close to a viable answer for what we see in life. But not in public schools where we have to prepare our children for the real world.


-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section


Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621
[]D[][]V[][]D
Level 28
[]D[][]V[][]D's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dekalb,Illinois
Posts: 1,057
Subtract from []D[][]V[][]D's ReputationAdd to []D[][]V[][]D's Reputation []D[][]V[][]D is a novice
#14
01-06-2008
Default

Depends on what kind of creation you are talking about. Now there is the new earth creation which says the earth is 6000 years old, but there is also old world creation which bassically suports everything evolution says but just that god started it and guided it. I dont see why the second couldnt be mentioned in schools.


MarkedAchilles
MarkedAchilles's Avatar
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Posts: 8,298
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
#15
01-06-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by []D[][]V[][]D View Post
Depends on what kind of creation you are talking about. Now there is the new earth creation which says the earth is 6000 years old, but there is also old world creation which bassically suports everything evolution says but just that god started it and guided it. I dont see why the second couldnt be mentioned in schools.
I am well versed in all of them.

It is religiously biased like every one of them, and not based in science or facts.

If it was a religous class, then yes, otherwise . . . no it must stay in churches and other religous institutions.

Sadly, the real reason things like this are not taught in our schools is that they are religously biased towards christianity and a few other smaller religions. The reason the actually should not be taught in our schools is the part where they are not based on truth. But our laws do not prevent people from teaching their kids anything parents want, that is part of our basic freedoms and rightfully so.

In this case there are two reasons for it to not be in our public schools, it should just be reversed as of priority in those reasons.


-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section


Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621

Last edited by MarkedAchilles; 01-06-2008 at 12:21 AM.
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
TooMuchButtHair's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California!
Posts: 3,659
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
#16
01-06-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAbernathy View Post
What school do you go to? If I remember correctly, the only place Creationism was "taught" was church. Like its always been for me.

You're just taking another negative stand against religion to fuel your rage towards those that do believe. Lay off.
None of your posts in this entire thread are worth a fucking thing. This is a stand against ignorance and the illegality of the very idea of teaching creationism in schools. Presenting religious nonsense (and that's exactly what creationism is) as fact and trying to get it taught in school is not only absurd, but it's illegal.

Without even the smallest amount of evidence to support it, it certainly cannot/should not be taught in schools. If you'd care to provide some evidence for it, I'd be happy to examine it.

Creationism seriously is the biggest fraud of our time, and I feel really sorry for anyone that actually paid for material that would help them learn it/teach it. It's seriously bogus, and makes me ashamed to classify myself, biologically, as being in the same taxonomic group. I refuse to believe that people like Kent Hovind are on the same genetic playing field as I am. Sure, he's charasmatic, but his thought resembles what mine might if I decided a gallon of paint thinner would make a tasty afternoon snack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [
D[][]V[][]D]Depends on what kind of creation you are talking about. Now there is the new earth creation which says the earth is 6000 years old, but there is also old world creation which bassically suports everything evolution says but just that god started it and guided it. I dont see why the second couldnt be mentioned in schools.
Like MarkedAchillies said, that's teaching religious ideology, and it's not supported by evidence in any way. It has no place in school (let alone a science class room).
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
JCAbernathy
Level 29
JCAbernathy's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,711
Subtract from JCAbernathy's ReputationAdd to JCAbernathy's Reputation JCAbernathy is a novice
#17
01-07-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchButtHair View Post
None of your posts in this entire thread are worth a f.cking thing. This is a stand against ignorance and the illegality of the very idea of teaching creationism in schools. Presenting religious nonsense (and that's exactly what creationism is) as fact and trying to get it taught in school is not only absurd, but it's illegal.

Without even the smallest amount of evidence to support it, it certainly cannot/should not be taught in schools. If you'd care to provide some evidence for it, I'd be happy to examine it.

Creationism seriously is the biggest fraud of our time, and I feel really sorry for anyone that actually paid for material that would help them learn it/teach it. It's seriously bogus, and makes me ashamed to classify myself, biologically, as being in the same taxonomic group. I refuse to believe that people like Kent Hovind are on the same genetic playing field as I am. Sure, he's charasmatic, but his thought resembles what mine might if I decided a gallon of paint thinner would make a tasty afternoon snack.



Like MarkedAchillies said, that's teaching religious ideology, and it's not supported by evidence in any way. It has no place in school (let alone a science class room).
You hate Christians and the belief in a higher being. So any point made by you regarding religion, I disregard because they are fueled by nothing more than your hate. You have problems when in comes to accepting people wanting to believe in a religion. It is not your life. Does this affect you? Are you going to class this very day and being bombarded with Creationism ideology? If not, stfu you pompous atheist bastard.

tom31deecc FTW
Level 32
tom31deecc FTW's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wales, UK.
Posts: 2,489
Subtract from tom31deecc FTW's ReputationAdd to tom31deecc FTW's Reputation tom31deecc FTW is a novice
Send a message via AIM to tom31deecc FTW Send a message via MSN to tom31deecc FTW
#18
01-07-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAbernathy View Post
You hate Christians and the belief in a higher being. So any point made by you regarding religion, I disregard because they are fueled by nothing more than your hate. You have problems when in comes to accepting people wanting to believe in a religion. It is not your life. Does this affect you? Are you going to class this very day and being bombarded with Creationism ideology? If not, stfu you pompous atheist bastard.
You know what? I was going to answer this but I want to see this answered by TMBH lol. But seriously, that was fucking pathetic.
MarkedAchilles
MarkedAchilles's Avatar
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Posts: 8,298
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
#19
01-07-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAbernathy View Post
You hate Christians and the belief in a higher being. So any point made by you regarding religion, I disregard because they are fueled by nothing more than your hate. You have problems when in comes to accepting people wanting to believe in a religion. It is not your life. Does this affect you? Are you going to class this very day and being bombarded with Creationism ideology? If not, stfu you pompous atheist bastard.
The religious view of others do affect people that don't have those views all the time.

Think about it, you should be able to make a very long list by yourself without us making it for you.


-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section


Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621
Prowl
Amazingly Randy
Prowl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bham
Posts: 17,168
Subtract from Prowl's ReputationAdd to Prowl's Reputation Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary
#20
01-07-2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAbernathy View Post
If not, stfu you pompous atheist bastard.
Are you saying atheist in a disrespectful manner? as an insult?

THAT I have a huge problem with, sir.
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off