Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
lookinfor1v1
Level 28
Subtract from lookinfor1v1's ReputationAdd to lookinfor1v1's Reputation lookinfor1v1 is a novice
12-07-2007

Sorry, but i beleive he was describing Christian teachings there.
If I misunderstood you, and you were not in fact scrutinizing Christianity based on your version of Christian teachings, then you mustve made your message pretty unclear.

II JumpiN II

It amazes me to find an intelligent person who fights against something which he does not at all believe exists.
Mohandas Gandhi

Atheism is a crutch for those who cannot bear the reality of God.
Tom Stoppard
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
12-07-2007

Your use of fallacies in this thread has done a disservice to logic, and to humanity as a whole.
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
lookinfor1v1
Level 28
Subtract from lookinfor1v1's ReputationAdd to lookinfor1v1's Reputation lookinfor1v1 is a novice
12-07-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by davobrosia View Post
Tu quoque fallacy. You lost when you invoked Godwin, so this whole thing is irrelevant.

"The rule does not make any statement as to whether any particular reference or comparison to Hitler or the Nazis might be appropriate, but only asserts that one arising is increasingly probable. It is precisely because such a comparison or reference may sometimes be appropriate, Godwin has argued[4] that overuse of Nazi and Hitler comparisons should be avoided."

Go back a few pages, and you'll see it was him who began the discussion which was completely irrelevant to the topic we were addressing.
So in fact, it was him who commited the Fallacy by saying "you fucking NAZI", not me.

II JumpiN II

It amazes me to find an intelligent person who fights against something which he does not at all believe exists.
Mohandas Gandhi

Tom Stoppard
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
12-07-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookinfor1v1 View Post
"The rule does not make any statement as to whether any particular reference or comparison to Hitler or the Nazis might be appropriate, but only asserts that one arising is increasingly probable. It is precisely because such a comparison or reference may sometimes be appropriate, Godwin has argued[4] that overuse of Nazi and Hitler comparisons should be avoided."

Go back a few pages, and you'll see it was him who began the discussion which was completely irrelevant to the topic we were addressing.
So in fact, it was him who commited the Fallacy by saying "you f.cking NAZI", not me.
You moron. From that same article, on the same page:
Quote:
However, Godwin's law itself can be abused, as a distraction or diversion, that fallaciously miscasts an opponent's argument as hyperbole, especially if the comparisons made by the argument are actually appropriate. A 2005 Reason magazine article argued that Godwin's law is often misused to ridicule even valid comparisons.
It's been clearly demonstrated that TMBH's comparison was valid and relevant. Yours, however, was a total non sequitur and thus the true invocation of Godwin. That's why you fail.

I'm totally dumbfounded that someone could be so fucking dense.
Spoiler!
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
Subtract from The Colostomizer's ReputationAdd to The Colostomizer's Reputation The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000
12-07-2007

That's what you get when parents read to their kids from the Bible instead of The Golden Compass.
lookinfor1v1
Level 28
12-07-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by davobrosia View Post
You moron. From that same article, on the same page:
It's been clearly demonstrated that TMBH's comparison was valid and relevant. Yours, however, was a total non sequitur and thus the true invocation of Godwin. That's why you fail.

I'm totally dumbfounded that someone could be so f.cking dense.
So calling someone a fucking NAZI based on the falsehood that I had said "all non-Christian books shoul be published", is perfectly okay
I never held that to be true, and never will.
So under the circumstances, it was completely inappropriate to make such a comparison.

II JumpiN II

Mohandas Gandhi

Tom Stoppard

Last edited by lookinfor1v1; 12-07-2007 at 05:53 PM.
Knoxy
>
Subtract from Knoxy's ReputationAdd to Knoxy's Reputation Knoxy IS OVER 9000 Knoxy IS OVER 9000 Knoxy IS OVER 9000 Knoxy IS OVER 9000 Knoxy IS OVER 9000 Knoxy IS OVER 9000 Knoxy IS OVER 9000 Knoxy IS OVER 9000 Knoxy IS OVER 9000
12-07-2007

I think he's a front runner for the next host of The View, however.
Spoiler!
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
12-07-2007

Quote:
So calling someone a f.cking NAZI based on the falsehood that I had said "all non-Christian books shoul be published", is perfectly okay
I never held that to be true, and never will.
So under the circumstances, it was completely inappropriate to make such a statment.
Do you even know what a comparison means, or are you just a walking-talking slippery slope?
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
lookinfor1v1
Level 28
12-07-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colostomizer View Post
That's what you get when parents read to their kids from the Bible instead of The Golden Compass.
I'm not sure what you mean.
Youre use of sarcasm is just stupid.

II JumpiN II

Mohandas Gandhi

Tom Stoppard
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
12-07-2007

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean.
Youre use of sarcasm is just stupid.
HOLY FUCK IRONY EXPLOSION.
Spoiler!