Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
11-14-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid View Post
I feel bad for posting this, because my mom and grandma are pretty religious.

But the way I think of it is religion is like time. Neither exist, they were both made to make life easier.

Now I want to say I believe in God, but I can't.
Time exists as one of the dimensions on our Universe. Religion exists too - however, you cannot with any certainty say that god exists . God, as described by any existing religion, almost certainly does not exist.
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
NG
poo-tee-weet?
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via AIM to NG
11-14-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4WM4 View Post
So there is no heaven or hell? Where do we go when we die?
Depends where they bury you.
Busy, busy, busy
WicKeD ASSaSiN
The Dude Abides
Subtract from WicKeD ASSaSiN's ReputationAdd to WicKeD ASSaSiN's Reputation WicKeD ASSaSiN is a novice
Send a message via AIM to WicKeD ASSaSiN
11-14-2007

It would be interesting to know why some people choose not to believe in God. I'm willing to bet that a large portion of Atheists were Christian(or any religion that branches off the Bible) before they gave up religion. It's so obvious that the Bible has been influenced by the minds of humans; from the numerous contradictions and solutions it gives that don't old up to science anymore. But I'm not trying to bash the Bible, as a Muslim, I believe it was a holy book that has been changed. Even if you don't think he exists, there have been several studies proving the that faith has profound healing powers on the mind(don't make me cite sources). And if you say it's what causes all the strife in the world it doesn't, our own flaws do.

I'm still waiting for an explanation on the flaws of Pascal's wager.

Solid
Level 48
Subtract from Solid's ReputationAdd to Solid's Reputation Solid is a novice
11-14-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchButtHair View Post
Time exists as one of the dimensions on our Universe. Religion exists too - however, you cannot with any certainty say that god exists . God, as described by any existing religion, almost certainly does not exist.
Describe time. Is time just the motion of our planet around the sun?

And of course, religion exists, but it was created.

I'm dumb on this whole topic. I've just had things in my head now for some time that I want to talk about.

Last edited by Solid; 11-14-2007 at 02:38 PM.
NG
poo-tee-weet?
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
11-14-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by WicKeD ASSaSiN View Post
It would be interesting to know why some people choose not to believe in God. I'm willing to bet that a large portion of Atheists were Christian(or any religion that branches off the Bible) before they gave up religion. It's so obvious that the Bible has been influenced by the minds of humans; from the numerous contradictions and solutions it gives that don't old up to science anymore. But I'm not trying to bash the Bible, as a Muslim, I believe it was a holy book that has been changed. Even if you don't think he exists, there have been several studies proving the that faith has profound healing powers on the mind(don't make me cite sources). And if you say it's what causes all the strife in the world it doesn't, our own flaws do.

I'm still waiting for an explanation on the flaws of Pascal's wager.
Here's a flaw in Pascal's Wager - If you're believing for the sake of going to heaven, it's a greedy belief to have faith for the sake of your own reward. Furthermore, if you're believing just because you think it's a better idea, you're gambling with faith and putting all your chips on Red. God wants you to KNOW he exists, not just say it because it's a safer bet for your eternal soul.

I was Taoist before I gave up religion.
Busy, busy, busy
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
11-14-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid View Post
Describe time.
In a debate forum, if you want to show that I'm wrong, you have to show that the person with an overwhelming amount of evidence supporting them is wrong. I should have to prove the positive, but physicists world wide agree that time exists. You can slow it down and speed it up, but it exists. Time dialation is a very real thing.

Quote:
And of course, religion exists, but in my opinion, it was created.
Of course it was created. It's existence doesn't make it true - that's all I was saying.
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
11-14-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
Here's a flaw in Pascal's Wager - If you're believing for the sake of going to heaven, it's a greedy belief to have faith for the sake of your own reward. Furthermore, if you're believing just because you think it's a better idea, you're gambling with faith and putting all your chips on Red. God wants you to KNOW he exists, not just say it because it's a safer bet for your eternal soul.

I was Taoist before I gave up religion.
And, of course, an all knowing god would know that you're just believing in it for the sake of being safe. Pascal's Wager is no good. Anyone who believe's it's rational is a bit confused when it comes to the meaning of an all knowing god.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
. . .
WicKeD ASSaSiN
The Dude Abides
Subtract from WicKeD ASSaSiN's ReputationAdd to WicKeD ASSaSiN's Reputation WicKeD ASSaSiN is a novice
Send a message via AIM to WicKeD ASSaSiN
11-14-2007

Ahh I see, but I will come back with another argument in a few minutes, just you wait!

NG
poo-tee-weet?
11-14-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by WicKeD ASSaSiN View Post
Ahh I see, but I will come back with another argument in a few minutes, just you wait!
Sure. I'll go eat some mexican food to prepare to shit all over that argument too.

FAJITAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Busy, busy, busy
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
11-14-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
Sure. I'll go eat some mexican food to prepare to sh.t all over that argument too.

FAJITAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Steak makes me shit like no other substance can. I actually thought I prolapsed once. It was fuckin scary.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
. . .