Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate
 
 
Display Modes Thread Tools
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
TooMuchButtHair's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California!
Posts: 3,659
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
#101
11-14-2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid View Post
I feel bad for posting this, because my mom and grandma are pretty religious.

But the way I think of it is religion is like time. Neither exist, they were both made to make life easier.

Now I want to say I believe in God, but I can't.
Time exists as one of the dimensions on our Universe. Religion exists too - however, you cannot with any certainty say that god exists . God, as described by any existing religion, almost certainly does not exist.
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
NG
poo-tee-weet?
NG's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 30,044
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via AIM to NG
#102
11-14-2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4WM4 View Post
So there is no heaven or hell? Where do we go when we die?
Depends where they bury you.
Busy, busy, busy
WicKeD ASSaSiN
The Dude Abides
WicKeD ASSaSiN's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Infinite Possibilities
Posts: 1,681
Subtract from WicKeD ASSaSiN's ReputationAdd to WicKeD ASSaSiN's Reputation WicKeD ASSaSiN is a novice
Send a message via AIM to WicKeD ASSaSiN
#103
11-14-2007
Default

It would be interesting to know why some people choose not to believe in God. I'm willing to bet that a large portion of Atheists were Christian(or any religion that branches off the Bible) before they gave up religion. It's so obvious that the Bible has been influenced by the minds of humans; from the numerous contradictions and solutions it gives that don't old up to science anymore. But I'm not trying to bash the Bible, as a Muslim, I believe it was a holy book that has been changed. Even if you don't think he exists, there have been several studies proving the that faith has profound healing powers on the mind(don't make me cite sources). And if you say it's what causes all the strife in the world it doesn't, our own flaws do.

I'm still waiting for an explanation on the flaws of Pascal's wager.


Solid
Level 48
Solid's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 7,521
Subtract from Solid's ReputationAdd to Solid's Reputation Solid is a novice
#104
11-14-2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchButtHair View Post
Time exists as one of the dimensions on our Universe. Religion exists too - however, you cannot with any certainty say that god exists . God, as described by any existing religion, almost certainly does not exist.
Describe time. Is time just the motion of our planet around the sun?

And of course, religion exists, but it was created.

I'm dumb on this whole topic. I've just had things in my head now for some time that I want to talk about.

Last edited by Solid; 11-14-2007 at 02:38 PM.
NG
poo-tee-weet?
NG's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 30,044
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via AIM to NG
#105
11-14-2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WicKeD ASSaSiN View Post
It would be interesting to know why some people choose not to believe in God. I'm willing to bet that a large portion of Atheists were Christian(or any religion that branches off the Bible) before they gave up religion. It's so obvious that the Bible has been influenced by the minds of humans; from the numerous contradictions and solutions it gives that don't old up to science anymore. But I'm not trying to bash the Bible, as a Muslim, I believe it was a holy book that has been changed. Even if you don't think he exists, there have been several studies proving the that faith has profound healing powers on the mind(don't make me cite sources). And if you say it's what causes all the strife in the world it doesn't, our own flaws do.

I'm still waiting for an explanation on the flaws of Pascal's wager.
Here's a flaw in Pascal's Wager - If you're believing for the sake of going to heaven, it's a greedy belief to have faith for the sake of your own reward. Furthermore, if you're believing just because you think it's a better idea, you're gambling with faith and putting all your chips on Red. God wants you to KNOW he exists, not just say it because it's a safer bet for your eternal soul.

I was Taoist before I gave up religion.
Busy, busy, busy
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
TooMuchButtHair's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California!
Posts: 3,659
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
#106
11-14-2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid View Post
Describe time.
In a debate forum, if you want to show that I'm wrong, you have to show that the person with an overwhelming amount of evidence supporting them is wrong. I should have to prove the positive, but physicists world wide agree that time exists. You can slow it down and speed it up, but it exists. Time dialation is a very real thing.

Quote:
And of course, religion exists, but in my opinion, it was created.
Of course it was created. It's existence doesn't make it true - that's all I was saying.
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
TooMuchButtHair's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California!
Posts: 3,659
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
#107
11-14-2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
Here's a flaw in Pascal's Wager - If you're believing for the sake of going to heaven, it's a greedy belief to have faith for the sake of your own reward. Furthermore, if you're believing just because you think it's a better idea, you're gambling with faith and putting all your chips on Red. God wants you to KNOW he exists, not just say it because it's a safer bet for your eternal soul.

I was Taoist before I gave up religion.
And, of course, an all knowing god would know that you're just believing in it for the sake of being safe. Pascal's Wager is no good. Anyone who believe's it's rational is a bit confused when it comes to the meaning of an all knowing god.
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
WicKeD ASSaSiN
The Dude Abides
WicKeD ASSaSiN's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Infinite Possibilities
Posts: 1,681
Subtract from WicKeD ASSaSiN's ReputationAdd to WicKeD ASSaSiN's Reputation WicKeD ASSaSiN is a novice
Send a message via AIM to WicKeD ASSaSiN
#108
11-14-2007
Default

Ahh I see, but I will come back with another argument in a few minutes, just you wait!


NG
poo-tee-weet?
NG's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 30,044
Subtract from NG's ReputationAdd to NG's Reputation NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom NG wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
Send a message via AIM to NG
#109
11-14-2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WicKeD ASSaSiN View Post
Ahh I see, but I will come back with another argument in a few minutes, just you wait!
Sure. I'll go eat some mexican food to prepare to shit all over that argument too.

FAJITAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Busy, busy, busy
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
TooMuchButtHair's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California!
Posts: 3,659
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
#110
11-14-2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
Sure. I'll go eat some mexican food to prepare to sh.t all over that argument too.

FAJITAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Steak makes me shit like no other substance can. I actually thought I prolapsed once. It was fuckin scary.
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off