Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
Colby
Level 29
Subtract from Colby's ReputationAdd to Colby's Reputation Colby is stuck in campaign mode
10-19-2007
Default atheists

I'm wondering why you are atheist. I was talking to someone about religion and why they believe in god and he brang this up. The only populated planet is earth, earth rotates on a 23 degree axis, the only liquid that expands when frozen is water, how complex and detailed everything is cant be just big bang or chance.

Can you guys give me your stance on these points.

Thanks
MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
10-19-2007

No evidence for god. . . . duh.

I was watching this thing on the History Channel about commets and how they have found organic matter in the dust and how a commet barage corresponds with the start of life on Earth.

As the Comet Theory of the origin of life is my second favorite one behind something that would resemble the Miller Experiment, but it does push it up a bit. I don't keep up with the most recent research of space and stuff so sometimes I get my info pretty late via television.

Weird stuff.

Kinda lends to the whole Star-Trek universe where they go all over the universe and all the intelligent species, or most of them, are humanoid.

But I digest, on purpose, as this thread has been made a lot.

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621
CraftyVertan
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from CraftyVertan's ReputationAdd to CraftyVertan's Reputation CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000 CraftyVertan IS OVER 9000
10-19-2007

Well, here is something that a good friend told me to think about.

For all we know, the universe has been around forever. So, there would be infinite chances for life to be created just the way it has been on this planet. It was just all random chance.

Also, who says this is the only planet with life on it?

"im pretty sure when i said, was because its the same word. not a different word. then the meaning's of the word... but okay"
Prowl
Amazingly Randy
Subtract from Prowl's ReputationAdd to Prowl's Reputation Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary Prowl is legendary
10-19-2007

To another planet somewhere in the universe...all the things are Earth could be extremely simplistic.
Dark Energy
Level 11
Subtract from Dark Energy's ReputationAdd to Dark Energy's Reputation Dark Energy is a novice
10-19-2007

Its just evolution.

I'm an athiest as well, there is no proof of god.
AlfabetSoop
Level 26
Subtract from AlfabetSoop's ReputationAdd to AlfabetSoop's Reputation AlfabetSoop is a novice
Send a message via AIM to AlfabetSoop Send a message via MSN to AlfabetSoop
10-19-2007

I'm atheist because...

1. There is no proof of a higher power, and everything around us follows specific rules alloted by scientific discoveries.

2. Nothing good has ever come out of religion. More people have died over religion than all diseases and viruses and sicknesses combined. If you're only a good person so that you're not punished in Hell, then you're not really that good of a person, now are you? I don't need the threat of never-ending punishment to make me a good person.

If you get into a religious debate with an atheist, be weary asking the question: "Well, how'd everything get here?"

This is how the discussion goes after I get that question...

Guy: "Well, how'd everything get here?"
Me: "Who knows? Nobody. Who said it had to be made? I'm happy just thinking it's always been here."
Guy: "Something had to have created it all. Nothing can just be there without being created."
Me: "What or who created your god, then? You just said that nothing can just be there without being created. Is there an inifinite string of gods who just make other gods?"
Guy: *sits in silence*
--------------
--------------

::: Stole this from Muffin. Happiest moment of my life... :::
Darth Hulk
Level 34
Subtract from Darth Hulk's ReputationAdd to Darth Hulk's Reputation Darth Hulk is on the rise to fame Darth Hulk is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to Darth Hulk Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Hulk Send a message via Skype™ to Darth Hulk
10-19-2007

I'm an atheist because as it is the default position, I have no reason to be anything else.

TMNT
AlfabetSoop
Level 26
Subtract from AlfabetSoop's ReputationAdd to AlfabetSoop's Reputation AlfabetSoop is a novice
Send a message via AIM to AlfabetSoop Send a message via MSN to AlfabetSoop
10-19-2007

Well, technically Hulk, that's agnosticism. You're just in the middle.

I, personally, along with most atheists, believe that placing your beliefs upon a god or higher power is a bad idea in general and leads to leading a mislead life.

It's almost to the point that I'm starting to compare those who are devout in their religion to drug addicts. They both feel like they NEED something in their lives to make them feel better, to make them feel whole. Wars fueled by religion have killed far more than drug addiction ever will, however...
--------------
--------------

::: Stole this from Muffin. Happiest moment of my life... :::

Last edited by AlfabetSoop; 10-19-2007 at 01:01 PM.
TooMuchButtHair
Satisfying women
Subtract from TooMuchButtHair's ReputationAdd to TooMuchButtHair's Reputation TooMuchButtHair is a novice
Send a message via AIM to TooMuchButtHair
10-19-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkedAchilles View Post
No evidence for god. . . . duh.
I was watching this thing on the History Channel about commets and how they have found organic matter in the dust and how a commet barage corresponds with the start of life on Earth.[/QUOTE]

Well, organic matter could certainly have been brought to Earth by comets, but even then comets aren't necessary. You and I both know that fairly complex organic compounds form in the absence of life according to a fixed set of physical laws. It's teh physical chem -ohs no!

Quote:
As the Comet Theory of the origin of life is my second favorite one behind something that would resemble the Miller Experiment, but it does push it up a bit. I don't keep up with the most recent research of space and stuff so sometimes I get my info pretty late via television.

Weird stuff.
I tend to think, and it's supported by thermodynamics, that life first took shape around volcanic vents underwater. The energy needed to form very complex things was abundant.

Quote:
Kinda lends to the whole Star-Trek universe where they go all over the universe and all the intelligent species, or most of them, are humanoid.
The one thing that really bugs me about a lot of sci-fi is how aliens are depicted. Who the hell says they'd look anything remotely like us?

Quote:
But I digest, on purpose, as this thread has been made a lot.
My digestion occurs only when I drink enough rat blood.

Anyway, my rationale for being an atheist is based strictly on what Carl Sagan once said, "extraordinary claimis require extraordinary evidence". If you're going to claim that god exists, and that it created our Universe 6,000 years ago, you need a hell of a lot of evidence, however, those of faith have absolutely none. All availible evidence dictates not only that our Universe is many billions of years old, but it also dictates that every major religion in existence is wrong.

The quote in my signature also does justice to my rationale.
The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.
-Thomas Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
. . .
Chimpanzee (our closest living relative) is a well known homosexual animal.. . .
QuadPrism
Level 28
Subtract from QuadPrism's ReputationAdd to QuadPrism's Reputation QuadPrism is a novice
Send a message via AIM to QuadPrism
10-19-2007

those of faith have absolutely none.[/QUOTE]

Well i hope you realize that you are a person of a great amount of faith without any real proof to support it.