Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum

Display Modes Thread Tools
Wingman
Level 28
Subtract from Wingman's ReputationAdd to Wingman's Reputation Wingman is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Wingman
02-12-2009
Default Do humans have free will?

Determinism seems to breach the so called free will because all things you do have been theologically determined by the supreme being. If determinism have all humans programmed like a computer operator does with computers, what happens to free will?

The is no doubt in all aspects, some people even think that all man's action is determined by his environment.

What is free will?

My View:

Value can only be built upon values, for we only accept values after we have judged them favorably, and that process of judging is not possible without a set of values to operate as a yardstick. By extension of this logic, we must conclude that some values are innate, as without this core set of values, no other values would have been possible.

Now these values are the will, as will is our motivation to act, and we do not act for any other reason than value fulfillment.

Also, if we are to consider the concept of freedom, we will certainly establish it as a state of sovereignty, of self-control.

So, for there to exist a free will, it must be a motivation entirely controlled by the individual who possesses them, and as such must be a product of values over which the individual is sovereign.

With it being stated that there exists an innate set of values that are the root for all of our motivations, and that only those who control their motivations possess free will, we can define two possibilities, those who are self-creators and those who do not possess free will.

Since it is plain that no person is a self-creator, we can say that no person exists that possesses a free will.

Flame. Discuss. Do whatever. just need some insight for class
live free
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
02-12-2009

FOrgive typos because i"M a bit drunk.

Determinism allows free will because we aren't aware and can't ever become aware (see chaos theory) of the future with absolute certainty.
Spoiler!
davobrosia
Ask Z for $50
Subtract from davobrosia's ReputationAdd to davobrosia's Reputation davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000 davobrosia IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to davobrosia
02-12-2009

read some FOucault and Kierkegaard adn Sartre
Spoiler!
SyKaNe
Level 35
Subtract from SyKaNe's ReputationAdd to SyKaNe's Reputation SyKaNe is a novice
02-12-2009

Do you have the free will to create this thread?
DECLINE OF CIVILIZATION

Cheehwawa
Level 14
Subtract from Cheehwawa's ReputationAdd to Cheehwawa's Reputation Cheehwawa is a novice
02-12-2009

If God is all-knowing we cannot possibly have free will. But there's no God, so we do have free will.
GAMERTAG: Cheehwawa
Add me for customs. I play all kinds, from MLG to Tremors to Infection.

Fileshare: Linkage
Check out and rate my files, please!

Wingman
Level 28
Subtract from Wingman's ReputationAdd to Wingman's Reputation Wingman is a novice
02-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheehwawa View Post
If God is all-knowing we cannot possibly have free will. But there's no God, so we do have free will.

Any support? or are you just going off what you perceive. Perceptions prove god does not exist. However perception is not credible. It can be easily swayed by biases currently set in the mind. If one chooses to see it as a coincidence instead of an act of god. one will believe it as a coincidence.

Reason proves that it does. What started it all? a Prime Creator/s correct?

By many definitions:

Prime Creator/s (thing/s who started everything) = God or many gods

But this is not a religion debate. this is about philosophy and the pursuit of free will.

Stay on topic
live free

Last edited by Wingman; 02-12-2009 at 11:06 PM.
KNIGHTSPAWN555
Level 33
Subtract from KNIGHTSPAWN555's ReputationAdd to KNIGHTSPAWN555's Reputation KNIGHTSPAWN555 is a novice
02-13-2009

Yes, we have free will, without a doubt.

I chose to call Davo a faoggot so I will: Davo you are a homosexual.
See? Free will.

I'm just kidding though.
GT --> Lacrimosa555

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffy412 View Post
Well I uhhh.....a while back when I would be home alone I would role play with my stuffed animals. Like in a sexual way. I would dress them up in my clothes and play strip games with them like strip poker and strip dice games and take their clothes off when they lost. But for some reason we all lost at the same time and I would roll around in them and jack off. Yea that's f..king weird isn't it? *regrets writing this*
^^
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!
josh1337
Level 39
Subtract from josh1337's ReputationAdd to josh1337's Reputation josh1337 is on the rise to fame josh1337 is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to josh1337 Send a message via Skype™ to josh1337
02-13-2009

I think we have free will as a river has the free will to flow in the direction it flows.

Mind-Brain determinism-
Each mental or conscious event, including each choosing or deciding, is in nomic connection with an associated neural event. The neural event by itself or together with some other non-mental thing necessitated the mental one. That is, since the non-mental thing happened, whatever else had been happening, the mental event would still have happened as it did.

Initiation Determinism-
The mental event and the neural event were an effect of the causal sequence, whose initial causal circumstance had in it early neural and bodily events and also certain environmental events - no mental events.

Action Determinism-
Each action, in a general sense, is the effect of a causal sequence whose initial circumstances included the right active intention.

When the you have a chain of causations extending to the beginning of time (weather you beleive in a big bang or a deity) you have a lack of free will in a sense.

[M3] .................[M4]
[N3]-----------> [N4]-----------> A
..........E2--^.................B1--^

This is a crappy ascii drawing but basically:
M3 (mental event 3) and N3 (nueral event 3) are on psychoneural pair. This pair combines with an environmental event E2 creating a causal circumstance. This triggers M4 (mental event 4) and N4 (nueral event 4) which are linked biologically. M4 N4 together with B1 (bodily event 1) cause action A.

Is action A your choice? Not necessarily, but it is exactly what your mind and brain "want" to do.

The model for free-will looks simillar but has a strange addition:

-------------------(SELF)------------------------------->
M3...............M4............................... ...A
N3...............N4............................... ....^

M3 and N3 are as before however they do not CAUSE M4 (which is linked with N4). Mental event 3 occurs with nueral event 3. Then something originated by your SELF leads to M4 and linked N4. That would be a choice. Then M4/N4 causes action A. This model makes sure that M4 is not necessiated by N3 as before. The SELF somehow influences M4 on its own but can't really be understood how it is linked to each bodily process. This doesn't make sense to me.

This post is all over the place lol. I can try to explain the nueroscience behind this idea tomorrow if anybody thinks this is logical.

And I just googled some stuff and found further reading for OP if you want to see different explanations of determinism and free will: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~uctytho/dfwIntroIndex.htm

Last edited by josh1337; 02-13-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Sniperion
Level 28
Subtract from Sniperion's ReputationAdd to Sniperion's Reputation Sniperion is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Sniperion
02-13-2009

We don't have free will. Almost everything we do is restricted by some sort. If there was free will there would be no laws.
BeLieVe

Originally Posted by iTz_MikE
whos megan fox?

Wingman
Level 28
02-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperion View Post
We don't have free will. Almost everything we do is restricted by some sort. If there was free will there would be no laws.

How so?
i support your point but clarify.

when you say "if there was free will there would be no laws"

you actually prove the point of someone who says free will exists.
because if everything relied on "fate" then why would we need laws. when something bad is going to happen any way.

I agree with you narrow your focus.

kind of a strawman theory.
live free