Halo 2 Forum > Halo Franchise > Halo Videos > THF Movie Competition 2010

Display Modes Thread Tools
StObrist
Level 28
Subtract from StObrist's ReputationAdd to StObrist's Reputation StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin'
07-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGTaLiTy View Post
-Soundtrack; never heard anything like it before in a Halo video

-Consistent use of distortion filters and blurs created a very distinct and original look, especially during certain sections.

-Half-cutting between hud and no hud @ 50 seconds (never seen that before)

-Very abrupt and almost disorienting quick cutting, which worked because of the mood of the song

-Having the main title at the end of the video

-Slight camera wiggle during the first clip was cool, never seen a constant camera sway during an entire first person clip before, made it look like the guy was holding a camera.

Those are what stood out to me. If someone asked me what kind of video VVV was, I'd probably call it experimental because of how fresh and bold some of the ideas and soundtrack were.
It's obvious editing was used to create it's originality, so inversely certain gameplay originalities in mine should be bulleted.

-Intro soundtrack; Mellow instrumental with audio from an Eminem interview, not random though, I chose to use it to convey my thoughts about my own videos as well as let the viewer know they're in for something different.

-First clip; Gameplay wise nobody is doing anything like that.

-Guardian barrell launches; Very original clips and shown in a unique way with back/forth angles etc.

-Overshield Mario scene; Combining the invincibility theme from 2 unlike games using rapid color changes and audio to match them, also a pretty original clip.

-Voice Msg; Fit perfectly with the theme of the clip before as well as the overall theme, something not done nearly as much anymore, and added humor.

-Foundry headjump; Another original impressive clip, show me anywhere that has been done before.

-Brute Launches; Combining originality, outsmarting, and humor from pauses before the actual kill.

-Credits; Once again combining humor with gameplay for entertaining credits, like I said my most commented on clip.

In my opinion creating a unique editing style is easier than creating a unique gameplay style. There are so many players and the game has been out for 3 years so it's hard to produce your own unique style of gameplay (frags) that combines skill, originality, and humor. Add to the fact that my video was 4 times longer and I think it makes it overall more original. But that itself is nothing more than my personal opinion, and reading the other complaints in the intro thread I realize no matter what was chosen there would be disagreements from someone, so I guess consider those last few pages mine.
S a L a Y a

Standards
Level 47
Subtract from Standards's ReputationAdd to Standards's Reputation Standards is legendary Standards is legendary Standards is legendary
Send a message via AIM to Standards Send a message via Skype™ to Standards
07-26-2010

I like your montage, but seriously, shut up already.
FraGTaLiTy
Level 48
Subtract from FraGTaLiTy's ReputationAdd to FraGTaLiTy's Reputation FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame
07-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by StObrist View Post

In my opinion creating a unique editing style is easier than creating a unique gameplay style.
Being a Halo player for 10 years, and now an editor for over a year, I have to completely disagree. And I think anyone who has a lot of experience as both an editor and as a player will agree with me on that in regards to playing the game... with the only exception being those trick jump people who come up with those ridiculous stunts off seagulls and cans. Now THAT is original gameplay.

Your video had original gameplay, we get that. I don't think many are going to agree that out of all the 44 entries, it was one of the 7 most original videos. I personally don't.

Last edited by FraGTaLiTy; 07-26-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Trendkill
A Bitter Old Man
Subtract from Trendkill's ReputationAdd to Trendkill's Reputation Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000 Trendkill IS OVER 9000
07-26-2010

its much easier to have a unique gameplay style than editing. theres so many differences in gameplay between people that play on a lower sens and higher sens. also, theres different playlists to get clips in.
with editing, not only do you have to know the program well enough to develop a style, you have to find songs to fit ur editing style.
having original gameplay is so much easier than unique editing.
Seraphic
Level 30
Subtract from Seraphic's ReputationAdd to Seraphic's Reputation Seraphic is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Seraphic
07-26-2010

Quote:
baw baw baw my video didn't get nominated baw baw baw
Your video isn't in the same league as VVV, get the f..k over yourself.

You can brute shot your way up to plat and beat down a guy crouching in a corner. Congratulations d00d!

Quote:
In my opinion creating a unique editing style is easier than creating a unique gameplay style. There are so many players and the game has been out for 3 years so it's hard to produce your own unique style of gameplay (frags) that combines skill, originality, and humor. Add to the fact that my video was 4 times longer and I think it makes it overall more original. But that itself is nothing more than my personal opinion, and reading the other complaints in the intro thread I realize no matter what was chosen there would be disagreements from someone, so I guess consider those last few pages mine.

put the f**kin lotion in the basket
StObrist
Level 28
Subtract from StObrist's ReputationAdd to StObrist's Reputation StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin'
07-26-2010

Lol at everyone getting angry.

I already said I don't care about the nominations anymore, just discussing views on originality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphic View Post
Your video isn't in the same league as VVV, get the f..k over yourself.
In many ways that's true, but when it comes to originality I have to disagree. Buts let's get away from those.

Style was probably the wrong word choice, what I was just trying to say is that in my opinion originality in editing today is more common than originality in gameplay.
S a L a Y a

Andrew
I am the liquor
Subtract from Andrew's ReputationAdd to Andrew's Reputation Andrew IS OVER 9000 Andrew IS OVER 9000 Andrew IS OVER 9000 Andrew IS OVER 9000 Andrew IS OVER 9000 Andrew IS OVER 9000 Andrew IS OVER 9000 Andrew IS OVER 9000 Andrew IS OVER 9000 Andrew IS OVER 9000
07-26-2010

What's going on here guys?

Havey
Californication
Subtract from Havey's ReputationAdd to Havey's Reputation Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000 Havey IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Havey
07-26-2010

I want to vote on most original
THROWBACK REVIEW EPISODE!!
FraGTaLiTy
Level 48
Subtract from FraGTaLiTy's ReputationAdd to FraGTaLiTy's Reputation FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame
07-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havey View Post
I want to vote on most original
I suppose it is July 27th, isn't it.

Give me 15.
terv
YOU AINT GOT NO YEEZY?!!
Subtract from terv's ReputationAdd to terv's Reputation terv IS OVER 9000 terv IS OVER 9000 terv IS OVER 9000 terv IS OVER 9000 terv IS OVER 9000 terv IS OVER 9000 terv IS OVER 9000 terv IS OVER 9000 terv IS OVER 9000 terv IS OVER 9000 terv IS OVER 9000
07-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGTaLiTy View Post
I suppose it is July 27th, isn't it.

Give me 15.
fuck yeahhhhhhhhh
GT: ayy terv

http://www.youtube.com/user/PAYN3isTehSecks
Subscribe plz (:
Married to NickV