Halo 2 Forum > Halo Franchise > Halo Videos > THF Movie Competition 2010

Display Modes Thread Tools
Andrew
I am the liquor
Subtract from Andrew's ReputationAdd to Andrew's Reputation Andrew IS OVER 9000 Andrew IS OVER 9000 Andrew IS OVER 9000 Andrew IS OVER 9000 Andrew IS OVER 9000 Andrew IS OVER 9000 Andrew IS OVER 9000 Andrew IS OVER 9000 Andrew IS OVER 9000 Andrew IS OVER 9000
07-26-2010

Kblocker - Rush

Standards
Level 47
Subtract from Standards's ReputationAdd to Standards's Reputation Standards is legendary Standards is legendary Standards is legendary
Send a message via AIM to Standards Send a message via Skype™ to Standards
07-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by The XXL View Post
Kblocker - Rush
He loved it. He said it had the best gameplay ever
StObrist
Level 28
Subtract from StObrist's ReputationAdd to StObrist's Reputation StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin'
07-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGTaLiTy View Post
In my opinion, VVV's presentation makes it overall a more original video than SaLaYaH.
What exactly about the presentation?
S a L a Y a

NickV
THF VIP Member
Subtract from NickV's ReputationAdd to NickV's Reputation NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000
07-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by StObrist View Post
What exactly about the presentation?
Did you see it?
RIP EvilLilElmo

Married to terv
StObrist
Level 28
Subtract from StObrist's ReputationAdd to StObrist's Reputation StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin' StObrist is osageballin'
07-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuFf1n View Post
Did you see it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGTaLiTy
The only original gameplay in this competition is Look Before You Leap 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by II TM22 II
Really? I'd suggest watching your montage and watching VVV again.
This viewpoint like it's not even close or comparable is the most insulting. I'm not arguing that it isn't the better video, more enjoyable video, or even that it's unoriginal, more original is what we're discussing.

It had a simple well done intro, at the end the first clip was just replayed, and the gameplay was not original. So basically what we're comparing is the originality of the editing in the 1 minute and 10 second body against my entire montage.

Take into account todays montage scene, look at the nominees considered for most original, none of them are up there for gameplay, gameplay originality in itself is rarer than editing based originality. I agree LBYL3 had amazing and original footage, but I'm talking about gameplay, actual frags, this is after all still a halo game. All things considered I would think it should be extremely difficult for 1 minute and 10 seconds of editing based originality to be more original than an 8 minute montage with mostly gameplay based originality.
S a L a Y a

NickV
THF VIP Member
Subtract from NickV's ReputationAdd to NickV's Reputation NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000 NickV IS OVER 9000
07-26-2010

Look, your gameplay was original because it's the type of things you don't see too often, but the jumps and ways of throwing things are used in the game by alot of players who have atleast decent knowledge of things. You're the only one who got clips out of it, though. VVV's editing is unlike you've ever seen and isn't achieved by anyone yet. That's why I would say it was more original than your montage. I'm not saying yours wasn't original, ofcourse.
RIP EvilLilElmo

Married to terv
FraGTaLiTy
Level 48
Subtract from FraGTaLiTy's ReputationAdd to FraGTaLiTy's Reputation FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame
07-26-2010

Quote:

Take into account todays montage scene, look at the nominees considered for most original, none of them are up there for gameplay, gameplay originality in itself is rarer than editing based originality. I agree LBYL3 had amazing and original footage, but I'm talking about gameplay, actual frags, this is after all still a halo game.
I understand that, and my explanation from earlier still stands. I'm not saying your video entry isn't original, but I don't see it as more original than the other 7 entries the judges voted on.

LBYL3 is up there for most original solely because of gameplay.
StObrist
Level 28
07-26-2010

Quote:
I understand that, and my explanation from earlier still stands. I'm not saying your video entry isn't original, but I don't see it as more original than the other 7 entries the judges voted on.

LBYL3 is up there for most original solely because of gameplay.
I'm aware and It's not about the competition or the 7 entries the judges voted on. I'm just trying to have a discussion on originality, with the current topic being the originality in VVV.

The only reason I ask is earlier you said you didn't hold Nick's gameplay against him and it made me think you might not have even really compared ours in the first place. Because the fact is if you did compare his and mine you would have absolutely had to hold his gameplay against him in terms of originality, same for VVV, The Animatage, or any others.

Regardless I'm past that now, but still curious as to exactly what in VVV makes it so original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuFf1n
Look, your gameplay was original because it's the type of things you don't see too often, but the jumps and ways of throwing things are used in the game by alot of players who have atleast decent knowledge of things. You're the only one who got clips out of it, though.
It took me awhile to figure out how to respond to this tricky little compliment sandwich, but the first and last compliments are honestly the best answer I have to the middle criticism. That being said I'm sure there are a few things in there that not too many people do regularly. (and throwing what? lol)

You can't just limit mine to the gameplay though, surely the overshield mario scene had to score some points for editing originality, where VVV's credits was just replaying a clip mine was humorous and one of the most commented parts of my whole tage, it's overall has a whole which one contains more originality.

Quote:
VVV's editing is unlike you've ever seen and isn't achieved by anyone yet. That's why I would say it was more original than your montage. I'm not saying yours wasn't original, ofcourse.
All I'm asking is from an editing standpoint what about it makes it so original? Serious question too, from a novice at editing that to me looked like the same amazing editing Vidol, pTw, sore, or another talented editor would do to a minute of gameplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblocker
Also gonna throw it out there that I don't view VVV as original whatsoever.
I know you're not exactly co-signing my argument, but it's nice to know I'm not crazy.
S a L a Y a

Last edited by StObrist; 07-26-2010 at 04:34 PM.
FraGTaLiTy
Level 48
Subtract from FraGTaLiTy's ReputationAdd to FraGTaLiTy's Reputation FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame FraGTaLiTy is on the rise to fame
07-26-2010

Quote:
I'm aware and It's not about the competition or the 7 entries the judges voted on. I'm just trying to have a discussion on originality, with the current topic being the originality in VVV.

The only reason I ask is earlier you said you didn't hold Nick's gameplay against him and it made me think you might not have even really compared ours in the first place. Because the fact is if you did compare his and mine you would have absolutely had to hold his gameplay against him in terms of originality, same for VVV, The Animatage, or any others.

Regardless I'm past that now, but still curious as to exactly what in VVV makes it so original.

It took me awhile to figure out how to respond to this tricky little compliment sandwich, but the first and last compliments are honestly the best answer I have to the middle criticism. That being said I'm sure there are a few things in there that not too many people do regularly. (and throwing what? lol)

You can't just limit mine to the gameplay though, surely the overshield mario scene had to score some points for editing originality, where VVV's credits was just replaying a clip mine was humorous and one of the most commented parts of my whole tage, it's overall has a whole which one contains more originality.

All I'm asking is from an editing standpoint what about it makes it so original? Serious question too, from a novice at editing that to me looked like the same amazing editing Vidol, pTw, sore, or another talented editor would do to a minute of gameplay.

I know you're not exactly co-signing my argument, but it's nice to know I'm not crazy.
-Soundtrack; never heard anything like it before in a Halo video

-Consistent use of distortion filters and blurs created a very distinct and original look, especially during certain sections.

-Half-cutting between hud and no hud @ 50 seconds (never seen that before)

-Very abrupt and almost disorienting quick cutting, which worked because of the mood of the song

-Having the main title at the end of the video

-Slight camera wiggle during the first clip was cool, never seen a constant camera sway during an entire first person clip before, made it look like the guy was holding a camera.

Those are what stood out to me. If someone asked me what kind of video VVV was, I'd probably call it experimental because of how fresh and bold some of the ideas and soundtrack were.
thestrangestick
Level 14
Subtract from thestrangestick's ReputationAdd to thestrangestick's Reputation thestrangestick wears a live rattlesnake as a condom thestrangestick wears a live rattlesnake as a condom thestrangestick wears a live rattlesnake as a condom thestrangestick wears a live rattlesnake as a condom thestrangestick wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
07-26-2010

Quote:
-Soundtrack; never heard anything like it before in a Halo video

-Consistent use of distortion filters and blurs created a very distinct and original look, especially during certain sections.

-Half-cutting between hud and no hud @ 50 seconds (never seen that before)

-Very abrupt and almost disorienting quick cutting, which worked because of the mood of the song

-Having the main title at the end of the video

-Slight camera wiggle during the first clip was cool, never seen a constant camera sway during an entire first person clip before, made it look like the guy was holding a camera.

Those are what stood out to me. If someone asked me what kind of video VVV was, I'd probably call it experimental because of how fresh and bold some of the ideas and soundtrack were.
Does that mean I get bonus points too?