Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum > Religion Debate

Display Modes Thread Tools
Deadly Buni
Ezekiel 23:19-21
Subtract from Deadly Buni's ReputationAdd to Deadly Buni's Reputation Deadly Buni is a novice
12-27-2005

All your super Christian bullshit is getting annoying, all this stupid shit about sinning, sinning is having emotions. The guy that made birth control said this, " Have sex for pleasure; reproduction for reproduction."

II Greco II
Level 13
Subtract from II Greco II's ReputationAdd to II Greco II's Reputation II Greco II is a novice
12-27-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by hXc hiPPo
All your super Christian bullshit is getting annoying, all this stupid shit about sinning, sinning is having emotions. The guy that made birth control said this, " Have sex for pleasure; reproduction for reproduction."
No one but you think any of us are super Christians. I know im not, I definately know im not.
Sinning is having emotions?
By persecuting our beliefs you are only glorifying the God that we serve.

Oh and that birth control guy was one hell of a philosopher

Sorry but the Christians in this thread have not acted like true Christians except for VRBAS and Bishop

Last edited by playswithsquirrels; 12-27-2005 at 09:49 PM.
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
Subtract from The Colostomizer's ReputationAdd to The Colostomizer's Reputation The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000
01-01-2006

Why would an omnipotent being want to be glorified?

A true Christian is one who follows the Bible literally except for when the Bible states that a certain passage should be interpreted as a metaphor. As far as I know, there is no such specific instruction to interpret any passage metaphorically. If I remember correctly (and I very well could be wrong), the Bible at some point says that not all of its contents are literal. But if that's so, who's to decide which passages should be interpreted literally and which should be looked at as metaphors? Who would be the ultimate authority in such matters? Humans can't be perfect according to Christians, so, within your beliefs, you'd be wrong to interpret Genesis as a metaphor unless explicitly instructed to do so. And yet, there is a huge body of scientific evidence suggesting that creationism is a load of crap. So, there are three options. You can either accept reason, which excludes blind faith, you can accept blind faith, which excludes reason, or you can be a religious moderate and betray both equally.

One more thing for you to think about, playswithsquirrels. How can Christians presume to know how the universe works? Because it says so in the Bible. How do Christians know that the Bible is telling the truth? Because the Bible itself says so. That would strike you as pretty ridiculous if you weren't a Christian yourself.
Vrbas
i'm around
Subtract from Vrbas's ReputationAdd to Vrbas's Reputation Vrbas is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Vrbas
01-01-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colostomizer
Why would an omnipotent being want to be glorified?

A true Christian is one who follows the Bible literally except for when the Bible states that a certain passage should be interpreted as a metaphor.
Maybe since God was the One that gave us our first breath, that gave us the earth, that gave us food to eat, that gave us friends, family, that gave us LIFE. He is a God that loves you with all His heart and He is CONSTANTLY seeking you. He has the number of HAIRS ON YOUR HEAD. Heck, if someone knew that about me i'd think they are pretty obsessed. Exactly the point i'm trying to make. God is obsessed with us. He wants us to fellowship with Him in perfect harmony. He gave us everything we see, touch, hear, smell and feel. What right does He NOT have to demand glorification?

A true Christian does follow the Bible. But more importantly, He follows Jesus. But Christians aren't legalist. I hope you realize that.
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
Subtract from The Colostomizer's ReputationAdd to The Colostomizer's Reputation The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000 The Colostomizer IS OVER 9000
01-01-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbas
Maybe since God was the One that gave us our first breath, that gave us the earth, that gave us food to eat, that gave us friends, family, that gave us LIFE. He is a God that loves you with all His heart and He is CONSTANTLY seeking you. He has the number of HAIRS ON YOUR HEAD. Heck, if someone knew that about me i'd think they are pretty obsessed. Exactly the point i'm trying to make. God is obsessed with us. He wants us to fellowship with Him in perfect harmony. He gave us everything we see, touch, hear, smell and feel. What right does He NOT have to demand glorification?
Why would an omnipotent being give us life at all? (I'm starting to get into God's Debris here, read it if you haven't already.) Why would an omnipotent being love lesser, imperfect beings? Why would God love, or feel any human emotion at all? Why would God be obsessed with us? He has a perfect understanding of everything. Why would he find anything interesting? It certainly doesn't make sense that He would obsess over us. What benefit does He get from fellowship with us? It doesn't matter whether or not an omnipotent creator would have the right to demand glorification, what's curious is that He'd want it. Do you do everything that you have the right to do, even if you don't want to do it?

Quote:
A true Christian does follow the Bible. But more importantly, He follows Jesus. But Christians aren't legalist. I hope you realize that.
Most Christians I know pick and choose certain truths from the Bible. If they encounter something like Genesis that is ridiculous in the literal sense, they say, "Well, it must be a metaphor, because the Bible couldn't possibly be wrong." What right do you have to say that certain passages are metaphors if it's not explicitly stated? Such "moderate" Christians betray faith and reason equally; they are unwilling to completely abandon their faith, so they try to rationalize the parts of the Bible that have been widely shown to be ridiculous and they make excuses for their beliefs, but they still hold on to their basic convictions because they're unwilling to say they were wrong. They don't want to admit they don't know, and that desire is so strong that they'll claim they do know and they'll sincerely believe it. They say, "Well, there can't be any proof, so I must not need proof, because I know I'm right." If I disproved Christianity to you by figuring out a way to look into the past and I demonstrated that Jesus never performed any of the miracles, would you drop Christianity? Or would you discount what I found and continue saying, "I don't care what anyone says. I believe."
Vrbas
i'm around
Subtract from Vrbas's ReputationAdd to Vrbas's Reputation Vrbas is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Vrbas
01-01-2006

Quote:
Why would an omnipotent being give us life at all? (I'm starting to get into God's Debris here, read it if you haven't already.) Why would an omnipotent being love lesser, imperfect beings? Why would God love, or feel any human emotion at all? Why would God be obsessed with us? He has a perfect understanding of everything. Why would he find anything interesting? It certainly doesn't make sense that He would obsess over us. What benefit does He get from fellowship with us? It doesn't matter whether or not an omnipotent creator would have the right to demand glorification, what's curious is that He'd want it. Do you do everything that you have the right to do, even if you don't want to do it?

Most Christians I know pick and choose certain truths from the Bible. If they encounter something like Genesis that is ridiculous in the literal sense, they say, "Well, it must be a metaphor, because the Bible couldn't possibly be wrong." What right do you have to say that certain passages are metaphors if it's not explicitly stated? Such "moderate" Christians betray faith and reason equally; they are unwilling to completely abandon their faith, so they try to rationalize the parts of the Bible that have been widely shown to be ridiculous and they make excuses for their beliefs, but they still hold on to their basic convictions because they're unwilling to say they were wrong. They don't want to admit they don't know, and that desire is so strong that they'll claim they do know and they'll sincerely believe it. They say, "Well, there can't be any proof, so I must not need proof, because I know I'm right." If I disproved Christianity to you by figuring out a way to look into the past and I demonstrated that Jesus never performed any of the miracles, would you drop Christianity? Or would you discount what I found and continue saying, "I don't care what anyone says. I believe."
All i can say is that put yourself in God's shoes. How would you feel if you created an entire "existance" of races? If you created a universe with planets and stars.

Cheap way to look at it i know, but give it a shot.

The Bible says "God is love." Is that not enough to answer pretty much ALL the questions you have concerning this issue?

Plus, He's God and He doesn't have to answer to anyone. Oh man, that statement is going to get abused by you i can already tell.

It all depends. I'd like to see you disprove my beliefs or even convince me to turn from them.
The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
01-01-2006

Quote:
All i can say is that put yourself in God's shoes. How would you feel if you created an entire "existance" of races? If you created a universe with planets and stars.
If I was an omnipotent being, I wouldn't have created anything. There'd be no reason to. Nothing would be interesting or amusing. There would be no reason to do anything if I were omnipotent.

Quote:
The Bible says "God is love." Is that not enough to answer pretty much ALL the questions you have concerning this issue?
Ah, but I can't accept that if I don't accept the Bible. If God was truly omnipotent, he wouldn't possess human emotions. Emotions are the result of needs and shortcomings.

Quote:
Plus, He's God and He doesn't have to answer to anyone. Oh man, that statement is going to get abused by you i can already tell.
You're absolutely right. I am going to abuse that statement. If God expects me to live my entire life glorifying Him, He'd damn well better answer to me.

Quote:
It all depends. I'd like to see you disprove my beliefs or even convince me to turn from them.
I'd also like to see me disprove your beliefs. But it's so hard with people of such strong convictions. You're so convinced that I could never dissuade you. You've got a completely closed mind when it comes to anything that conflicts with your religious beliefs.

"It is time we recognized that the only thing that permits human beings to collaborate with one another in a truly open-ended way is their willingness to have their beliefs modified by new facts. Only openness to evidence and argument will secure a common world for us. Nothing guarantees that reasonable people will agree about everything, of course, but the unreasonable are certain to be divided by their dogmas. This spirit of mutual inquiry is the very antithesis of religious faith." - Sam Harris

"I have more respect for people who change their views after aquiring new information than for those who cling to views they held thirty years ago. The world changes. Ideologues and zealots don't." - Michael Chrichton
NorCalRox
Level 12
Subtract from NorCalRox's ReputationAdd to NorCalRox's Reputation NorCalRox is a novice
01-01-2006

Quote:
"I have more respect for people who change their views after aquiring new information than for those who cling to views they held thirty years ago. The world changes. Ideologues and zealots don't." - Michael Chrichton
stupidest quote I ever read. more respect for a person to be easily manipulated like that than to stand ground of his own beliefs?

The Colostomizer
REP FOR THE REP GOD
01-01-2006

How about, instead of calling the quote stupid because you don't understand it, you ask me to explain it to you? Does that sound reasonable?

Don't confuse flexibility with weakness. Any guy who would "stand ground of his own beliefs" even if it became apparent that he was wrong is a fool. Beliefs are based on information. Michael Chrichton was saying that a guy who is able to change his beliefs when confronted with new, conflicting information is to be commended, whereas a guy who sticks with his old beliefs when confronted with new, conflicting information and never considers that he might have been wrong should be ostracized.
Cursed Lemon
Darren Helm's Bitch
Subtract from Cursed Lemon's ReputationAdd to Cursed Lemon's Reputation Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000 Cursed Lemon IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
01-01-2006

Quote:

Cheap way to look at it i know, but give it a shot.

You're personifying God, but we're describing a being in and of itself that is totally complete.

Elmo <3