Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > General Gaming > Hardware & Software
 
 
Display Modes Thread Tools
RVideo
Ask Z for $50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 34,969
Subtract from RVideo's ReputationAdd to RVideo's Reputation RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000 RVideo IS OVER 9000
#11
01-22-2011
Default

Some things you may want to consider, if I could throw these in.

Static is not your friend - Nothing is more heartbreaking than zapping a component with static and bricking it. More often than not, younger builders forego using a ground strap and then wonder why their brand new HDD is dead. Consider using a grounding strap (about $5) or at least make sure you are wearing rubber soled shoes (sneakers, Crocs, whatever). The 'big three' components that are particularly susceptible to static damage are the CPU, the HDD and memory sticks.

Zip Ties - Grab a bunch of these - at least 20. Zip ties will help greatly in cable management and tying back data/power cables for a neater look and increased airflow.

Never enough bolts - Consider adding a bolt/screw kit (about $10) that includes all the machine screws and washers that you may need. Often times a case will ship with a low bolt count, and often OEM components will not ship with mounting bolts. It's worth the extra $10 to have this kit.

Let there be light - The best light for building is direct-overhead light, typically a standalone "gooseneck" light or a strong overhead light. Whatever the case may be, using a light that shines directly down and into the case assembly will make building much easier on the eyes, and reduce mistakes.

Last edited by RVideo; 01-22-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Coke
Being black.
Coke's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: VA
Posts: 5,750
Subtract from Coke's ReputationAdd to Coke's Reputation Coke is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Coke
#12
01-22-2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVideo View Post
Some things you may want to consider, if I could throw these in.

Static is not your friend - Nothing is more heartbreaking than zapping a component with static and bricking it. More often than not, younger builders forego using a ground strap and then wonder why their brand new HDD is dead. Consider using a grounding strap (about $5) or at least make sure you are wearing rubber soled shoes (sneakers, Crocs, whatever). The 'big three' components that are particularly susceptible to static damage are the CPU, the HDD and memory sticks.

Zip Ties - Grab a bunch of these - at least 20. Zip ties will help greatly in cable management and tying back data/power cables for a neater look and increased airflow.

Never enough bolts - Consider adding a bolt/screw kit (about $10) that includes all the machine screws and washers that you may need. Often times a case will ship with a low bolt count, and often OEM components will not ship with mounting bolts. It's worth the extra $10 to have this kit.

Let there be light - The best light for building is direct-overhead light, typically a standalone "gooseneck" light or a strong overhead light. Whatever the case may be, using a light that shines directly down and into the case assembly will make building much easier on the eyes, and reduce mistakes.
Thanks Rvideo.
Coke
Being black.
Coke's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: VA
Posts: 5,750
Subtract from Coke's ReputationAdd to Coke's Reputation Coke is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Coke
#13
01-23-2011
Default

Say if I wanted to upgrade to 8gb of RAM and decided to just buy two packs of the RAM you linked, Al.

That'd be fine, correct? As long as I got a version of Windows 7 64bit that could handle the RAM I mean.

EDIT: And you do put on the paste on the processor right? It does come with paste?

EDIT 2: Also just watched a tutorial on building a PC. Most of where I'm nervous comes with installing the motherboard and the processor.

ANDDD... Should I start up the system without the GPU in it first or will it be safe with this potential PC to have the GPU in it on first start-up?

Sorry for the plethora of questions. I'm very interested and I don't want to mess anything up.

Last edited by Coke; 01-23-2011 at 03:56 AM.
Al
EXPECTO PATRONUM
Al's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: sionillI Illinois
Posts: 23,307
Subtract from Al's ReputationAdd to Al's Reputation Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000 Al IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Al
#14
01-23-2011
Default

The stock heatsink will have the paste preapplied, yes. However if you want to use an aftermarket heatsink, you'll need to get some and apply it yourself.

Yes you can just buy two sets. That's how it works

You'll want to install all components before booting for the first time/installing Windows. Makes things easier and saves time.



Useful Idiot
I know you want this body
Useful Idiot's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 12,357
Subtract from Useful Idiot's ReputationAdd to Useful Idiot's Reputation Useful Idiot still downloads from Mythica Useful Idiot still downloads from Mythica Useful Idiot still downloads from Mythica Useful Idiot still downloads from Mythica Useful Idiot still downloads from Mythica Useful Idiot still downloads from Mythica
#15
01-23-2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coke View Post
Say if I wanted to upgrade to 8gb of RAM and decided to just buy two packs of the RAM you linked, Al.

That'd be fine, correct? As long as I got a version of Windows 7 64bit that could handle the RAM I mean.
Yeah, that'd be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coke View Post
EDIT: And you do put on the paste on the processor right? It does come with paste?
The stock heatsink will already be pre-pasted for you. You only need to worry about applying thermalpaste yourself if you want to go want an aftermarket cooler. If you do, just remember that a little goes a long way. Want to put a drop about the size of a grain of rice in the center of the processor and then spread a thin, even layer across the CPU with a credit card or something similar. Also apply a small amount to the base of the cooler where it makes contact with the processor. Some good pastes are Arctic Silver 5, Artic Cooling MX-2, OCZ Freeze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coke View Post
EDIT 2: Also just watched a tutorial on building a PC. Most of where I'm nervous comes with installing the motherboard and the processor.

ANDDD... Should I start up the system without the GPU in it first or will it be safe with this potential PC to have the GPU in it on first start-up? I'm very interested and I don't want to mess anything up.

Sorry for the plethora of questions.
You'll want to install all your stuff the first time. Most everything these days is plug-and-play. Motherboards are designed to be fool-proof. Components will be color matched with their corresponding spot on the motherboard. Plus, they will only fit where they belong so don't worry about plugging in something wrong. Like RVideo mentioned, the biggest risk is frying your components with static. I have always used wrist straps just for added protection, but as long as you periodically discharge yourself by grabbing the sides of the case, you should be alright. Avoid touching bare contacts and circuit boards at all costs. Also, try and not put your rig together while sitting on the carpet in wool socks. A kitchen table is a good place to put it all together.

'00 Electric Green GT:
SCT X3 Flashed, BBK CAI, BBK Headers, O/R X Pipe, Cat Delete, MagnaPacks, T-45 Trans, Ford Racing 4.10s, Eibach Sportline Springs, Black 18" Saleen Wheels, 275/35 NT555s, Xentec HIDs
Build List:
Slotted Brembos w/ Hawk HPS Pads & SS Lines
Coke
Being black.
Coke's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: VA
Posts: 5,750
Subtract from Coke's ReputationAdd to Coke's Reputation Coke is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Coke
#16
01-23-2011
Default

Haha, thanks guys. I'm feeling better already. :P
Coke
Being black.
Coke's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: VA
Posts: 5,750
Subtract from Coke's ReputationAdd to Coke's Reputation Coke is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Coke
#17
01-31-2011
Default

I haven't purchased anything yet thankfully, so how would this effect me?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/31/i...ments-stopped/

Lol.
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off