Halo 2 Forum > Halo Franchise > Halo Videos > THF Movie Competition 2010
View Poll Results: Which video is the most original?
"The Animatage" - Edited by thestrangestick 74 32.17%
BiPoLaR NiCk Presents "The Final Montage" 13 5.65%
"Black Box" - Edited by s0r3 33 14.35%
"Frenetic Array" - Edited by Mattisson 12 5.22%
"Look Before You Leap 3" - Edited by Gary UK/Clay 77 33.48%
"Question Reality" - Edited by Hazmat 11 4.78%
"Veni Vidi Vici" - Edited by Atiemark 10 4.35%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Display Modes Thread Tools
Smashwat
Level 13
Smashwat's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 160
Subtract from Smashwat's ReputationAdd to Smashwat's Reputation Smashwat is a novice
#331
07-29-2010
Default

LBYL 3 should be ahead by more. That jump off the mother fucking seagull...


It's better to live one day as a lion,
Than a thousand years as a lamb.
ixDash
n00b (level 8)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12
Subtract from ixDash's ReputationAdd to ixDash's Reputation ixDash is a novice
#332
07-29-2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strafee View Post
I think people are just voting to keep it a tie, not voting for whichever video they truly feel deserves to win.

Which makes me kind of angwyyyyyy D:
I suspect that, but I somehow doubt that many of the votes are like that. The votes have gone back and forth a lot though so who knows. Some people may just like to see a close competition. Either way, may the best video win.
Seraphic
Level 30
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In Atie's Batcave
Posts: 1,980
Subtract from Seraphic's ReputationAdd to Seraphic's Reputation Seraphic is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Seraphic
#333
07-29-2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangestick View Post
ITo make a custom HUD work you have to put the time in and pay attention to every minute detail to make it look like it belongs there.
which is exactly what you failed to do



That^ is a perfect execution of the cartoonish style you were going for. You slapped a poorly styled cartoonish HUD on top of the regular footage. I wouldn't exactly say that looks like it belongs there. The soundtrack didn't go with the theme at all either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangestick View Post
Even people like Fragtality , who claimed to like it in the announcement thread, are now seemingly indifferent to it. And, whilst I appreciate that how I put it together wasn't perfect, because using 'serious' editing software was a learning curve over the 10 months I spent on it, to say the editing and execution of the HUD itself is bad is delusional.
I said it was sh.t from the very beginning. Does that make you feel any better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangestick View Post
I also find it tragic how so many of the users here are like sheep, repeating points other people have made. It personally upsets me that it's currently 'cool' to rip on my montage because I spent ten months on it and I believe it to be the most well executed example of a custom HUD ever seen in the world of Halo montages, as I made sure it was perfect by editing it frame by frame.
cry about it to someone who cares

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangestick View Post
I also think the gameplay is original because I chose so many of the clips because they have a back story to them. One example is the overkill on Narrows, which I got when I had Stoned Bunny, a member of the MLG forums who goes to the same university as me, round for a meet and greet. People seem to assume that I used my own clips because I'm stupid and thought that they were really good, but I used them because they went with the theme and idea behind the montage
every clip has a story, it doesn't make it original, and it doesn't make them any less sh.tty than they are.

People need to differentiate originality from things that are stupid, random, and unfitting. tbh I'm surprised it even got a nomination.

put the f**kin lotion in the basket
Standards
Level 47
Standards's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Odessa, TX
Posts: 6,757
Subtract from Standards's ReputationAdd to Standards's Reputation Standards is legendary Standards is legendary Standards is legendary
Send a message via AIM to Standards Send a message via Skype™ to Standards
#334
07-29-2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strafee View Post
I think people are just voting to keep it a tie, not voting for whichever video they truly feel deserves to win.

Which makes me kind of angwyyyyyy D:
That's probably the case actually, I've been wondering why they have literally been tied forever
thestrangestick
Level 14
thestrangestick's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK2USAbreh
Posts: 213
Subtract from thestrangestick's ReputationAdd to thestrangestick's Reputation thestrangestick wears a live rattlesnake as a condom thestrangestick wears a live rattlesnake as a condom thestrangestick wears a live rattlesnake as a condom thestrangestick wears a live rattlesnake as a condom thestrangestick wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
#335
07-29-2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Xwo View Post
I was hesitant to post this earlier, but since it's cool to be overly-dramatic, I'll go ahead and post it.

I really enjoyed watching the Animatage, however I don't believe that it is the most original.

There have been videos before with a custom HUD, it's not like it's a new idea or anything. People keep bringing up the point that there have been 100's of jumping videos before. While this is true, how many jumping videos have there been of LBYL3's quality? The other thing is, while there might have been 100's of jumping videos, there have been thousands of killing montages. Every individual jump in Look Before You Leap 3 was original.

While some people may say, "Well every kill in The Animatage was original too, there has never been a multikill exactly like that!" That may be true, but in my honest opinion, I think that gameplay-wise, landing a new, original jump that went into Look Before You Leap 3, is more original than getting a nice overkill, or having a different-looking HUD.

I've heard TSS mention the amount of time he's put into The Animatage, and while I'm not exactly sure how that's relevant, I believe that we spent a longer time working on Look Before You Leap 3. I think a vast majority of the people who watch Jump Theory's videos, don't truly realize the amount of time we spend trying to land these jumps. There are multiple jumps in the video that literally took 120+ hours of trying them just to get landed.

Please note before reading this next paragraph that I am in no way making an accusation, I'm simply expressing a concern.

One more thing that has always concerned me slightly, is the possibility that due to the custom HUD in The Animatage, we (the viewers) don't even know if those clips were real. For all we know they could have been staged on guests. There are no names shown in the video whatsoever, and due to the custom HUD, as long as it may have looked like the kill was gotten, the editing could have turned a triple kill into an extermination.

Anyways guys, this has been a fun 3 days, and this competition is crazy close. Thanks for the votes, and good luck to you, TSS.

tl;dr - Animatage was good, I enjoyed it, I still think LBYL3 is more original. The time spent on the videos entered into the competition doesn't mean anything at all. If you want to pull the "I spent 10 months," card again, go for it. We spent longer on our video. But hey, it doesn't even matter.

Best of luck to you.
If I was going to stage gameplay in my montage, wouldn't the clips actually be... y'know... decent?

XYOX
Ask Z for $50
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 21,979
Subtract from XYOX's ReputationAdd to XYOX's Reputation XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000 XYOX IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to XYOX
#336
07-29-2010
Default

that would make it obvious
She only comes to me in my dreams
So sleep becomes routine
It's not healthy, it's what makes you right
It's not healthy, it's what makes you...

She only comes to me in my dreams

So sleep becomes addicting
It's not healthy, it's what makes you right
It's not healthy, it's what makes you...



Thomasxp5
Art thou feeling it now?
Thomasxp5's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14,582
Subtract from Thomasxp5's ReputationAdd to Thomasxp5's Reputation Thomasxp5 IS OVER 9000 Thomasxp5 IS OVER 9000 Thomasxp5 IS OVER 9000 Thomasxp5 IS OVER 9000 Thomasxp5 IS OVER 9000 Thomasxp5 IS OVER 9000 Thomasxp5 IS OVER 9000 Thomasxp5 IS OVER 9000 Thomasxp5 IS OVER 9000 Thomasxp5 IS OVER 9000 Thomasxp5 IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Thomasxp5 Send a message via MSN to Thomasxp5
#337
07-29-2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Xwo View Post
I was hesitant to post this earlier, but since it's cool to be overly-dramatic, I'll go ahead and post it.

I really enjoyed watching the Animatage, however I don't believe that it is the most original.

There have been videos before with a custom HUD, it's not like it's a new idea or anything. People keep bringing up the point that there have been 100's of jumping videos before. While this is true, how many jumping videos have there been of LBYL3's quality? The other thing is, while there might have been 100's of jumping videos, there have been thousands of killing montages. Every individual jump in Look Before You Leap 3 was original.

While some people may say, "Well every kill in The Animatage was original too, there has never been a multikill exactly like that!" That may be true, but in my honest opinion, I think that gameplay-wise, landing a new, original jump that went into Look Before You Leap 3, is more original than getting a nice overkill, or having a different-looking HUD.

I've heard TSS mention the amount of time he's put into The Animatage, and while I'm not exactly sure how that's relevant, I believe that we spent a longer time working on Look Before You Leap 3. I think a vast majority of the people who watch Jump Theory's videos, don't truly realize the amount of time we spend trying to land these jumps. There are multiple jumps in the video that literally took 120+ hours of trying them just to get landed.

Please note before reading this next paragraph that I am in no way making an accusation, I'm simply expressing a concern.

One more thing that has always concerned me slightly, is the possibility that due to the custom HUD in The Animatage, we (the viewers) don't even know if those clips were real. For all we know they could have been staged on guests. There are no names shown in the video whatsoever, and due to the custom HUD, as long as it may have looked like the kill was gotten, the editing could have turned a triple kill into an extermination.

Anyways guys, this has been a fun 3 days, and this competition is crazy close. Thanks for the votes, and good luck to you, TSS.

tl;dr - Animatage was good, I enjoyed it, I still think LBYL3 is more original. The time spent on the videos entered into the competition doesn't mean anything at all. If you want to pull the "I spent 10 months," card again, go for it. We spent longer on our video. But hey, it doesn't even matter.

Best of luck to you.
Will you f..kers just shut up...


WATCH MAI FINAL MAWNTAGE

Stagga
Level 48
Stagga's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,594
Subtract from Stagga's ReputationAdd to Stagga's Reputation Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000 Stagga IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Stagga
#338
07-29-2010
Default

btw, another reason why I voted for BB over LBYL3 and the Animatage is because both of them didn't have very original/good soundtracks. That B-Complex song has been used so many times in other games as well, and I believe I just heard that Kasbian song in another montage, as well as The XX.

As for the Animatage, the Frezz and orangeclock dual had used that song like 2 weeks prior, and it's not even a good song IMO. That other song was meh, and OneRepublic has been overused.

BB had a great soundtrack that pumped you up to play Halo. In fact, I don't even like DFA1979, but the way sor3 used it was top notch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
stagga stood with his palms in a sweat
wetter than eminems, i would bet
but his voice in a mic
was something to like
he'll be drowned in a pussy quartet

Last edited by Stagga; 07-29-2010 at 07:04 PM.
CaptainCrunch
Level 13
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 169
Subtract from CaptainCrunch's ReputationAdd to CaptainCrunch's Reputation CaptainCrunch is a novice
#339
07-29-2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldYrPistlSTR8 View Post
btw, another reason why I voted for BB over LBYL3 and the Animatage is because both of them didn't have very original/good soundtracks. That B-Complex song has been used so many times in other games as well, and I believe I just heard that Kasbian song in another montage, as well as The XX.

As for the Animatage, the Frezz and orangeclock had used that song like 2 weeks prior, and it's not even a good song IMO. That other song was meh, and OneRepublic has been overused.

BB had a great soundtrack that pumped you up to play Halo. In fact, I don't even like DFA1979, but the way sor3 used it was top notch.
That's respectable.
~CaptainCrunch41
thestrangestick
Level 14
thestrangestick's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK2USAbreh
Posts: 213
Subtract from thestrangestick's ReputationAdd to thestrangestick's Reputation thestrangestick wears a live rattlesnake as a condom thestrangestick wears a live rattlesnake as a condom thestrangestick wears a live rattlesnake as a condom thestrangestick wears a live rattlesnake as a condom thestrangestick wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
#340
07-29-2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldYrPistlSTR8 View Post
btw, another reason why I voted for BB over LBYL3 and the Animatage is because both of them didn't have very original/good soundtracks. That B-Complex song has been used so many times in other games as well, and I believe I just heard that Kasbian song in another montage, as well as The XX.

As for the Animatage, the Frezz and orangeclock dual had used that song like 2 weeks prior, and it's not even a good song IMO. That other song was meh, and OneRepublic has been overused.

BB had a great soundtrack that pumped you up to play Halo. In fact, I don't even like DFA1979, but the way sor3 used it was top notch.
I was working on my montage for longer than two weeks. So it's still original in my mind (even if it's not a good song in yours )

 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off