Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > Debate Forum

Display Modes Thread Tools
Big Jends
Level 13
Subtract from Big Jends's ReputationAdd to Big Jends's Reputation Big Jends is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Big Jends
03-05-2006

Evolution is fine and dandy, I know the concept of it and why it happens, but I still dont believe that we evolve on our own.

My own personal thought is that the human body is too perfect (except for the throat/trachea crossover) to have evolved this way on its own, meaning something helped us evolve.

Froggy618157725
Level 31
Subtract from Froggy618157725's ReputationAdd to Froggy618157725's Reputation Froggy618157725 is a novice
Send a message via AIM to Froggy618157725 Send a message via MSN to Froggy618157725 Send a message via Yahoo to Froggy618157725
03-05-2006

Here's Wikipedia's take on it.

The experiment itself seems pretty solid, although the conditions were probably way off of how the atmosphere was. I don't know very much about the experiment, so Wikipedia would be better for information.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Thanks to Shystie for avatar
MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
03-05-2006

First off: THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH EVOLUTION.

Second:

The miller experiment showed how the formation of organic compounds could come from the original conditions of the earth billions of years ago.

The data is fine. It is a probable cause of the origin of life. There are lots of other theories on the subject with just as much evidence. With the origin of life we can only speculate at this point and come up with models to reproduce the conditions. But this is a process that took millions of years.

Picture a H2S environment rather than a water environment constantly bombarding the surface with radiation. Anything could happen. The odds of us getting it right at this point are pretty slim. Too many possibilities. But this is the best one in my mind. The experiments since then have taken it many steps farther. The formation of DNA without proteins, proteins folding without chaperones, all done by simple Mg. It is all possible and it is pretty odd that these things all lead to the formation of life as we know it but that is also what those chemists are looking for. It is inductive science since we have the result and are looking for evidence supporting it. I am not saying all chemists are doing this. There are ones that are looking at systems of other reproducing systems that are not DNA/protein based but they are not really applied to the development of life since as far as we know, those probable systems did not work.

My second favorite is the idea of spores on meteors landing in our environment and spouting life from that. Just as much evidence for that one.

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

Think You Watch Movies? http://www.halo3forum.com/showthread.php?t=81621

Last edited by MarkedAchilles; 03-05-2006 at 03:04 PM.
Newgy
Level 41
Subtract from Newgy's ReputationAdd to Newgy's Reputation Newgy is a novice
03-06-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jends
Evolution is fine and dandy, I know the concept of it and why it happens, but I still dont believe that we evolve on our own.

My own personal thought is that the human body is too perfect (except for the throat/trachea crossover) to have evolved this way on its own, meaning something helped us evolve.
I have to agree with that statement... And MarkedAchilles, thanks for giving the information on the experiment. It really seems like you know either A.) What you are talking about. or B.) Know where to look for it

S t o p . T h i n k . P o s t .

xX Izzy
Level 24
Subtract from xX Izzy's ReputationAdd to xX Izzy's Reputation xX Izzy is a novice
03-06-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy618157725
Science does not deny religion. Religion tries to deny science.
Excellent quote. It is quite true, and I've tried to argue this from the "back in the day" evolution discussions. God's existence are not mutually exclusive! If you deny evolution for the sheer fact that you fear it'll 'disprove' God, don't!

^Thanks Thorgasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liver biskets
lol izzy your posts are so long that i read about 3% of them. But thats why i like you ;)
MarkedAchilles
Subtract from MarkedAchilles's ReputationAdd to MarkedAchilles's Reputation MarkedAchilles is a novice
03-06-2006

Structures such as the throat and trachea are universal to ever animal and most plants. How would this be a hard stucture for humans to have?

-i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section

ekattan
Level 37
Subtract from ekattan's ReputationAdd to ekattan's Reputation ekattan is stuck in campaign mode
Send a message via MSN to ekattan
03-09-2006

http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=5d...3&t=&f=06/64&p

They found some retarded kids from Turkey that walk with their feet and hadns, on all fours, and they say it's because of backwards evolution. LOL

Come on man, this is the shit I was referring to. Listen to the profesor from USC, he says it's because of gene probability. The kids are retarded for christ sake, they are probably the offspring of a brother or sister or two cousins.

Species are just a cause of DNA probability not because of evolution. I do believe in survival of the fittest, thats a given. Once on eartn if your species is on top of the food chain their is no way it is going to become extinct, but scientist theorize "oh the great white is so perfect it has never evolved". LOL

MarkedAchilles
03-09-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekattan
http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=5d...3&t=&f=06/64&p

They found some retarded kids from Turkey that walk with their feet and hadns, on all fours, and they say it's because of backwards evolution. LOL

Come on man, this is the shit I was referring to. Listen to the profesor from USC, he says it's because of gene probability. The kids are retarded for christ sake, they are probably the offspring of a brother or sister or two cousins.

Species are just a cause of DNA probability not because of evolution. I do believe in survival of the fittest, thats a given. Once on eartn if your species is on top of the food chain their is no way it is going to become extinct, but scientist theorize "oh the great white is so perfect it has never evolved". LOL
Yeah, I've had to watch movies on kids like that.

It is not because of backwards mutation, its just bad luck and like you said possibly some portion of inbreeding.

Speciation is an "unintentional" consequence of evolution. It is not that best for the individual because your genes are kind of "trapped" with that one species. But it is more efficient for all life and allows for more life. For me it is bad that I cannot mate with a cow but if I could then there wouldn't be cows and humans, there would be cumans or something like that or probably neither of us would be here.

That idea of ideal species is from the ancient Greeks. The idea that every species is perfect and all of that. Totally off, they also thought that species never went extinct. Now that we have seen that billions of species have gone extinct, the idea of an ideal species is just part of our history that we laugh at now.

MLG Shinobi
Level 19
Subtract from MLG Shinobi's ReputationAdd to MLG Shinobi's Reputation MLG Shinobi is a novice
03-09-2006

theres a little something I think youll find interesting that disproves the evolution and big bang theories(and puts the cherry on top...lol) that I newly posted on the first page of the thread entitled, "God and the Quran debate."

heres the link,

http://www.halo2forum.com/showthread.php?t=46951
gamertag: Enigma 90
Send me a f/r for MLG FFA (make sure to include mlg ffa in the text)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLG Shinobi
Carbon will beat FB at Orlando, someone quote me on this
and they did...

Last edited by MLG Shinobi; 03-09-2006 at 07:39 PM.
MarkedAchilles
03-09-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat O 101
theres a little something I think youll find interesting that disproves the evolution and big bang theories(and puts the cherry on top...lol) that I newly posted on the first page of the thread entitled, "God and the Quran debate."

heres the link,

http://www.halo2forum.com/showthread.php?t=46951
None of your links are reputable. None of them show facts. They are quotes. Great. Quotes.

Seriously if you are not ready for a serious, fact based debate, stay out of this thread. If you have specific questions about evolution, post. If you don't. Stay in the religion section. Go pick up any textbook, any scientific journal, or whatever and actually start studying something. You are wasting my time. This thread has nothing to do with religion.

Until you actually read something that is by someone with an ounce of knowledge about the subject, I am not going reply to you again. Post all you want but keep tabloid sites out of my thread.

Last edited by MarkedAchilles; 03-09-2006 at 08:03 PM.