Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > General Gaming

Display Modes Thread Tools
Doodlepop
Level 9000
Subtract from Doodlepop's ReputationAdd to Doodlepop's Reputation Doodlepop IS OVER 9000 Doodlepop IS OVER 9000 Doodlepop IS OVER 9000 Doodlepop IS OVER 9000 Doodlepop IS OVER 9000 Doodlepop IS OVER 9000 Doodlepop IS OVER 9000 Doodlepop IS OVER 9000 Doodlepop IS OVER 9000 Doodlepop IS OVER 9000 Doodlepop IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Doodlepop Send a message via Yahoo to Doodlepop
01-02-2015
Default What are your top 5 favorite video games of all time?

Simple and enjoyable thread! Obviously we know a few games that will be on everyones list :travis. Also provide a little write up of why each game is your favorite?

#5. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (2004)
This still remains the best GTA to date. Everything about it is perfect. The three distinctly themed cities to represent Vegas, East LA and San Fran. They also NAILED the era just as well as GTA: Vice City. The story in this one is actually pretty good too! I've easily played this GTA way more than other installments.

#4. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (2004)
I've never seen a game pull off the atmosphere in a game so well to this day. The time is the 1960's in the cold war, you're an american agent and you're in the jungle. You must eat the animals around to survive, and use camouflage to hide from the enemies. Seriously this game could replace the top 3 spots at any point for me. The gameplay and story from an MGS game is top notch, and the third installment is sometimes referred to s "the best MGS". I've easily beaten this game 100+ times.

#3. Halo CE (2001)
Pretty obvious this would be on the list. I remember being in 2nd grade and going to my friends house for a sleep over. When I got there I was told his mom had gone out to purchase an Xbox for us. She was also told to buy a little game called Halo. From then on I was playing at least one level of H1 campaign a day, and signing in my extra controllers and killing them in multiplayer when I was playing by myself at my house.

#2. Halo 2 (2004)
Again, a pretty obvious choice. H2 was the first game I had ever played online. Without this game I wouldn't be posting this thread, or even on this website. It's fairly obvious why this sits at #2

#1. Metal Gear Solid (1999)
If I had to choose one game to live with the rest of my life, it would be this one. I still remember being a 5 year old playing the demo of this game that was on a Pizza Hut demo disc. This game remains my favorite because every time I play it, I have fun no matter what. The story, the gameplay everything in this game is absolutely timeless. I wouldn't even know how to count how many times this was beaten.

Honorable Mention: Tony Hawk's Underground (2003)
I'm honesty not sure why I love this game so much. It was the first time they shoved story into a Tony Hawk game. Tony Hawk games were alway extremely fun. This game captured the story of one skater from jersey making it to pro status. If theres one Tony Hawk game that deserves re release after THPS1, it's this one.
H2F ShocK
H2F OG
Subtract from H2F ShocK's ReputationAdd to H2F ShocK's Reputation H2F ShocK IS OVER 9000 H2F ShocK IS OVER 9000 H2F ShocK IS OVER 9000 H2F ShocK IS OVER 9000 H2F ShocK IS OVER 9000 H2F ShocK IS OVER 9000 H2F ShocK IS OVER 9000 H2F ShocK IS OVER 9000 H2F ShocK IS OVER 9000 H2F ShocK IS OVER 9000 H2F ShocK IS OVER 9000
01-02-2015

#5. Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow (1998)
I think this still counts as a video game. I still remember Christmas morning when I was a young lad, and receiving my first GameBoy Color and Pokemon game. Ahh, how I wish I could go back.

#4. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007)
Despite all the CoD's that followed Modern Warfare, this one still goes down in my books as my favorite. They just don't make video games like they used to...

#3. Gears of War (2006)
Best. 3rd Person. Shooter. Ever.
There was a point in time where I stopped playing Halo altogether, and became a huge GoW kid. I can still recall some of my favorite plays and Gamebattles matches.

#2. GoldenEye 007 (1997)
Obvious reasons. I'd put this at #1 if I could, but my heart wouldn't let me.

#1. Halo 2 (2004)
I never played CE, which is a shame because I know it's great. But Halo 2 is THE game that got me into online gaming, and without it, I wouldn't be here. The memories of playing this game in freshman year of high school and all the LANs are enough to keep this locked and loaded at #1.

Honorable Mention: Super Smash Bros
Probably should have cracked the Top 5, but I didn't have a Nintendo for long enough to enjoy this game entirely. But man, there was nothing like throwing down on Saffron City with your buddies after school.
Frezz
Level 40
Subtract from Frezz's ReputationAdd to Frezz's Reputation Frezz IS OVER 9000 Frezz IS OVER 9000 Frezz IS OVER 9000 Frezz IS OVER 9000 Frezz IS OVER 9000 Frezz IS OVER 9000 Frezz IS OVER 9000 Frezz IS OVER 9000 Frezz IS OVER 9000 Frezz IS OVER 9000 Frezz IS OVER 9000
01-02-2015

5. Garry's Mod: I think I had the most fun times in gaming on this game. Me and my friends could play this for hours

4. Syphon Filter 2: one of the first shooters I ever played. My favorite PS1 game

3. Halo 2: I got h2 at the end of 06 so I only really had a year to play before halo 3 came out but for the time I had it I had an absolute blast. I remember foundation zombies and tower of power all the time.

2. Half Life 2: first game I got when I got the Xbox original and my favorite campaign of all time

1. Halo 3: although it may of not been the best halo it definitely my favorite. I put so much time into this game it's ridiculous. Halo 3 was literally my life from 08-10.

HM: Spyro the Dragon
Oblivion
Amnesia The Dark Descent
WoW
Eamonn
dwightdwightdwightdwight
Subtract from Eamonn's ReputationAdd to Eamonn's Reputation Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000 Eamonn IS OVER 9000
Send a message via Skype™ to Eamonn
01-02-2015

H3
NHL games
MW2
Forza Horizon
Reach (not so much the gameplay but the memories)
Wes
Subtract from Wes's ReputationAdd to Wes's Reputation Wes IS OVER 9000 Wes IS OVER 9000 Wes IS OVER 9000 Wes IS OVER 9000 Wes IS OVER 9000 Wes IS OVER 9000 Wes IS OVER 9000 Wes IS OVER 9000 Wes IS OVER 9000 Wes IS OVER 9000 Wes IS OVER 9000
01-02-2015

5. loz: mm
4. pokemon platinum
3. tales of vesperia
2. halo 2
1. kingdom hearts 1/2

edit: swapping out xillia 2 for majora's mask. idk how i forgot about that.

Last edited by Wes; 01-02-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Element
Level 37
Subtract from Element's ReputationAdd to Element's Reputation Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000 Element IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Element
01-02-2015

No order.. These shouldn't even need explanations anyway.

1. Super Mario RPG
2. Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3. Halo 2
4. Final Fantasy VII
5. Kingdom Hearts 1/2

HM: Zelda: A Link to the Past/A Link between Worlds
Call of duty 4
MW2

Lat3ksi
Level 19
Subtract from Lat3ksi's ReputationAdd to Lat3ksi's Reputation Lat3ksi IS OVER 9000 Lat3ksi IS OVER 9000 Lat3ksi IS OVER 9000 Lat3ksi IS OVER 9000 Lat3ksi IS OVER 9000 Lat3ksi IS OVER 9000 Lat3ksi IS OVER 9000 Lat3ksi IS OVER 9000
01-02-2015

Nice thread. I added surprise links.

#5. Pokémon Red
This game had huge influence on me. Got this as a Xmas present with a GameBoy Colour when I was 6 or 7. Pokémon became a huge thing and everyone at school had those trading cards. With under 10 local friends we actually had a league for the card game even though none of us understood more than 5 words of English. We basically made up what the cards said, lol. I drew fan art, made up my own Pokémon and all that stuff. Maybe surprisingly, I haven't actually played a Pokémon game in years because I'm still waiting for one with a decent story. I know this one is on my list purely because of nostalgia value.

#4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
I actually completed this game just a few months ago with the 3DS version. I own OoT and MM for GameCube but the console has been dead for a decade now, and I never got around to finish these games. I love the story and atmosphere of this game, so epic with some dark themes, yet keeping that childlike fun adventure feeling, which is always a good thing.

#3. Unreal (1991)
This game has such a great feeling of adventure. You're on this quest to unknown on a mysterious alien planet, trying to find out what's happening and trying to survive. It's like if you mixed the campaigns of Quake and Halo but the vibes I get from this game are just better in my opinion. Soundtrack is amazing. If you want to get this game, get the GOTY edition and download a high res texture pack.

#2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1991) / A Link Between Worlds (2013)
Couldn't pick one, they're very similar games. On 2D Zelda games you have this amazingly great gameplay which the experience revolves around, unlike the 3D ones which are maybe more "cinematic" and story driven. Vast, open world, great puzzles, great action, no bullshit. These two are masterpieces. Latter is a tad bit easier, though.

#1. Halo Custom Edition (2004)
I started playing Halo PC in 2006 and heard about this free add-on in 2007. Immediately got hooked, got to know all kinds of people, downloaded hundreds of cool multiplayer maps and user made campaigns. The days of stunting and launching off ramps with Warthogs that could go 500km/h. Flying jets through kilometers worth of snowy mountains in order to get the flag, only to get nuked, literally. Making stupid videos about all that and sharing them with friends. Then becoming somewhat competitive and joining clans. Golden days for me.

Honorable mentions:
Doom: I was 5 when I played this game along with other shareware demos. In a dark underground floor with a fireplace and a spooky dark shower/sauna section. You can imagine how fucking scary those monsters were when the lights went out in the game. If you want to play the best, modern version of the game, PM me and I'll give you a link to Brutal Doom, it's fun as hell.
Half-Life 2: The moment the gravity gun is upgraded is the most powerful feeling I've had in a computer game. Rest of the game is obviously great, too.
Age of Empires: I spent so many hours making experimental maps and playing with funny cheats (against AI) that let me spawn lazer-shooting supercars and stormtroopers VS. enemies' massive medieval armies.
Trackmania United (Forever): Island extreme server maps were great fun and fast paced. Going through crazy loops and trying to get the jumps just right not to mention maintaining speed.
Super Mario World: The game I played along with Mario 64 and Diddy Kong Racing before I had any console of my own. Wish I had SNES.
Challenge ProMode Arena: A mod of Quake 3 Arena. This, along with Quakeworld has got to have the highest skill gap in any FPS game. I'm a total noob but I'm enjoying every time I play.
Puba
Coffee & Cigarettes
Subtract from Puba's ReputationAdd to Puba's Reputation Puba IS OVER 9000 Puba IS OVER 9000 Puba IS OVER 9000 Puba IS OVER 9000 Puba IS OVER 9000 Puba IS OVER 9000 Puba IS OVER 9000 Puba IS OVER 9000 Puba IS OVER 9000 Puba IS OVER 9000 Puba IS OVER 9000
Send a message via Skype™ to Puba
01-02-2015

in no particular order
Halo 3
Tony Hawk's Underground
Pokemon Red
Super Smash Bros Melee
Star Wars Battlefront 2

Honorable Mentions:
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
Skate 2
Cod 4 and MW2
Grand Theft Auto 4

Last edited by Puba; 01-02-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Spence
THF VIP Member
Subtract from Spence's ReputationAdd to Spence's Reputation Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000 Spence IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Spence
01-02-2015

5. Cod4
4. WoW
3. Borderlands 2
2. Pokemon Ruby
1. Halo 2
Jarrad
Level 11
Subtract from Jarrad's ReputationAdd to Jarrad's Reputation Jarrad is on the rise to fame Jarrad is on the rise to fame
Send a message via AIM to Jarrad Send a message via Skype™ to Jarrad
01-02-2015

#1 Halo CE
#2 Halo 2
#3 Skate 3
#4 Tony Hawks American Wasteland
#5 Black Ops 1

Honorable Mentions - Every Tony Hawk Game, Destiny, Battlefield and GTA's