Halo 2 Forum > Off-topic > General Gaming > Hardware & Software

Display Modes Thread Tools
iBluNT
still livin' the dream
Subtract from iBluNT's ReputationAdd to iBluNT's Reputation iBluNT is on the rise to fame iBluNT is on the rise to fame
07-29-2014
Default Hard Drive Help

So I just built a new gaming / work rig. For my HD set up, I have a 64GB SSD just for my OS install and any small essential programs / drivers / etc. Then I have a separate 1TB disk drive for my music / games / etc. I figured this would be cost effective without giving up much performance speeds in regards to load / boot times and what not.

Now after doing some random browsing I noticed Seagate has a hybrid SSHD:

EXAMPLE

I was wondering if anyone had experience with these and would recommend that I return my current HD set up and get one of these. Considering I spent $50 on the SSD and about $45 on the separate disk drive. Also - if anyone would think it's worth it without having bought one of these any way. I'm still in the return period and I figured I could just format the SSD I installed my OS on and return it without too much controversy if it ends up being worth it.

Donteeee
Level 12
Subtract from Donteeee's ReputationAdd to Donteeee's Reputation Donteeee finally popped his Bubble Shield Donteeee finally popped his Bubble Shield Donteeee finally popped his Bubble Shield Donteeee finally popped his Bubble Shield
07-29-2014

Say what? A hybrid drive lol. Never heard of this ever. Hope someone has some info.
GT: Donteeee
GT2: ItchyBunny10824

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/donteeeee :)

Alen
Level 28
Subtract from Alen's ReputationAdd to Alen's Reputation Alen IS OVER 9000 Alen IS OVER 9000 Alen IS OVER 9000 Alen IS OVER 9000 Alen IS OVER 9000 Alen IS OVER 9000 Alen IS OVER 9000 Alen IS OVER 9000 Alen IS OVER 9000 Alen IS OVER 9000 Alen IS OVER 9000
07-29-2014

A SSD is better than a hybrid drive.
You won't see better performance if you get a hybrid drive.
Crest
Premium H3F Subscriber
Subtract from Crest's ReputationAdd to Crest's Reputation Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000 Crest IS OVER 9000
Send a message via AIM to Crest Send a message via Skype™ to Crest
07-29-2014

You'll likely see better performance on a hybrid drive than a HD alone, but like Alen said, a hybrid drive is just a normal HD with like 8GB of flash on it.

But yea, I'd probably stick with what you got, though I may suggest getting something bigger than a 64gb, I lived on a 64gb boot SSD. Hell for me.

iBluNT
still livin' the dream
Subtract from iBluNT's ReputationAdd to iBluNT's Reputation iBluNT is on the rise to fame iBluNT is on the rise to fame
07-29-2014

Thanks for the quick responses. Looks like I'll probably just stick with what I've got for now. I'm not doing anything too heavy so 64GB should be good for now - but I'm definitely planning on upgrading sometime soon and I'll just throw replacement parts in a separate small build or something.

I know they make small SSD's just for disk cache so I may do that just to up the speed on my disk drive if it ends up being too slow but I've never really messed with that so we'll see.

Gage
VIP just not in the group
Subtract from Gage's ReputationAdd to Gage's Reputation Gage IS OVER 9000 Gage IS OVER 9000 Gage IS OVER 9000 Gage IS OVER 9000 Gage IS OVER 9000 Gage IS OVER 9000 Gage IS OVER 9000
07-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBluNT View Post
Thanks for the quick responses. Looks like I'll probably just stick with what I've got for now. I'm not doing anything too heavy so 64GB should be good for now - but I'm definitely planning on upgrading sometime soon and I'll just throw replacement parts in a separate small build or something.

I know they make small SSD's just for disk cache so I may do that just to up the speed on my disk drive if it ends up being too slow but I've never really messed with that so we'll see.
You linked to a hybrid drive that's $109.00.
Literally the first thing I clicked on when I searched "SSD" on Newegg was a 240GBSSD for $10 bucks more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&leaderboard=1

Just spend the extra money. Same as Crest, I used a 64GB SSD for a while when they first came out and it was hell. You don't realize just how much space windows 7 + updates + antivirus + "little programs" add up. You'll have minimal space.

EDIT: Just noticed that's actually a $219.99 SSD on sale for $100 off. Hop on it.
Gage
Subtract from Gage's ReputationAdd to Gage's Reputation Gage IS OVER 9000 Gage IS OVER 9000 Gage IS OVER 9000 Gage IS OVER 9000 Gage IS OVER 9000 Gage IS OVER 9000 Gage IS OVER 9000
Maverick
Level 48
Subtract from Maverick's ReputationAdd to Maverick's Reputation Maverick IS OVER 9000 Maverick IS OVER 9000 Maverick IS OVER 9000 Maverick IS OVER 9000 Maverick IS OVER 9000 Maverick IS OVER 9000 Maverick IS OVER 9000 Maverick IS OVER 9000 Maverick IS OVER 9000 Maverick IS OVER 9000
07-30-2014

You'd be surprised how fast that 64GB will be eaten up, I'd at least step up to 120GB. I'm a big fan of the Samsung SSD's, I saw some of those in the Newegg email promos.
iBluNT
still livin' the dream
07-30-2014

Yeah I've used a 64GB before and it ran up pretty fast. Figured I'd need the extra space so I went out and bought that first Kingston 240GB for $105 in store today. Was marked down from $220 so it was a pretty good deal.

Not sure whether or not I wanna keep my 1TB disk drive now. I already have an external 1TB hard drive with a thunderbolt / USB 3.0 partitioned in half for my i7 Macbook Pro and this new build.

Gage
07-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBluNT View Post
Yeah I've used a 64GB before and it ran up pretty fast. Figured I'd need the extra space so I went out and bought that first Kingston 240GB for $105 in store today. Was marked down from $220 so it was a pretty good deal.

Not sure whether or not I wanna keep my 1TB disk drive now. I already have an external 1TB hard drive with a thunderbolt / USB 3.0 partitioned in half for my i7 Macbook Pro and this new build.
If you've already purchased it, keep it as a separate storage drive. All you pictures, documents, videos, music, downloads, etc. go on the storage drive. Now that you have a 240GB SSD, all of your actual programs can run off of the drive.

If you've never used an SSD before, it's going to blow your mind opening and using multiple programs.

Good choice.